Thread: Train fares!

happy

Default Train fares!

I usually do my university route,Salford-Bolton,sometimes Warrington for family.I was looking at going to the cathedrals,castles etc. plus elsewhere,I like to sight-see.I was looking at York(only went when very young),Salisbury and Canterbury etc.
    I have seen some welsh castles,also,Ludlow,Edinburgh on holiday(not that good) etc.They were always by car though,going with people.Salisbury return from Salford with a railcard is over £60.Is this reasonable given petrol expenses?Maybe because I'm a student I think everything is expensive,but generally the buses also seem a lot,£4 daysavers here.Vegan fayres could be good too around the country,I've heard of things in Bristol.What do people think?

Default Re: Train fares!

It might be possible to get it down to £25. The southern rail website says there are £12.50 singles available. £60 isn't that bad though, it's just over 200 miles according to google maps.

I just bought return tickets for 2 people going a similar distance (191 miles) for £58.

Look at how much it'll be for two singles instead of a return, it's often a lot cheaper.

It costs me around £60 to get an open return from Bath to Rochford (Essex where my parents live). When I went from Bath to Leeds return it was closer to £100 I think? I can't compare it to driving though because neither me or my boyfriend drive at all.

Don't let the price put you off though! Think of the great times you'll have, and you can always save money else where on accomodation etc.

Also try and be flexible with the time of travel. Off-peak is a lot cheaper. Going to London after 9 costs me as little as 9.50, whereas on days when I have to get an early train it's closer to 30.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

With some rail routes it can be much cheaper if you book as far in advance as you can - I think 12 weeks ahead is when the cheap tickets become available for some routes but it varies according to the rail company. You can sometimes get things like £9 fares from London to Edinburgh that way.

So it may pay to do some advance planning if poss.

...And this Salisbury vegan says - save your money and go to Bristol, Bath or Brighton!

Really, RR? I thought Salisbury was jolly interesting, but perhaps it's different if you live there

Sometimes the fares are cheaper if you break the journey up. For example if I was going from London to Edinburgh, if I bought tickets from London to Manchester and then from Manchester to Edinburgh (still staying on the same train), it is sometimes cheaper than just booking a straight through ticket. (Isn't always the case but worth looking into.)
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    Sometimes the fares are cheaper if you break the journey up.
    Good point, Spud Addict. There is a bit more about this idea on http://www.seat61.com/UKtravel.htm#Cheap fares - I've found this quite a useful site generally for rail travel tips.