Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, Part Three

Default Re: Vegan London, Part Three

Quote harpy View Post
    Mind you I think there may be at least 2 pubs called the Coach and Horses in Soho so we'll have to make sure we get the right one!

I am hoping I had the wrong one then, as it was a shocker! :-(

Will have to wait on follow up reports or try again.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

This http://shipscooksstuff.wordpress.com...s-goes-veggie/ seems to establish that it's the one on the corner of Greek Street and Romily Street - the one frequented by the Private Eye journalists. I haven't been in there for years but I remember that it was quite, er, traditional.

What didn't you like, then, Gwydion?

Harpy, I'm hoping that the drinks will all be veggie too but I wouldn't be suprised if not. I also wonder whether there'll be much vegan choice or whether it will be really dairy heavy. I hope not. C&H Greek St doesn't seem like the most obvious choice , being a very traditional 'old mans' pub but if the food is good hopefully it will do well. Looking forward to seeing some reviews on here in due course...

Quote harpy View Post
    What didn't you like, then, Gwydion?
    Mainly this !

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    I'm hoping that the drinks will all be veggie too but I wouldn't be suprised if not. I also wonder whether there'll be much vegan choice or whether it will be really dairy heavy.
    At least half of the (beer) taps were non operational. The amount of those working that were veggie? Can't remember if there was even one. Poor drinks selection overall, and yes, certainly not sticking with the veggie theme on that front. The menu looked very uninspiring and cheese ridden. Besides that, the place was just rather drab and dreary. We left very soon after walking in :-/

That said! This was very soon after the change was announced I think, so maybe they were in the process of outing the old, to make way for the new. Hope so! Will have to try again / await other reports.

Hm, it's not making me want to make a special trip, but I might call in if I'm in the neighbourhood.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept some of the old drinks in order to hang on to the regulars as otherwise it might be commercially dodgy, but I would certainly hope for a phasing-in of veggie and vegan friendly drinks, and clear identification of the ones they have. Oh well, can't moan if I haven't been I suppose!

Does anybody know where I could buy nice vegan muffins in London ?
    I love the vegan and organic blueberry muffin from Le Pain quotidien but I'd like to try others. Vegan cupcakes are more common but I prefer muffins <3

Whole Foods sell a yummy banana muffin! I've bought it at the High Street Kensington branch.
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

A couple of places to order muffins from are listed here http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/shop.htm

They are actually quite easy to make and I don't say that lightly as I am useless at baking

Quote Troutina View Post
    I went for lunch at Urban Eats Raw at the weekend - bit of a mixed experience! The cafe is fairly small with little atmosphere as there is no music, but the staff were (on the whole) really friendly, enthusiastic and helpful. I get the impression they are still finding their feet? I had a large salad, which really was large and brilliant value but really didnt taste very nice. Some parts were quite nice, other parts just tasted odd. It was a mixture of all the salads that they have that day. My friend ordered the cabbage pillows which were really tasty! Next time I would definitely order something like this, which comes with a salad - like the raw pizza or samosas. The dessert was absolutely amazing though!! We had a raw chocolate orange torte, and it was the best dessert I think I've ever eaten! Would definitely return for this. The cafe has no toilets, which is a major flaw (and also, illegal...?) so if they had some installed and started playing music I think this could be a great place to meet for lunch!

i loved urban eats and was totally gutted that they closed!! not many raw foodie places in london where you can buy reasonably priced food!! oh well perhaps that's why they had to close down

^ Aye, gutting. Never got to sample the food there

I had lunch at 42Raw yesterday.

Really enjoyed it! Quite pricey, but guess that's what you come to expect with the location and setting. I had the lasagna and some sort of Basil drink - both very tasty. Not overly big portions, but left full and satisfied. Would definitely go back to sample more of the menu.

One for us sad sorry singletons: Veg*n Singles Event - Take Two!

June 30th - Star Lounge in Harrow

Default Coach and Horses in Greek Street

This (i.e. the Coach and Horses in Greek Street) is a very old and famous Soho pub that has recently started doing exclusively (I think) vegetarian and vegan food.

I know some people have been there and not been impressed but I and 2 omnivorous friends had quite a nice meal there last night. Downstairs is a typical shabby Soho pub but upstairs there is a (n admittedly well-worn) dining room - which I believe is where the Private Eye editorial team have their lunches, wonder if they're vegetarian? They apparently do afternoon tea in there as well and the room is set up for traditional teas with embroidered table cloths, pretty old china cups etc.

The menu is mostly vegetarian versions of pub-type food, I'd say. There are three or four vegan or can-be-vegan main courses. I had fake fish (made from tofu) and chips and mushy (or at least slightly squashed) peas. I thought it was all very well cooked though the fish concept didn't really do it for me. My friends liked their food too. Only vegan pud was fruit salad but I couldn't eat anything anyway after all those chips.

They haven't nailed the vegan wine and beer thing yet but they had Aspall's cider. The people running it seemed nice and friendly.

The pub was crowded and noisy (with someone playing a piano and others singing) but the dining room was empty apart from us. I would definitely go again on the basis of this meal so I hope they manage to stay in business.
    Last edited by harpy; Jun 22nd, 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Default Re: Coach and Horses in Greek Street

Quote harpy View Post
    This is a very old and famous Soho pub that has recently started doing exclusively (I think) vegetarian and vegan food.

I know some people have been there and not been impressed but I and 2 omnivorous friends had quite a nice meal there last night. Downstairs is a typical shabby Soho pub but upstairs there is a (n admittedly well-worn) dining room - which I believe is where the Private Eye editorial team have their lunches, wonder if they're vegetarian? They apparently do afternoon tea in there as well and the room is set up for traditional teas with embroidered table cloths, pretty old china cups etc.

The menu is mostly vegetarian versions of pub-type food, I'd say. There are three or four vegan or can-be-vegan main courses. I had fake fish (made from tofu) and chips and mushy (or at least slightly squashed) peas. I thought it was all very well cooked though the fish concept didn't really do it for me. My friends liked their food too. Only vegan pud was fruit salad but I couldn't eat anything anyway after all those chips.

They haven't nailed the vegan wine and beer thing yet but they had Aspall's cider. The people running it seemed nice and friendly.

The pub was crowded and noisy (with someone playing a piano and others singing) but the dining room was empty apart from us. I would definitely go again on the basis of this meal so I hope they manage to stay in business.
    the wagon and horses?

Coach and Horses - isn't my heading showing up?

As well as Scoop there is now Gelupo Gelateria to tempt us (7 Archer St, near Piccadilly Circus and near where the fancy new Wholefoods is). I tried 3 lovely creamy sorbet flavours - bitter chocolate, coconut and blood orange, but they also had raspberry, white peach, blackberry and lemon. I think the granitas are always vegan too, they had a rose one yesterday that I really wanted to try but I forgot.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm going to be in London on Saturday in the Westminster area. Does anyone know any vegan friendly places nearby? I don't mind getting on the tube just don't want to be traveling miles.

Hi, I can't think of anywhere actually in Westminster (if you mean where the Houses of Parliament are) but if you walk (or take a bus, sorry am not too hot on buses but I know they exist ) to the Soho/Oxford Circus area there are quite a few veg and vegan places - Beatroot, Vantra, Mildreds, Tibits etc.

ETA Le Pain Quotidien is a chain that has vegan things marked on the menu (usually - if not the waiters know what's vegan). They have a branch at Victoria and one at Waterloo, both of which are fairly near the Hs of P. There is somewhere else vegan-friendly at Victoria which is probably mentioned in this thread - think it might be Pimlico Fresh.
    Last edited by harpy; Jul 5th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Also, Wagamama at Waterloo always has a few good vegan options. (And very scenic walk from Westminster.)
    Live and let live

I went to VGANGO! in Battersea, just off Northcote Road, today. It's only a little place, with a sit-down counter and a couple of fridges full of Redwood, Fry's and No Muh cheese and a good fast-food menu of sandwiches, wraps, burgers, hot-dogs, coffee and hot-chocolate, and, Ms. Cupcake's finest as well. The guy who runs it is very friendly and enthusiastic, and has just introduced coffee-shop type loyalty cards. Good news for me, being a Balhamite. I hope he does well.

www.vgango.co.uk

Thanks guys, I ended up going to Tibits. Sat outside and enjoyed the food although I was a bit nervous about how much it was going to cost while placing food on my plate. There wasn't much in the way of Vegan desserts which is a shame.

I'm surprised and disappointed that you didn't find many vegan desserts at Tibits. They have much improved in this area recently. It is possible that some desserts were vegan and you didn't spot them. They normally have a vegan sticky toffee pudding (which is heavenly), a vegan mousse made with soya cream, plus fresh fruit and a muesli dish.
    Live and let live

They did have a summer pudding and fruit and I think something else I didn't fancy but to be honest I always want something like cheesecake or as you say sticky toffee pudding when I'm out. Fruit isn't much of a treat. The things I liked the look of weren't vegan, So maybe it would be fair to say they didn't have the type of pudding I was looking for rather than they didn't have any.

Mm, it's too bad they didn't have the sticky toffee pudding, you'll have to come back Mymblesdaughter! Although I do love summer pudding as well, maybe they were doing that instead.

I think they sometimes do non-vegan cheesecake on the buffet thing which is a bit of a missed opportunity (perhaps we should write to them). They do usually have vegan cake of some kind on the counter, think I had a mango one recently.

Speaking of Tibits, 1 week until the monthly meatless merriment that is London Vegan Drinks.

*cough* *cough*

^ Yep. If anyone wants to catch Gwydion's cough, London Vegan Drinks is the place to be!
    *passes Gwydion a Tibits smoothie*
    Live and let live

Vantra has closed for refurbishment for an indeterminate period apparently :/ (I saw it on Facebook, they don't seem to have updated their website but it's confirmed here http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm.) Vitao is still open, though.

On the plus side, there is a new cafe/deli near Clapham Junction called Vgango. Haven't been yet because it's only open in the daytime. Looks interesting though http://www.vgango.com/ Anyone else been?

Quote harpy View Post
    Vantra has closed for refurbishment for an indeterminate period apparently :/ (I saw it on Facebook, they don't seem to have updated their website but it's confirmed here http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm.) Vitao is still open, though.
    Wow - that is surprising! It is so new....

Quote rainbow View Post
    ^ Yep. If anyone wants to catch Gwydion's cough, London Vegan Drinks is the place to be!
    *passes Gwydion a Tibits smoothie*
    :-D

It'll be gone by then, don't worry - especially if you keep passing me some of them smoothies!

So yes, came join us (? ) - we have booze, smoothies, food, sticky toffee pudding (hopefully) etc. As well as general noteworthy chat n' banter. Fun fun!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd it's that time again.

London Vegan Drinks - Thursday August 16th

I finally made it to Vgango and it's really nice - small but perfectly formed, as they say. The guy in there (possibly the boss) made me a wrap about the size of a house which I thought I wouldn't be able to eat but then did They have a few seats in there but you could buy your lunch and take it to nearby Clapham Common.

They seemed to have a good stock of Vegusto stuff, and also various groceries such as vegan mayonnaise and French grenadine and other syrups. Also Ms Cupcake cookies and some kind of gateaux, didn't ask where that was from but it might have been one of Ms C's.

I will definitely try and git my ass over there again soon. It's about 10 minutes' walk from Clapham Junction I suppose.

Default Re: Vegan London, Part Three - 2010

Hello,

I would like to invite you to my meetup group. This is the link: http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Conscious-Group/

This is a meetup group for vegan people or people interested in veganism that want to be the change they want in this world. It is about bringing together like minded people and bringing peace and harmony to this broken world

Check it out!

Akasha

I haven't been to new veggie French place L'Express Cafe in Brixton yet (15-17 Market Row) but I hear they have vegan options and an all day vegan breakfast. Next time I go to Ms Cupcake I'll be sure to check it out.

EDIT TO ADD
    Only veggie/vegan Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights and daytime Sunday, bring your own alcohol.
    (Thursday- Saturday 7pm-11.30pm, Sunday 9am-4pm)
    Last edited by Marrers; Nov 26th, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: To add info
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ooh, sounds good! I look forward to your review Marrers!
    In sadder news, I went to Thai Veg on Goodge Street last Friday and found that it had closed down. There don't seem to be many left in the chain now. I thought the Goodge St one was one of the better ones and I was really sorry to see it go. Does anyone know if any of the others are still open?
    Live and let live

Is L'Express Cafe supposed to be veggie? It looked more like a greasy spoon that does a veggie breakfast. I didn't go in but couldn't see any mention of vegan options on their menu.

L'Express Cafe in Brixton - I understand this is their second or third week but from looking at the opening days and hours perhaps the veggie chefs only take over the cafe when it is closed in the evenings (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and on Sunday daytime (like Heathers in New Cross used to when they first started out, before they opened their own place in Greenwich as anyone who was vegan in London that long ago might remember!) I hadn't noticed the very restricted opening days and times before and would have visited at the wrong times if you hadn't queried this fatvegan.
    From their Facebook page:-
    New Veggie/vegan restaurant in the Brixton Market row. Serving amazing "french meets world" cuisine with live music, DJs playing old french records, great ambiance. Come and say hi at the Express Cafe (15-17 Market Row) from thursday night to sunday ! (thursday- saturday (7pm/11.30pm and sunday 9am/4pm)

Menu of week - 19th Nov:
    Fondue
    Organic Puys lentil salad with fresh oranges and a warm red wine sauce
    Soupe à l'oignon
    Spicy coconut, carrot and coriander soup
    Haute-Savoie cheese platters
    Reblochonnade wih chestnut pesto, roasted balsamic cherry tomatoes and fresh green salad with a proper vinaigrette
    Forest style tagliatelles cooked with wild mushrooms, crème fraîche, organic white wine, served with grilled aspargus, onnion confit stuffed tomatoes and side salad
    Vegan platter with a lot of vegan goodness (including raw & macrobiotic food)
    All day veggie / vegan breakfast
    Great cakes (lemon pie, fondant au chocolat, etc)

Everything under 10£ !!!

(And it's "bring your own bottle"...)

That explains it then! I was there on Friday morning, lured by the 'all day' breakfast.

I ended up going to the Coach and Horses and was surprised at how quiet it was the whole time I was there (11.30-13.30ish)

I don't think I've heard anything good about the Coach & Horses - what did you eat and what did you think of it?

^ It's disappointing that a vegetarian pub can be so bad at catering for vegans.
    I had a good meal at the Ilford branch of this chain: http://www.saravanabhavan.com/restau...=Essex&rid=66#
    Well worth a trip if you're in that part of town.
    Live and let live

I thought the Coach and Horses was OK the one time I went - think I have written about it further up this thread. IIRC the choice of food for vegans was a bit limited and as we discussed at the time the vegan booze position was not good (not sure if that has changed?), but I enjoyed what I ate (fake fish and chips I think) and I quite liked their dining room. ETA there wasn't anyone else there apart from us I don't think although the pub downstairs was crowded.

EagainTA that I see I didn't like my food that much but it was probably because I made the wrong choice.

I had the tofush, as I'm a real sucker for battered things, which was enjoyable without being fantastic. They also do a decent(ish) cider in Stowford Press

Default Offer at Saf

Saf have an offer via Groupon of a 4 course meal with champagne for £25

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/londo...0_0_347&a=1652

^For 1 - which I find a tad strange?

"Maaaan, I had such a great meal last night. 4 courses. By myself. Yeah, it was awesome"

Maybe they'd let you sit with friends or something I guess.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    ^For 1 - which I find a tad strange?

"Maaaan, I had such a great meal last night. 4 courses. By myself. Yeah, it was awesome"

Maybe they'd let you sit with friends or something I guess.
    Now now let's not judge, some people might like going to restaurants by themselves!
    Houmous atá ann!

If you went in a group with an odd number you'd need to buy a single.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I sometimes eat out on my own e.g. if away on business - I quite like it, with a book. Some restaurants sit you by the loo etc if you only need a table for one but vegetarian and vegan restaurants usually make you feel welcome - so they should!

I love food and I love eating out. It's great to enjoy a meal with good company but I often eat alone too - a lot of my friends can't afford to eat out very often and although I'm happy to treat them sometimes it means if I didn't eat alone I wouldn't eat out as often as I'd like. Other times when I'm out and about til late and want to save myself cooking when I get home I'll go for a meal on the spur of the moment. Like many other people I'm sure, I'll often have lunch on my own when I'm out.

The Gallery Cafe has a very temping vegan Xmas menu from today. I might go there on my own if I'm anywhere nearby next week - feel free to point and stare if you're in there with your mates!
    http://ow.ly/i/1fmgr

Whhhhooaa, case of communication breakdown!

I eat in restaurants by myself all the time as well! I probably wouldn't have a 4 course meal with champagne at somewhere like Saf by myself though - just seems like something that needs to be shared / experienced with another or company.

Fair enough if someone wants to do that by themselves, cool - no offence was meant!

On another not, I reeeaalallllyyyy The Gallery Cafe. That menu looks super tasty, gutted to be missing it!

if anybody is in hackney, there's a cafe called 'brew for two' on morning lane where they sell vegan friendly cakes!! it's so good, i take twinkle toes junior in there every now and then and stuff my face with cakes while having a coffee. also 'gossip' on broadway market have a few vegan sarnies and they sell little pieces of raw chocolate which is nice every now and then (bit expensive though tbh)

I was in Pogo when this email notification came through

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up! Will have to do a sampling spree sometime...

Yeah, have a look! One of the girls who works there is vegan and there's always two or three different kinds of vegan cakes on the menu it's amazing!