View Poll Results: Do you enjoy cooking more now that you are vegan ?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh yeah, loads more

74 54.81%
  • More

31 22.96%
  • No different really

27 20.00%
  • Less

1 0.74%
  • Struggling

2 1.48%

Thread: Do you enjoy cooking more now that you are vegan ?

Default Do you enjoy cooking more now that you are vegan ?

As some non vegans seem to think that vegan food is just a load of old lentils, very dull and boring, and lacking variety, I wonder whether you enjoy cooking more now that you are vegan compared to when you weren't ?

Has being vegan opened up a whole new library of receipes or not ? Do you eat to live or live to eat ? Whats your thoughts ?

I have always loved preparing food, even as a child. I enjoy it so much more as a veggie. I love experimenting with a variety of vegetables, fruit, and grains. The foods I eat and enjoy are definitely not boring. I prefer preparing my meals. I rarely go out to eat.

I never grow tired of preparing meals!

cooking is an obsession of mine! before i was vegan i was a good cook but it was never that fun because it was always the same meals based around meat. but now i have a recipe book overflowing with recipes lol.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

i hate cooking. always have done and always will. and i'm rubbish at it and have no imagination.

i did make a stew with pearl barley the other night (first time i've ever used that stuff) but i shall never know if it was nice as i went bowling and left it cooking on the gas ring when i got home it was black as coal and the place stunk to high heaven and i was lucky i didn't burn the whole gaff down. don't do that kids.

Quote Tofu Monster
    i hate cooking. always have done and always will. and i'm rubbish at it and have no imagination.

i did make a stew with pearl barley the other night (first time i've ever used that stuff) but i shall never know if it was nice as i went bowling and left it cooking on the gas ring when i got home it was black as coal and the place stunk to high heaven and i was lucky i didn't burn the whole gaff down. don't do that kids.

LOL LOL

..mmm pearl barley

Didn't cook much before vegan and now I look for recipes and try loads of new stuff. Love it much more now because no blood/pus/animal secretions!

Hell yeah! I love to cook vegan foods, all of the vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds that I have to work with. I can make magic!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I'm very much an 'eat to live' kind of person. I always have been. I can cook pretty well when I choose to, but I've never really enjoyed it. One trait I didn't inherit from my mum, who reads recipe books like novels! But, I have to say that since becoming vegan in May, I've started to enjoy trying new recipes. My boyfriend, who had virtually never cooked in his life before he met me (it was learn to cook or starve!), now goes mad over vegan recipe books. I wouldn't say that I enjoy cooking 'loads' more now, but certainly more and speaking for my boy, I think he's has discovered a new passion...aside from me obviously!

After many years of cooking for 8, at least twice a day, since being on my own, I'm glad not to have to cook if I don't fancy. Nobody around to say, 'what's for dinner mum?', and nobody to complain! There's an oven in my kitchen, but don't use it. On the rare occasions I cook, it's a saucepan, the grill, or the toaster. Suits me fine!
    Eve

I still really enjoy to cook - but around the same time that I went vegan (last January), I also started working full time - therefore having a lot less time to cook creative meals, compared to how I used to.

"Cooking" is usually reserved for my days off, when I have time to spend pottering around in the kitchen. When I'm working if my evening meal is at home, it is usually something heated up. If I'm eating my evening meal at work, it's usually something bought or taken to work or something from home taken and heated up.

i've found myself cooking more since becoming vegan, partly out of necessity because there are fewer vegan convenience foods available, and partly because i feel the need to eat more healthily and eat less processed rubbish.

i have loads of vegan cookbooks which i bought to make sure i wouldn't be stuck for things to eat, but i only use a select few of the recipes. like you Banana when i try new things they often go horribly wrong! i sometimes get very stressed when cooking. my boyfriend's not allowed to help because he just gets in the way LOL.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

PinkFluffyCloud

I was just thinking that I have come full circle - I really began to enjoy cooking and baking since going Vegan - now it has lead me to eat (almost) all uncooked food!

Vegan food is not dull and boring even though I've been a little tired of cooking dinners lately.We got loads of recipe books and it will probably take a life time going through all the recipes, so when people say it is lacking variety they simply do not know what they are talking about. I enjoy good food and have always been interested in recipe books also before I became a vegan 5 years ago. Now I'm looking for some inspiration to try new spices in my cooking.

I like it. I used to be quite horrific in the kitchen but now I'm pretty brave about putting things together just to see what they would taste like. A lot of times it comes out really good but there have been a few disasters that even the dog wouldn't eat! lol

I love the concept of cooking, it's just the process that I cannot do. I'm learning slowly, and everyday I try something new. But since I have never heard or tasted half of the things I'm cooking, I never know what their supposed to taste like or if it's any good.

But I will never give up! Ever!
    "Can't Fly, Can't Fight, Can't Crow"
    -Rufeo

Quote Gorilla
    i sometimes get very stressed when cooking. my boyfriend's not allowed to help because he just gets in the way LOL.
    Me too!

I love cooking, I always have. Veganism didn't change that for me either way.

Quote Banana
    Me too!
    LOLLLLLLL diddo.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I've always enjoyed cooking ever since I was little, I cooked my own meals from about age 15/16 (when I went vegetarian) as my mum had NO idea of what to cook for me

So no, no different since I turned vegan.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I've always loved cooking, especially trying out new recipes. If I need something to do I'll go into the kitchen and cook. I suppose, since veganism is still fairly new to me, cooking is a huge adventure, so I had to pick 'loads more'. Though I'm sure I'll love it as much even when I've been at it a while
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Ive enjoyed cooking just never really had the chance, but Im making an conscious effort too find time to now and Im so enjoying experimenting. Boyf doesnt understand my liking for seeds 'dont you get little plants growing inside you?' I think he was half serious...

Default Re: Do you enjoy cooking more now that you are vegan ?

I go through phases - sometimes I cook a lot, sometimes I don't cook at all. Since I have started working, I have had less time, but more money to buy convenience food. I don't buy crap though. I buy minimally processed things (hand-made, rather than machine made) and it is mostly organic. I should cook though. I am just too lazy. Oh well

I've always enjoyed cooking, and I'm glad that i'm a good cook. I never buy processed food, I tend to make it myself. Since being vegan I've made up a load of lush new recipes. Even if i'm tired i'll cook myself something, as I like to know exactly what is in my food. Ready meals/processed foods are full of sugar and salt, and you don't need to add it!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Quote sophia
    Ready meals/processed foods are full of sugar and salt
    The things I buy are not, which is why I am happy to consume them. But I agree that nothing beats home cooking .

I used to do hardly any cooking - it tended to turn out bad unless it was dead simple, although I seemed to be ok with cake and biscuit making! But now that I'm vegan, I have found more enjoyment in trying out recipes, and sometimes they turn out quite ok! I'm not working at the moment though so I have plenty of time to do it. My hubby used to do dinner every night but nowdays it's more 50/50 or he does it slightly more often really.

Since you have to read so many ingredients labels as a vegan, I really noticed how many additives and things are in foods, but also some stuff that you could easily make yourself. I tend now to prefer making stuff myself than buying it ready made - salad dressing for instance. I look at it in the supermarket, but see loads of stuff I don't even know what it is and E numbers and stuff so I just end up deciding I'd rather make one of the dressings out of my shelf full of vegan cookbooks instead. At least I understand what's in it and when it was made!

Shortly after deciding to go vegan, I bought a few cookbooks, then a few more, and now I have quite a lot. I love to browse throught them, and decide what looks nice to try one day, and they also just give me ideas for making my own stuff up. I can't wait until we get to move, so that I can buy up all the other books I've had my eye on. Then you just have to pick about three books a week and choose meals for the week from them, and some different books the next week, etc... fab!

sugarmouse

I love cookin now, alot more than i did when i was just a veggie.Scruffyhead helps with his constant praise though! i like positive encouragemnti am an 'eat to live'person aswell definitly,but its a little hobby of mine is creating food thats nice.

you are so good at it though never in my life have i tasted food like sugarmouse makes, i think certain people are just naturally born with this gift if sugarmouse opens a vegan resturant then you are all invited, and you will taste what i mean....

sugarmouse

your the only personm ever to praise my cooking though ScruffPot

I looove cooking now.
    I've always liked baking and still do, but I never used to be that interested in cooking meals, soups and casseroles and whatnot, but now I really enjoy it, and it's exiting. I haven't been vegan very long really, so there's still lots of new things to try and experiment with.

I never really cooked as an omnivore. But now I cook often and I like it. Only if I cook for myself. I hate cooking for people.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I love cooking, but i tend to eat cook the same stuff every week which gets kind of boring. However since becoming a vegan in July I have bought some cookbooks and made some interesting dishes that my omni mother loves. Now i cook breakfast on sunday mornings so I can enjoy vegan pancakes. There is not much to eat at restaurants for vegans at breakfast.

omg it has been TOO LONG since I've had a 'fry-up'!!!

Veggie bacon, hash browns, beans, toasts, grilled tomatoes, some veggie sausages.... omg I'm DYING for one now!!! but have to wait till sunday probably

sorry for that outburst, it's just Mermaid reminded me of breakfast, and a great hearty one at that!!! ooooh!!

StarShine

Yes, I enjoy cooking vegan meals sooooo much more.

My reasons as they apply to meat itself:

1. No more BLOOD! - There is nothing more gross then an animals blood on the kitchen counter or sink.

2. No more CONTAMINATION - Raw meat contaminates, so I had to clean 'extra' to make sure all the germs were gone. yuck.

3. No more waiting for meat to THAW - It can be a pain to thaw meat. It drips around its area and needs to be cleaned up and cooked properly.

4. I like the FEELING of cooking foods that are 'closer to the source' - Eating animals that eat the grains? Why not just eat the grains and avoid the middleman, cost, and guilt of taking a life. That how I view it. We can get all we need from the ground and that feels good. I take pride in cooking 'source' foods.

5. Easier to cook, IMO - I throw rice and beans in the steamer. Grab a few vegetables, and I'm good. No messing around with refridgerating, thawing, and cooking using a high amount of electricity, ex stove and oven for ground beef and chicken vs a steamer...

Meat sucks. Makes me wanna puke.

I am sometimes very lazy about cooking (especially for myself!). Sometimes I have to 2 or 3 different things for my husband and kids, so by the time I get to cooking my own food I don't have any imagination left for it.
    Lately, though, I have become much more confident about cooking vegan food. I still cook very simple meals, but I've started cooking a lot of beans and stir-fried veggies, and I must say they taste delicious!

pavotrouge

Ok, I have been cooking on a regular base for only about three years, of which I was an omnivore for two years, veggie for maybe half a year and vegan since March, but I find I enjoy cooking more and more (being away from home for at least 10h every day, cooking is actually the hobby that gets the most attention since it's necessary)- this might not only be because I went vegan, but because it took some time to master the basics.

But then, there is a lot more variety in what I cook and I have always hated cooking with eggs and meat (especially cutting it...yuck!).

I've also become addicted to cookbooks and my own recipe book is steadily growing.

Right and I hated baking with milk and eggs, it always ended up in a desaster...nowadays I'm still not too keen on it, but have my muffin/scone/cupcake periods every once in a while ;-)

Yeah, heaps more. I didn't really cook much before going vegan.

PainterLady

I love cooking more now than I ever have! It is a fun and exciting challenge for me to turn old comfort foods vegan. I love it!

I enjoyed cooking a little bit before becoming vegan. I suppose you could say I liked the mixing, but the end product was never very satisfying. Liquid cookies and stone bread, mainly.

Went vegan and suddenly baking was so much easier. I can make cakes now! I never thought I'd be able to. And recently I've ventured into more stove-top cooking whereas I used to fall back on microwaving or pre-cooked foods. Haha, it's an adventure and now I'm making my grocery list for my two new interests: Vegan Lasagna and something called General Tao's Tofu (found on vegweb)!

It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day and my family doesn't mind having home-cooked meals, even if the meals are vegan and they're not.

pavotrouge

I feel the same about baking, Bic.

My ovo-lacto baking attempts always turned out rather gross...plus, I've only got a small, yet very powerful toaster oven these days. It would never manage a cake with eggs, but vegan stuff is fine!

sprite1986

I'm probably about the same I think. I'm mostly an eat to live sort of person in terms of cooking, when i'm on my own. Just because there doesnt seem much point in putting too much effort into it. But I love cooking for other people, and I love looking through recipe books deciding what to make.

I've just moved and while I don't have a full kitchen of all-occation vegan groceries and my whole collection of vegan cookbooks, I haven't felt like cooking the way I usually did. I think it's because I think I would try to make something and find I don't have the ingredients, or just that I can't really make anything without putting it on the shopping list, and that just leads to annoyance and that makes me not enjoy the cooking. Plus it's really hot here! I did make some banana muffins the other day. My first hurdle was realising I didn't have any scales to weigh out the ingredients - I had thought the recipe was in one of the american books that use cups and spoons rather than grams - so I had to guestimate it by size of the bag of flour/sugar etc. And then I realised I had no baking soda, sent hubby to look in the corner shop but there was none there, so just left it out in the end (I thought I'd be ok because I was using self raising flour, but when I started making it, I realised the recipe was for SR flour, with additional BS!). But in the end they turned out fine, and actually rather nice, although I had to switch the oven to grill for the last few minutes as the tops weren't browned. They were yummy, although they were stuck to the paper cases. They don't seem to do that the longer time before we eat it (I mean when we ate them warm, lots of muffin was stuck to the paper case when we peeled it away, but the day after next (or maybe it's still the day after, LOL!), the case comes away almost perfectly!).

I've loved cooking since I was a child, but I didn't really get creative and invent my own recipes until I went vegan (and needed cake). I'd say I definitely enjoy cooking more.

Jippia

Ever since I really started to cook, I have enjoyed cooking. That has not changed at all. The only thing is that I come home at twenty past six on a work day. Nowadays, my husband cooks on those days, so I only need to feed the animals their vegetables (one rabbit and four guinea pigs). Other days, I like to do the cooking and prepare a nice meal. Because I do not use cheese and eggs anymore, my repertoire is not as big as it was when I was a vegetarian.

pavotrouge

I never come home before 8 PM on a usual work day... that doesn't take the joy out of cooking though, it makes it a relaxing routine somehow.

I voted for "loads more".

As an omni, I didn't cook. Whoever it was who mentioned liquid cookies and stone bread - you got it in one! The only thing I could make was my very own "pasta slop" (yes, that's what it looked like) and also plain buns. Nothing else came out right so I gave up and used ready meals a lot.

I also felt a bit uninspired because pretty much all recipes seemed to be based around the same basic and familiar ingedients. Yawn...

Since going vegan, I've felt both challenged and excited by the possibilities! New ingredients (I've had to google to find what some of them are - I'd never heard of them before!), new flavours, new textures and appearances to dishes.

My first attempts at some things have been shaky, but I'm getting steadily better and more confident. If something doesn't turn out quite right, I can usually tell what I need to do next time to repair it. My omni OH has really enjoyed a lot of the new food and is happy to follow my vegan meal planner each week.

I'm considering buying some cookbooks, though there are so many excellent free recipes available on the internet that I'm not sure it's necessary!

As mentioned, it's a great help having a full range of ingredients available - I spent some money before going vegan stocking up on beans, spices, herbs, flours, etc. Now when I do the supermarket shop I usually find that I only need to put in some fresh veg to make the recipes I had in mind - I've already got the other ingredients.

So at the risk of sounding all pink 'n' fluffy, going vegan has really transformed my whole approach to (and feelings about) food and cooking

Definitely "loads more" - anyone that has ever looked at the food pics thread will be able to tell that