Thread: Chili Recipe

Default Chili Recipe

I'm feeling really American right now. Lol* Brought up on meat and potatoes, I needed a midwestern replacement for burgers that don't taste like mushed beans and sprouts with ketchup on top. I'm also not a fan of lots of ingredients that I can't pronounce, so here's my version of chili, since I don't see it here already.

I'm not sure what differences there might be in measurement for some of you, math is not my strongpoint, but I can tell you I basically use 1 package or can of each ingredient.

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 can red kidney beans (well rinsed)
    1 can (the small can, 8 oz.?) black beans (also well rinsed)
    1 can (8 oz. or 2-3 ears) corn
    1 pckg. mild vegan chili mix (There are many brands at the grociery store that are vegan though not advertised as such. Just double check the label.)

* I throw all of these in a crock pot on high for about 4 hours, and serve hot with a baked potato and a dairy free margarine spread. I miss the fat from hamburger being in my chili, so if you place a pat of margarine on top of your chili and let it melt, it really tastes great. Doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for your waste line, but it's still much healthier for you than traditional chili.

Default Re: Chili Recipe

Sounds very nice VQ

I think chilli is such a fab dish - great for 2 people for dinner or for 20 just by mutiplying up the ingredients - so simple!

Thank you Est - I posted too quickly, I see there is another chili recipe here. Oh well, it's my favorite!

Wow, I just checked my cabinet and was thrilled to see that I already have all of the necessary ingredients in the house already except for the powder.

I'm definitely having this for lunch today. Awesome!
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Well, I have followed through on my word, having just had a HUGE plate of chili for lunch. Along with the chili powder, I also picked up some spicy crushed peppers in vinegar at the store, which I added to the mix along with some sesame seeds for a nice crunchy texture. I'd definitely recommend both of these for anyone looking to change it up a little.

I ate so much I think I'm going to be sick. But man, it was good. And people in my life worry if I'm starving myself as a vegan!
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Metal Maniac

Thanxs vegan quilter..i made your recipe this afternoon and it is top knotch!

Thanxs a bunch!!!