Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice to a 16 year old 'you'?

Default Re: Advice to a 16 year old 'you'?

Well seeing as I'm 16 now...
    Things I'm currently working on-

Learn more about cooking and nutrition. Doing well on this one, so just continue!

Don't allow grandfather to walk all over me. He is a disgusting, child m*lesting SOB and I do NOT have to interact with him.

Continue to nurture the few but healthy relationships I d have.

Start new relationships with more (mature) people my age. We'll have to see how the cards play on this one.
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Well it wasn't all that long ago since I'm 19, but I think all I'd have to say is - Stay the hell away from Ryan, cutting him out your life completely is the best decision you could ever make, appreciate Jak - there isn't any better, this is fact, don't doubt it!.
    Other than that I don't have any regrets or anything I would have advised myself on because through lots of mistakes i've made and stuff, things have always worked out better in the end or at least taught me life lessons so i wouldnt change them. And I would like to say hold onto people like old friends but at the time when i felt them slipping away i did hold on as hard as i could and they slipped away anyway, so maybe a bit of advice is to let people go easier since it'l save a lot of heartbreak for me! =]

RubyDuby

Be nice.

(advice to 16 year old me)
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

• become vegan
    • don't waste your time with Jordan
    • be straight with people, don't sugar coat everything. feelings will get hurt wethere you mean to or not
    • don't do drugs
    • if you eat well and excercise you will feel so much better about yourself
    • you are not fat or worthless
    • calm down before talking to mom
    • don't let her bribe you into going to church
    • mom's not a bad person, she just doesn't know how to communicate or admit that her way might not be right

Quote aspin231 View Post
    well seeing as i'm 16 now...
    don't allow grandfather to walk all over me. He is a disgusting, child m*lesting sob and i do not have to interact with him.
    ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Rocket Queen

At 16 I had moved out of home and had a house and stuff and was working and things were a lot more ok in my head than they are now, so I can't think of anyhing. If this thread was 'to yourself aged 5' or 'yourself aged 21' I may have more to say!although I may say, stay skinny, losing weight's a lot harder than maintaining it!
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

I'd say - treat every day as if it is your last and try to be a good person. You never know how long your life will be.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

1) Go vegan! You'll feel better in so many ways.
    2) Break up with Charles and get as far away from him as possible.
    3) See a psychiatrist.
    Eat your veggies!

Keane

Forget about 'A' Levels and planning to go to university and apply to do a craft apprenticeship instead. That is the only significant thing I would do if I could turn the clock back the best part of 30 years.

Quote Sarabi View Post
    4. I love you.
    I think that's so lovely!

Here are mine -
    1. Spend more time with your Grandad - he'll be gone in just a couple years and you'll miss him so much more than you thought possible...
    2. While you can coast through school/first year of uni, if you really study you'll make yourself proud and do even better
    3. Don't waste time striving for your parents' approval - do what you know is right for you and you'll do great!
    4. Learn how to be sensible with money, it'll save a lot of stress later on.
    5. Have more respect than to hang around waiting for Alec to realise that he likes you and be over his ex... By the time he does, it'll be too late and you'll just open yourself up to immense heartache
    6. Join okcupid, you'll meet the love of your life through it!
    7. Stay in touch with Solayr, Sarah and Ashley - they really are true friends!
    8. Do some research, and become vegan, it's easy in Edinburgh and there are no excuses!!!

I like you Charley333!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    I like you Charley333!
    Awww thanks! What a nice welcome to the world of veganforum posting

P90X Vegan

My advice to myself: "hi, how are you? keep being Vegan!"
    (I just turned 16.)

Well I'm 16 right now so... Erm.... -Walks away awkwardly-
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

VagabondVegan

Advice to me: 'Dude...chill the fuck out...seriously...'

Quote VagabondVegan View Post
    Advice to me: 'Dude...chill the fuck out...seriously...'
    Same... I got so worked up over everything at 16.

I was pretty relaxed at 16 I suppose I'd tell myself
    -Why I need to become vegan
    -Not to buy the Civic I liked downtown cuz the transmissions just going to fall out of her
    -And Screw the Fairmont and just move out west! I'll love it, and I didn't want to be a dishwasher anyhow

Love yourself, forgive yourself & don't be so hard on yourself either. Everyone's scared. Things will get better when you're older, even if you can't imagine it now. Don't expect so much of yourself, try to be yourself as often as you can and do whatever you think might be fun. Most importantly, trust your feelings, they are right!

1. If your pissing off the good guys then your doing something wrong.

2. If your pissing off the bad guys then your doing something right.

3. If your not pissing off anyone then your doing nothing at all.

4. Those who don't ask don't get (entirely contrary to what m'mum'n'dad insisted was actualy the case ...)

5. It hurts less to stay up and fighting than it does to lie down and get kicked in the head.

6. The ratio of ways that anything worthwhile cannot or can be done is roughly infinity to one.

7. Being able to talk the hind legs off a donkey is a lifeskill and a highly profitable one!

8. The price of lying, without getting caught, is having to remember every word you ever said.

9. When your head and your heart don't agree then follow your heart not your head.

10. A real man does not make people feel frightened. A real man makes people feel safe.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Don't wait 11 years to dye your hair pink!
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

I would say "don't ever give in" and probably "get a haircut and take a shower".

leedsveg

Advice to Leedsveg when he's 5 years old (and 16 will be too late):

Don't complain about pains in your knees because there's really nothing wrong with them. You'll be in hospital (for "observation") with your legs in plaster for a year and when you come out, you'll be psychologically damaged for life (but you won't realise that fact for many years).

lv

So wasn't there anything wrong at all, lv? Seems a weird overreaction, even in those days.

I am curious too leeds....

leedsveg

Hi Slack and harpy

Suspected osteomyelitis. I was laid up in hospital for a year, both legs in plaster attached to weights hanging over the end of the bed. By the end of a year's "observation" and without any definite diagnosis, my parents had had enough and said they were taking me out so that I could go on a family holiday. I never returned to the hospital, nor did I finish up in a wheelchair in my teens as was predicted. My poor dad had to carry me a fair bit on holiday because I'd slightly forgotten how to walk. Nearly 60 years later, I'm looking forward to doing a couple of half marathons this year and possibly a full marathon next year. It's not just me. Recently my older sister Stella revealed that she felt neglected as a child because she was often sent to her grandparents when my parents were visiting me (which was very often).

lv

I wonder what it is about baby boomers - probably the strict adherence to authority figures that screwed us all up. Advice to 16 year old me - kill yourself now it isn't worth it.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

what's up Vava? Pm me if I can help at all.

Sounds grim lv. At least your parents got to visit a lot - I've read that wasn't always the case

Aww Harpy so sweet thank you v much - nothing immediately up but just when I look at my life as a whole the happiness is very much outweighed by the slog and also I don't think that I have contributed anything to mankind as a whole. Just doesn't seem much point in the whole process really.

OIC - I guess we all have days when things look like that. Personally I think the idea that things need to have a "point" is probably a by-product of the way human minds work - other animals just seem to get on with it.

But in your case you make life a lot jollier and more interesting for the people you come into contact with, so perhaps that's the "point"

Quote harpy View Post
    OIC - I guess we all have days when things look like that. Personally I think the idea that things need to have a "point" is probably a by-product of the way human minds work - other animals just seem to get on with it.

But in your case you make life a lot jollier and more interesting for the people you come into contact with, so perhaps that's the "point"
    I have no idea what you mean but I am flattered by your kind words. Thank you m'dear!

LuVegan15

1. Don't waste time on the internet.
    2. Get out into the world; have fun.
    3. Well done for already being vegan.
    4. Fanfarlo is an amazing band, go look them up.
    5. Save money, don't waste it.
    6. People aren't worth it.
    7. Stay away from people named callum.
    8. You can do anything and you're going to save the world. Keep going, and smile.

1. Your parents are right. Your dreams of doing music and drama are worthless - you're not that good and even if you were it wouldn't matter. Suck it up and get a job on the tills in the supermarket. You can and will be happy with an ordinary life like everybody else.

2. You are gay. That's fine. Life will get better after high-school. Don't try to 'make it work' with men. It won't, and you'll only make yourself and those men unhappy.

3. For the love of all that's holy, stop wearing those ridiculous clothes.

4. Get glasses. If you don't you will seriously damage your eyes and bitterly regret it.

5. You are enough. You don't need to impress anyone, or pretend to be someone you're not.

6. Watch Buffy. You'll love it.

1) Don't be so hard on yourself.
    2) The only shoes that you have to fill are your own.
    3) Things are going to get hard, thats OK. No one ever said life would be easy.
    4) There are 2 people you should not trust (I & M). GET THEM OUT OF YOUR FAMILIES LIVES NOW - They will cause irrevocable damage if you dont.
    5) Treat you friends like your friends and your enemies like your enemies.
    6) Start reading the Harry Potter books.
    7) Grow a pair, get out the house and get a job.

Im not going to say "Go Vegan Now", because I think thats a given.

BlackBow

I can't give any good advice to my 16 year old self because I'm only 15 lol.

Well, you could, BB - just in case you forget what you're intending to do next year

Don't give so much of yourself to mean people. They will only stab you in the back 100 times and make you miserable.

Don't burn yourself out with selfdestructive things. You will live to see the consequences, and you will regret it. The true meaning of life and happiness will not be found at the bottom of the bottle, no matter how hard you look.

Stay in school, Deal with life, suck it up. There isn't any other way that is better.

Stick to the people that share your values in life, who want to make positive changes in the world. Stick to what you believe in.

1. You are not fat so don't start what will eventually be an eating disorder.

2. Go vegan now, not just vegetarian.

3. Look at yourself in the mirror! 'Goth' does not look good on you, make an effort with what you look like!'

4. Don't get tattooed when you're 17, you'll only have to fork out Ł500 to have it removed when you're 25.

1. Forget about always trying to be the good daughter who never rocks the boat, and turn vegan.

2. If a boy tells you that you are cute and he likes you, it is highly unlikely that he is only trying to make fun of you - so, relax, and enjoy your teenage years.

3. Of course you should go to the university, and it is worthwhile to fight for your right to get good education.

4. It's ok to respect your parents, but they are not always right.

5. Trust your instincts.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. (J. Krishnamurti)

1. DON'T drink so much, it is not necessary to spend every waking moment of your teenage years paralytic.
    2. DON'T send a note to your best friend during an English lesson telling her you are bored and want to join her for a cigarette at lunchtime.
    3. DON'T have your hair cut like Kim Wilde - keep it long. What looks good in the 80's will not look good during any other decade!

I think about this all the time, the what if's... the what if I would have done this or that... and as much pain as I would take away had I changed that path, I am scared I would have missed out on a few things that have made my life what it is.

If I had to change I would have told myself:
    1. Focus on your art and history- becoming an art history major and making my life as an artist.
    2. I would tell myself to tell everyone what my stepfather did to me.
    3. I would take the love I have from animals and take the steps to become a veggie head sooner.

And most of all I would tell myself to look for my hubby. He is my soul mate!

1. Finish college or you'll be an office slave the rest of your life
    2. Start saving your money NOW
    3. Do NOT apply for that credit card in a couple years
    4. Go vegan
    5. Quit being so shy

Given I'm 15 now, and 16 in August, I guess I can't give advice in retrospect... But I can still have a go at advice.

1. Don't fuck up school. The next two years are important.
    2. Good luck figuring out if you're actually gay or not.
    3. Socialise, stop being so shy! Messing up is preferable to boxing yourself up...
    4. I know you probably won't take this one, but try to recover from your eating disorder. Accept it's serious.

Now let's see if I actually follow these!

You're shy now, but in ten years time you wont be, and it will make all the difference (you can't hurry this up i'm afraid)

Stand by what you believe and become vegan! you are not alone, and you'll end up doing it eventually anyway. There is nothing wrong with upsetting people by doing this, worse things could happen (mainly to animals).

Kill yourself.

Glad you didn't, yoshi. Hope you're ok?

leedsveg

Quote yoshi8 View Post
    Kill yourself.
    Hi yoshi. I agree with harpy about being glad you didn't and I'm sure everyone one else on the forum agrees too.

I'm not wanting to pry but are you able to say why you feel this way?

Leedsveg

1. Don't care so much about 'fitting in' and impressing other people. Be your own person first!
    2. The things you do now DO effect your health in the not so distant future!
    3. Be frugal and learn to save money.
    4. Focus more on your education than the social aspects of high school
    5. Be homeschooled if possible!
    6. Go to college out of state
    7. Read about health and spirituality now!

Quote ShadowTears View Post
    Well I'm 16 right now so... Erm.... -Walks away awkwardly-
    Oh hey there 16 year old self.
    I still have nothing to say, I don't want to alter time.
    I'm still hanging in there, but there was totally two awesome moments for you.
    I'm gonna keep going.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

To my sixteen year old self...

its ok to break the rules sometimes.
    It's ok to be vulnerable, imperfect, and need others
    Work hard at what you love and do not let others discourage you. But dont make what you love to do your identity.
    laugh.
    Realize this too shall pass.

Don't have unprotected sex.
    Those guys you are dating? Idiots.