Thread: Sunday lunch in Lewes

mango

Default Sunday lunch in Lewes

Hello all, looks like I haven't been on this forum since 2007. Oops! Anyway, I'm meeting my parents in Lewes on Sunday and looking for a place for lunch. A few people have said Seasons but they're not open on Sunday. I've also been told of a place called Buttercup Cafe. Does anyone know if the Snowdrop still does any decent vegan stuff? Ta.

Default Re: Sunday lunch in Lewes

I might be too late but . . . this post is from a year ago but it might be worth giving these pubs a ring to see what they can do for you. You could also try calling The Snowdrop although I'm sure I heard they aren't too good for vegans anymore.

eta I'm not sure how vegan friendly the Buttercup Cafe is (I know they don't do vegan cakes) but the details are here.

Bills might also be worth a look although aside from a houmous bap I've not eaten there - more veggie-friendly than vegan I think.

Let us know if you find anywhere.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I was in Lewes last week trying to get some lunch; I asked one of the waitresses in Bills if they had anything suitable for vegans, and she handed me a menu and said that everything veggie and vegan was labelled- it wasn't! And did Bills always serve meat? I thought it started veggie? Anyway they had nothing which appeared to be vegan. I have visited before, and asked what they could make me, which followed plenty of "uuuummm" before I offered the suggestion of a sandwich... "uuuuumm". Maybe a houmous and salad sandwich? "Ummmmmm yeaaaah".
    Super helpful. And when it turned up, it had butter in it. So it had to be remade.
    It's a shame because it's such a beautiful cafe and shop! The day that I was in Lewes, Seasons was closed so we went to a small sandwich shop opposite which had plenty of things to make a delish vegan sandwich/ baguette/ salad. Takeaway only though.

Just realised I'm too late for you anyway! Where did you go in the end? Haven't heard of Buttercup before!

Mousee!!

Biils certainly has gone downhill since it was sold off.
    i orefer the picnic approach to Lewes. cliffe(sp) high street has many good shops to get stuff and plenty of green places to sit.

I wouldn't touch Bills with a Bargepole to be honest, either before or after it was taken over.

I can confirm that The Lewes Arms is still the same as it was when I made my original post - as in veggie burger and Chilli are still vegan - and are still good value for money.

Seamus, your spelling of Cliffe is spot on (it's a bit like Camelot – it's a silly place! )
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!