Thread: I need advice

Default I need advice

I'm the president of Moldavian Vegetarian Union ( http://uvem.org ) and I was contacted by local TV they want to make an interview with me about vegetarianism (not about veganism, mind you, but there is Orthodox Lent now, and it's almost vegan and it might be a good opportunity to talk about vegan-ism too)
    What would you advice me? How to prepare to it? Have you had similar experiences?

Default Re: I need advice

Buna ziua! Make sure you're ready to answer every sort of question, from how you went vegan to B12 and be prepared for criticism. Be sure to point out about the similarities between Orthodox Lent and veganism though, it'll make people be able to relate to it more and make it seem less strange. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Maybe emphasise that it's about individuals making an ethical decision and living by those priniciples. Vegans are often presented as humourless kill-joys who want to forbid others to eat meat and dairy - and that's so far from the truth. I'd love everyone in the world to be vegan, but my only responsibility is for my own life and my own choices.

Don't fall into the trap of sounding extreme... even if they push you! Personally i would ask the Vegan Society in the UK and/or Viva as they have quite a lot of experience dealing with the media.

Best of luck!

If they want you to talk about vegetarianism and not really mention vegan, I would not put emphasis on egg or dairy eating. Of course, I know you wouldn't be promoting that anyway. But veganism is a type of vegetarian diet.

I would definitely tie it into the Orthodox Lent. My family is Orthodox so I know how it all works. I find a lot of people who are "fasting" (eating no animal products) for Lent are nowhere near as strict as vegans. They might still consume margarine with dairy and not carefully check ingredients (only assume something is free of animal products). I would let them know that although it's very similiar to Lent, it's more about personal choice and some of the requirements are different (like it's not okay to have shellfish or something on a special feast day).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Also if Lent is about self-denial it might be good to let them know that veg*ism isn't. You can eat dessert and all the rest of it as long as it's veg*n. Otherwise people might be thinking that they couldn't bear to keep it up all the year round ? (Although I must say the Lenten foods that I've eaten in Greece were quite delicious and not at all frugal.)

It's great you've got that opportunity Sergio - I hope it goes well, do let us know.