Thread: Oat protein

Default Oat protein

I was looking at alternative sources of protein that aren't imported from abroad, ie soy,lentils,chickpeas etc and that can be grown in this country and thought of oats: they can have a high (8-20% protein) and complete content of protein, but to get the 'RDA' of 50g you'd need to eat 250-600g of it a day, and I was wondering if it's possible to make a sort of wheat free seitan with it.
    Either by getting oat flour and soaking it in water to leach out all the carbohydrates, or a way I've heard it done with tofu is to boil soymilk until it forms thick skins and take them off, I'm thinking it might be possible with oats as well, will have to test to see if oats boiled for ages will form a skin.
    Or, link shows that you can also make tempeh with the oats, not sure how difficult it is to get the culture/grow it but it could be done, also for what to do with the leftover carbs in the oats after the protein's taken out they could be used to grow mushrooms/mycelium for further protein out of them.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Default Re: Oat protein

My only issue with that is that I don't think it's healthy to get all your requirements for one nutrient from one food source only.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    My only issue with that is that I don't think it's healthy to get all your requirements for one nutrient from one food source only.
    Of course not, but it is a complete protein and it's definitely not the only protein source that would be eaten. Just wondering if it can be done really.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I'm sorry, not that I don't support your idea of making food from oats, oat is not a complete protein.

http://www.alive.com/1853a5a2.php?su...read_cramb=463
    http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html

But eating a variety of foods will create complete proteins (whether or not you food combine).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

boatsteem1

A friend of mine who is a great botanist and was vegan for several decades did a project many years ago where he and others lived off salad for two years. They only ate different kinds of salads and yeast. The idea was that by combining different types of salad that had different sets of amino acids they would supply the body with all the eight essential amino acids.

Like somebody pointed out above, oat doesn't have all the essential amino acids but with a bit of research you can combine it with other food sources to get all eight in the same meal.

An incomplete protein does not mean it is lacking in essential amino acids; it means that one or more amino acids may be not be represented in a ratio ideal for humans. In the case of oats, it is only slightly low in lysine (4.1%) whereas 5.1% would be ideal. Note that you can still get all the amino acids you need by simply eating a little more oat protein. For example, if you were stuck on a ship at sea with only bags of oats and need 60g protein/day you would just need to eat 60 x 5.1/4.1 = 75g of oat protein which you could get by eating 1600calories of oats, but who eats just one food all day!

Fungus, I was wondering if you tried making oat 'seitan' and had any joy with it?

Of course variety is the key to good nutrition, which is exactly why ideas like this are so interesting!

Apricots contain lysine, and sometimes I chop a couple of dried onto my porridge. There you have the complete set of amino acids.
    But I don't usually worry about eating all the amino acids in one meal. If you eat a good plant based diet containing different grains, seeds, peas, beans, nuts, fruit, veg etc, then like most other primates, you automatically get enough of all the amino acids as you go along.
    Last edited by leela; Jan 25th, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling

What about hemp protein? Can even get the hulled seeds, in australia it is illegal for consumption but you can purchase organic hemp hearts as "animal feed".
    Check it out, it goes great on salads, smoothies and in baking