Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, Part Three

Default Re: Vegan London, Part Three - 2010

Hey Londoners!
    I'm Bridget. Moving to London from Australia on Boxing Day! I have a lovely little community of like minded vegans here is OZ, hoping I might be able to slot in somewhere over there...
    Plus I need a place to live! Somewhere central. I have a job (teacher) and I'm tidy, nice and healthy. I like riding my bike and watching bands and partying sometimes... but only after taking care of business
    If you know of anyone message me! Also... tell me all of the places I need to go!

Hello Bridget - that's exciting, I think you'll find you've fallen on your feet here as London is pretty vegan-friendly and there are (relatively speaking) quite a lot of vegans here. It's interesting there's a vegan community where you are too.

Re somewhere to live, people sometimes advertise for flatshares etc on http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/notices.htm so you could try that as well, if you haven't already.

Welcome to London, Bridget! Go to Peking Palace in Archway, it's awesome. Visit Ms Cupcake's stall at Greenwich market. Check out Vx at Kings Cross. Have an amazing curry at Rani (Finchley Central) and another at Chutney's (Euston). Tuck in at 222 Veggie Vegan. Get a huge falafel at Maoz (Soho). On your birthday, frock up and go to Manna. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!
    In September, there is a large vegan festival in Kensington, followed by a Christmas Without Cruelty fayre in early December in the same venue.
    If forced to eat out with omnis, suggest going to Pizza Express, where you can get a decent vegan pizza (sans cheese, obviously), or Wagamama, who have several vegan options. Avoid eating in pubs if you possibly can.
    London's a great place to be vegan! You'll have a blast!
    Live and let live

leedsveg

Hi Bridget

No advice because I'm a northerner safely esconced in Yorkshire. Just wanted to wish you well and say that I'm sure you'll find London great for everything you need.

leedsveg

hi kanopa,

Scoop is a non-vegan gelateria that does vegan gelato and sorbetto. The Dark chocolate sorbet is particularly fine.

I'm very excited about this news! I don't believe London currently has an exclusively vegan cupcake shop / bakery does it? (if it does, why the hell didn't I know that?!) Anyway, don't know where, don't know when but the lovely Ms Cupcake assures us on her website that she's opening one in the new future. It'll also sell large cakes, brownies, cookies, puddings, pastries (including croissants) and savouries and will be in an 'accessible' location (whatever that might mean). Could we finally be moving the way of New York with a handful of vegan shops popular with all? I really hope so, and Ms Cupcake is a million miles better than Babycakes in Manhattan.

I almost fainted with excitement when I heard that Ms Cupcake will be opening a vegan cake shop in London. Work takes me to North America once or twice a year and every city I visit has great vegan cakes from a variety of outlets, and this is London's achilles heel, because we don't have an equivalent here. Greenwich market ain't the easiest to get to so a dedicated shop sounds perfect. I have never been so excited to be a Londoner! (I will actually be living in Paris Jan-Jun next year, but shhh... I'll take my London spirit with me.)
    Ooh, this is my 100th post! Squee!
    Live and let live

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    I'm very excited about this news! I don't believe London currently has an exclusively vegan cupcake shop / bakery does it? (if it does, why the hell didn't I know that?!) Anyway, don't know where, don't know when but the lovely Ms Cupcake assures us on her website that she's opening one in the new future. It'll also sell large cakes, brownies, cookies, puddings, pastries (including croissants) and savouries and will be in an 'accessible' location (whatever that might mean). Could we finally be moving the way of New York with a handful of vegan shops popular with all? I really hope so, and Ms Cupcake is a million miles better than Babycakes in Manhattan.
    :O sweet!

what is her website? or is it private?

Sorry, it's here: http://www.mscupcake.co.uk/ but seems to be having a makeover since I looked earlier in the week. Hopefully there'll be updated info re. the shop when it's up and running again at the end of the week...

Thanks

Anyone else going to Animal Aid's Xmas Without Cruelty fayre? I have gone every year since my early teens but am extra excited about it this year for some reason. Maybe because both Ms Cupcake and Sweetcheeks will be there - vegan cupcake heaven! I still miss those amazing boxes of chocolates that the Dr Hadwen Trust used to sell, so it will be nice to have new goodies to look forward to. And Bourgeois Boheme and Freerangers will also be there this year, so a wider range of footwear to choose from. And Brian May will be giving a talk! Ah, so excited!
    Live and let live

Thanks, rainbow - I'd forgotten about CWC but I will come if I can - on the 5th isn't it? I expect my other half will want to come as well if I tell him about Brian May, his hero, but I imagine that part might be a bit oversubscribed.

Sunday 5 December, details here:
    http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS...ing/ALL/2390//
    I may well have left by the time Brian May speaks - I agree that it will be oversubscribed. It gets too crowded in the afternoon, so I tend to arrive early. Might skip breakfast this year to leave more room for cupcakes, he he
    Live and let live

Oops, have edited my post so as not to sow confusion.

It's less crowded in the morning is it? I don't think I have ever made it before lunch

The big crowd-pleasing events, charity auction and end-of-day sales are all in the afternoon, so I used to come then, but I'm mildly claustrophobic so have started coming early in order to avoid the worst of the crowds.
    Live and let live

I'll be there - from open til close!

I didn't make it to the fair - too much work - so have mail-orded my Christmas chocs from Animal Aid. Hope those that went had a nice time? Were there lots of people despite the cold weather?

Hello. I have a question about a possibility of finding Sheese or Cheezly in London. I've been to the Whole Foods Market and I saw it there. Are there any other places where you can get vegan cheese? And maybe someone remembers the prices?

I went to the fair! It was lots of fun. As I said in a previous post, I was there early - I arrived before 11am and was gone by about 12.15, so I missed Brian May unfortunately (but I also had a lot of work so had to get home and get on with it). I made a beeline for some of the cake stalls. I think Ms Cupcake's cakes were best - a bit too much icing, but so beautifully presented and extremely tasty. The icing itself is some of the best I have tasted, just a bit too copious; the cakes underneath are moist and tasty. In second place, Sweetcheeks, who were also great on presentation but just didn't taste quite as good as Ms. Cupcake's beauties. In third place, To Happy Vegans, whose cupcakes looked very pretty but the cake itself was rather dry so I had to eat a lot of sickly icing to wash it down, and felt rather ill afterwards (serves me right for too much cupcake gluttony!). I raided the Vegan Store, Animal Aid, SSOV and Hipo Hyfryd for vegan choccies, and Redwood for Xmas roasts and a year's supply of sausages (and lots of yummy free samples; they have some new ready meals that were really good, using their chicken-style pieces). Also a great selection of charities, including one with rescued baby hedgehogs who were rather curious about all these strange humans staring at them in wonder and cooing at them. Freerangers made a welcome appearance and seduced me with a pair of boots I really want but can't afford (£140! Ouch! But they'll last forever and they're beautiful and they've assured me that they'll still be there next year - seven months of saving £20 a month and those boots shall be mine!). Having mentally committed myself to these boots, I resisted falling in love with anything at the Bourgeois Boheme store, as my wallet can only afford cupcake promiscuity and not footware free love. Surprisingly, however, Vegetarian Shoes and Beanie Wholefoods (Fry's) were conspicuous by their absence, which was a shame, as they are regulars and had big stalls booked.
    A quick check to make sure that my Vegan Soc membership would renew automatically, a grab of a Vegan Runners flyer (still aspirational, but you never know...), and off I went, laden with goodies and very satisfied with my morning. Hurrah for Animal Aid!
    Kanopa - vegan cheese is available in many health food shops, including Holland and Barrett and most independent chains. Typically more than £2 and less than £3.
    Live and let live

Thanks for the report rainbow - it sounds very good. You were commendably thorough in your cake investigations: I must track down that Ms Cupcakes. Really sorry to miss the baby hedgehogs too. Maybe Vegetarian Shoes were snowed up - my friend in Brighton has been.

Kanopa, to add to rainbow's answer, Cheezly is available in H&B and also some supermarkets including Waitrose (possibly not all branches). I think you may need to go to somewhere like Wholefoods or maybe an independent wholefood shop for Scheese - you could always contact them and ask for a list of stockists where you are.

Can anyone recommend any vegan eateries within walking distance (1-2 miles) of Victoria Coach Station please? I'm in London on 31st January and was wondering if anyone could help?

Thank you.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a desert for actual vegan and vegetarian restaurants around Victoria, as far as I know. There is a Pizza Express near the rail station (which is just along the road from the coach station), that could be a good bet. Also there are various chain restaurants and snackbars inside the rail station but I haven't foraged for vegan food in there recently - maybe someone else has.

Default Re: Vegan London, Part Three

As Harpy says, bit of a desert - but there are some options. (thank gracious, as around the area a lot).

Mango Tree has a separate vegan menu (Thai cuisine). There is also a cool little cafe not far with vegan options, called Pimlico Fresh (thanks PR). In Victoria station itself, there's a Yo! Sushi (check allergens menu, request no Mayo etc). I believe there is a Wagamama's nearby as well.

Apologies for no links etc, but on my phone. Goodluck!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Thanks Harpy, Gwydion. I think I might venture along towards Pimlico Fresh as it is only 0.5km from Victoria Coach Station and report back my experience.....

Pimlico Fresh sounds v interesting, please do report. I see it closes fairly early, about 8pm is it? But that's reasonable for a cafe.

So it seems the proper big daddy bustaurant, Rootmaster (stationed at Brick Lane) - is no more

At least for the time being! I walked past there today and couldn't believe it when that bouncing red beauty wasn't in my field of vision. Gutting! Hopefully they are back in action soon, and still local.

Check the website for further info.

Oh no! What happened to Rootmaster?
    Also, any updates on when we might hope to see Ms Cupcake's shop opening?
    I'm living in Paris for a bit, but coming home periodically and back at the end of June. Currently stocking up on French noms (so much better here than ever before!), so would be good to have yummy London goodies to look forward to to tempt me back!!
    Live and let live

Quote rainbow View Post
    Also, any updates on when we might hope to see Ms Cupcake's shop opening?
    If you're on Facebook you can 'fan' her on there, it seems to get updated quite regularly. Last update on shop was on Thursday where she says it'll be open in just over a month.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks Twinkle. I'm not on FB, but I am in London for the last week of February. *hopes and prays that her shop opens before 28 February so I can see, otherwise I'll have to wait until the end of April!*
    Live and let live

I think Ms Cupcake said that her new shop will be in Brixton? Super excited, her cupcakes are amaaaazing. Franco Manca and Cupcakes, perfection!

Was hoping it might be closer to East London, but if Brixton is where she will be at, then to Brixton I shall go! Thanks Troutina.
    Live and let live

One of her assistants suggested (without directly saying so) that the Ms Cupcake shop will be in Greenwich... Who knows?! Thanks for the Facebook tip Twinkle - I've just been checking her website which hasn't been updated since early December!

Quote harpy View Post
    Pimlico Fresh sounds v interesting, please do report. I see it closes fairly early, about 8pm is it? But that's reasonable for a cafe.
    Well, I did make it to Pimlico Fresh on Monday and can report that there were vegan options, though my only disappointment was the fact that you had to share the premises with meat-eaters

Starters - Minestrone or Sweet Potato, Coconut and Coriander Soup £3.50 (opted for Minestrone as the later was not ready when I arrived - tasted ok but not the best I have ever had. Small bowl with plain wholemeal bread, no Pure etc)

Main - Vegan Tuscan Ragout with Rice - £6.80 - (did not order)

Vegan Organic Chocolate Brownie - £2.50 (a bit dry but ok)

Fruit Salad - £2.80 (requested without the natural yogurt and honey). (Large bowl - fresh and tasty consisting of banana, blueberries, grapes, melon, pineapple enough for 2)

It was clean, no adverse smells, the staff were friendly and the seating arrangements are two large communal tables with 4 stools facing the window and a chalk board as the menu.

My personal preference is for solely vegan eateries, but might visit again if in that area.

Thanks for the report, mutuality. That does sound a worthwhile addition to the options in Victoria - perhaps if enough of us go they'll switch to being 100% vegan...well, you never know.

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    One of her assistants suggested (without directly saying so) that the Ms Cupcake shop will be in Greenwich... Who knows?!
    Ms Cupcake is definitely going to be in Brixton. Read how they are getting on so far here.

Pimlico Fresh sounds interesting, thanks for the review. I normally end up at Yo! Sushi if I need to eat at Victoria, it's above WHS in the train station itself. That branch is pretty good and they have quite a few vegans so will veganise dishes that other branches may not if you ask.

Last time I was at Vantra on Soho Street (nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road) they had just opened and were doing a mostly raw self service buffet. This time they have hot and cold food behind the counter at £2 a portion which is pretty similar to what you get at Vita Organic from what I could see. I had a portion of stroganoff and potato salad. Instead of putting them on a plate they give you a tray with an empty side plate and put each food portion into a small shallow bowls which spilled over the edges and I found difficult to eat from. I suppose that might be nice if you were sharing various things but felt a bit messy to me.

However what was interesting to me was the Dim Sum and squares of cottage pie and lasagne (all £3.80 each I think). I was disappointed to see much of the food was not labelled (less than half of the hot and cold food and none of the dim sum) and unfortunately most of the staff weren't really aware of what was in each of the 7 different looking dim sums but I tried what they knew to be a spinach one and it was really lovely. You have to wait about 10 minutes while they steam it. They also have a version of sausage rolls, which is a big portion as you get two, and a sort of samosa. I'll definitely eat the dim sum again and it's something that would be nice to have with a few people so you could try a few (unless they would do a selection plate - I didn't think to ask).

I took home a chocolate truffle (they have several different types) and a slice of raw chocolate cake which was a dense chocolate filling in a thin raw seed base. Neither were quite sweet enough for me and I wouldn't have them again.
    They have hot drinks, wine (house red was very nice) and cocktails. The sign says an a la carte menu is coming soon.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default Croydon

Croydon The Ship pub has a vegan chef and quite a few vegan food options on the menu. They also have soya milk. Food is served 12-8 Monday to Saturday and 12-6 on Sunday. I believe they do a vegan roast dinner but double check if you are making a special trip. I haven't eaten there yet but I plan to soon. (They are talking to their brewery about getting in vegan wines but don't have any at present.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

A petition that may interest fans of Ms Cupcake - I haven't caught up with her and at this rate I never will

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/mscupcake

Thanks harpy! I've signed the petition. Disgraceful. If there are indeed too many cupcake stalls, why not demote the one that doesn't cater to vegans? Or better still, let people vote with their feet - if her cakes are selling out every time, clearly the patrons of the market think she should be there! Maybe she was stealing too many customers from one of the inferior cake stalls and they kicked up a stink instead of raising their game...
    Hopefully this will soon all be irrelevant as she will be focusing all her attention on the new shop. Can't wait!
    Live and let live

In the unlikely event that anyone's looking for a meal in Wandsworth sometime, I wanted to put in a word for the (not very exotically named) Chinese Tonight, 34 Upper Richmond Road, London SW15 2RX. It mostly does takeaway business but you can eat in as well, and I think the food is well above average for a local Chinese restaurant. The manageress is lovely and she does understand about not eating animal products (e.g. she pointed out when someone we were with ordered something with fish sauce in, and also mentioned that they had vegetarian oyster sauce). They have a vegetarian section on the menu which is mostly vegan stuff - just ask them not to put eggs in anything.

If you like Tex-Mex food there are a couple that are worth trying; Mexicali have branches on Wardour St, W1 and Fulham Rd, SW10 and, Benito's Hat are on Goodge St, W1 and New Row, WC2 off Garrick St. You can get pretty good vegan burritos at both.

Thanks for this useful suggestion. I love Tex-Mex but didn't know where to find any in London.
    Live and let live

As above, word for word. Thanks teaboy!

Strong, no sugar btw.

New vegan tea shop/patisserie opening up! October Cafe. Based on Old Street in London.

Website here
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    You spend your whole life waiting for a vegan bakery in London, and then along come two at once! Not that I'm complaining!
    Live and let live

No probs I'm going to go vegan mental when I get my train pass and can get to London for not much!!!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Marvellous! Cute or what.

Cheers for the link.

Wow, thanks Pusskins! Where did you hear about this? I'm even more excited about this than the Ms Cupcake shop as it's much easier for me to get to and I love the idea of a totally vegan cafe with a cute tearoom vibe. Vegan afternoon tea in London with scones, jam and cream and without twenty questions/ that worried feeling that there's non-vegan marg in your sandwiches?! I'm so happy! Let's hope the cakes are as good as Ms Cupcakes....

I'm there! Or at least, that sounds like an excellent place to go for my birthday in July.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

That's great, thanks Pusskins. Bit of a hike from here but could be v handy when I go to the Barbican...

Oh wow! That's my dream. Thanks Pusskins