Thread: Giving being a vegan a trial run. Tips please?

MasonMaddness

Default Giving being a vegan a trial run. Tips please?

Hi Everyone.

I would love to be a vegan. So, here is my question, can any of you please give me tips and tricks that help you/helped you?

I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
    ~Mason

*edit*
    Thanks for all the advice and such so far (:
    Two days into the trial and feeling surprisingly well.
    My main reason for going vegan is for the animals and for my own health. I've been a vegetarian for almost 3 years, so at least that part is over. haha

Default Re: Giving being a vegan a trial run. Tips please?

Welcome

What specific kind of tips are you looking for?

I guess the main thing I would say is don't just cut out meat/dairy/eggs and eat what you'd normally eat without them but make sure you're getting enough protein, carbs, vits etc, so you don't fall foul of what happens to some people when they do that, which is a month down the line not feel well, and blame veganism when it's just that they've been living on lettuce!

Get a decent vegan cookbook or visit a reputable website like the vegan society's one - either will have a list of useful starter tips. Or ask here about anything you're not sure of. Good luck!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hello Mason.

My main tip is to accentuate the positive: think of as many vegan things as possible that you like eating and then you will be treating yourself rather than feeling deprived. Also, don't be too hard on yourself and get discouraged if you make a mistake, which you're almost bound to do at times.

Have a browse in the forum as there is loads of helpful advice. Look forward to hearing how you're doing!

Firegirl

Smile Re: Giving being a vegan a trial run. Tips please?

Hi Mason

I've just started out as well. Being prepared was useful; I'd bought a good cookbook and already stopped eating dairy products, so soya milk already tastes good! Just made sure I had plenty of veggies, rice, soy sauce and fruit and nuts in the house and at work to keep me going. Last night I cooked my first vegan meal - chickpea burgers - which were scrummy. Joining this forum and reading lots of information seems to help; yesterday I cried when I thought about all the animals that have suffered so I could eat, when all along there were other things available.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Firegirl

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Out of interest, what was your main reason for going Vegan? (health/animals/environment/mixture?).

As for advice, try and find your local health food stores, or try and visit a really decent veggie/vegan restaurant to see what amazing things can be done with food.

Oh and get a decent Vegan cook book, can be very useful

RubyDuby

Quote MasonMaddness View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I would love to be a vegan. So, here is my question, can any of you please give me tips and tricks that help you/helped you?

I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
    ~Mason
    Stay motivated. Remember the reasons you're doing it. Don't get caught up on what you can't have. Remember it's for the animals and not about going without. There are so many more options that open up and once you start experimenting with different recipes and new foods your taste buds change.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I just ate a lot when I first went vegan. Hunger is the enemy. It is quite easy if your belly is full.
    context is everything

I made the change in January. It's easy diet wise if you are well stocked with good whole foods. I found a couple of vegan snacks I could pick up if I needed something quickly, or to take in my bag when out and about. I bought a great cookbook, and joined the Vegan Society 30day pledge. The Vegan Society send an email with lots of attachments full of advice on nutrients etc. Keep lots of fruit about to eat too.

Harder was veganizing my house, and I'm not fully there yet, but almost.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Hi there, you're about to have your life changed for the best. First of all, if you've been eating lots of meat and dairy in the past, be ready to experience a bit of a detox for the first few weeks, which means, you may actually feel worse at the beginning (stomachace, bloating, farting!, tired) since your body finally has more energy to sweep out the bad toxins you've been stacking up.
    I'd recommend you also have a lot of ready-made stuff to eat if you're hungry and in a hurry:
    - canned beans/chickpeas/lentils
    - frozens peas/Fries/bread
    - pitta bread or tortillas
    - your favourite but vegan dips
    - bananas and nuts (plus dates, raisins, dry apricots, pine nuts!)
    - good quality soy milk
    This way you can just easily chop off some veggies or salad and have a quick
    salad in a tortilla, or a sandwich with fruit (banana and dates, yum), or a smoothie if you prefer.
    HAve a snack of nuts and dry fruit with you all the time, while you find the right balance for you.
    have fun cooking up new recipes.
    my favourite vegan cookbook is the Vegan Table but any vegan blog will give you plenty of ideas.
    Also, use the freezer. Try to make your fave. vegan burger (my personal fav is lentil burger, with pinenuts and bread crumbs and onions). It may take an hour but you'll have 20 burger for hte rest of the month !
    Finally, don't worry too much at all about proteins and vitamins etc cause vegans eat a MUCH more balanced and healthful diets than non vegans. The ONLY thing you MAY want to worry about (just like non vegans should) is calcium and B12.
    just take a b12 tablet once a week and you'll be ok.
    As for calcium, just make sure you drink water high in calcium and/or take some calcium fortified foods or just eat plenty of white beans, chickory, green-leaf veggies and almonds.
    That's it, don't worry about anything else.
    If you're hungry and tired the first week, just eat more.
    that's it.
    then your body will find its balance and you'll love it.

I finally rediscovered how tasty veggies and fruits are, even raw.
    I was always covering the taste with so much cheese and salt and yuck...!
    all the best