Thread: Stuck on fish

pavotrouge

Default Stuck on fish

When I went vegan three years ago (after years of never eating meat and egg and rarely dairy and fish), I thought I was going to crave the occasional yoghurt or morsel of fish.

Luckily, I never did. A couple of times I thought that I'd like to taste something fishy, seaweed or fake fish did the job.

For the past two weeks now, I have been craving fish. Constantly.
    Hell, I have even been dreaming of fish! I walked past the Rhine yesterday and seriously considered fishing and preparing the bounty myself. I spent half an hour at the supermarket, checking out all the fish products.
    I'm downright obsessed and don't understand what's going on.

I supplement B vitamins, iodine, calcium and some other things that are in fish and make sure I get enough protein.
    I haven't looked into the Omega 3 issue deeply yet (going to read the thread now).
    What else could my body be lacking so it commands me to eat a creature of the sea?

Has anybody experience anything like this or can help me otherwise?

BlackCats

Default Re: Insane Fish Cravings

I haven't had cravings for fish I don't think. When I have been ill and run down afterwards I get really strong cravings for meat, things like liver especially and especially burnt meat.

What about taking some iron tablets?

Have you tried that braised tofu stuff in a tin? That tasted like tuna to me, it made me feel sick in fact.

pavotrouge

I've never seen braised tofu in a tin here, but have tried fake fish and seaweed everything already and it only makes the cravings worse.

I got my iron levels checked about 6 weeks ago and they were fine.

cobweb

I don't reckon there's much iron in fish anyway - probably is your fatty acids .

Luckily i never liked eating fishes bodies anyway, but i have to admit that once or twice i have given serious consideration to taking some non vegan sources of fatty acids or glucosamine because i am feeling a little panicky about my Arthritic hip .

Hope you work it out Pavot. I craved meat when i was pregnant even though my iron levels were high (they are obssessed with checking them when you're pregnant!). I tried a bite of someone's burger one day (i was veggie at the time) and felt absolutely sick for the next 24 hours, so i wouldn't recommend it .

maybe itīs just the salty aspect you miss?

i donīt know whether this page would be of help as it contains omnivorous proucts:
    http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

concering the omega 3īs I wrote something on my blog some time ago:
    http://vegananke.blogspot.com/2008/0...tty-acids.html

i hope you can overcome these cravings....
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

A month or two after becoming vegan I craved sardines, even though save for cheese I hadn't really wanted to eat any other non-vegan thing. That was fairly much, so I munched on some nori wrapped rice crackers for awhile. It still didn't quite go away. I figured it was psychological since I used to eat them on crackers when I was little and had walked by in the store, but I bought some flax and pumpkin seed cereal anyway and made sure to chew each one thoroughly since I couldn't grind them up. I pretty much forgot about it, but besides food sources of omega 3 there are also supplements that include DHA and EPA or something; there's a thread about it here somewhere.

I have since then occasionally thought that the tuna sandwich someone was eating smelled like I wanted to eat it, but then I thought about what it was - a mashed up dead fish in mayo - and I didn't feel like it anymore. I've read recipes for mashed up chickpeas and seaweed and stuff that is supposed to mimic a tuna salad sandwich. It wouldn't be exact, but the longer someone's been away from the real thing I'm sure the more it tastes similar.

Hey, that's clever! To put nori in the chickpeas when you do a fake tuna sandwich!
    Pavo, I know exactly what you mean. For the past few weeks I have been craving a tuna sandwich like no other-and not just that. ANY sort of nasty crap omni food like weinerschnitzel, hamburger helper, stuff like that.

I hope we're not pregnant.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

pavotrouge

well, I can be pretty sure I'm not pregnant

thanks for the advice!
    I've tried fake fish and nori and it hasn't helped at all (though the mock tuna sandwhich with hijiki and chickpeas from VWAW is good).

I think it's an Omega 3/6 issue so I'll try to get more of these.

I can't really remember last time I ate fish but it must have been before my 16th birthday. I just know that when I had to look after 3 adorable little goldfish, who came up to the surface of the water when they heard my voice that I could never eat fish again.
    Try to look on fish, not as something you once liked to eat, but as a living beings with their own right to life. Hope your cravings go away soon Pavotrouge!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

pavotrouge

thx sandra I'm babysitting on Monday night, I might put on Finding Nemo

Yes, that's a great idea!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Slightly off-topic, does anybody know where one could procure vegan fish stock? I have friend that gets it.

Default fish craving, does this mean anything?

I have this insane craving for fish. It's been months now. And it's not like "oh I miss fish" or anything, it's like my mouth waters when someone says the word. I feel disgusting.

But here's the thing, I've never even tried fish (knowingly at least). I never ate it when I was an omni.

I've looked at another thread about fish cravings, but I didn't get much out of it (except an idea to watch Finding Nemo which I am seriously considering now ). There is absolutely no way I'm pregnant. I've been taking omega 3's for months (in the form of flaxseed oil). I also take a multi-vitamin and alfalfa tabs if that's at all relevant. The craving started before I began taking supplements. The omega 3's gave me peace of mind for a little while, but they didn't make the craving subside.

Normally I would just dismiss a non-vegan craving, but it's been like this for months. It's a really strong craving. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not even remotely considering buying fish, but this is really bothering me. The red flag for me was when I was buying cat food (not vegan food, please keep your comments regarding this to yourself, thanks) and became jealous of my cats because they get "oceanfish". I know, sick.

Does this mean anything? Like I mean, do you think it means I'm lacking in some sort of nutrient? I just want it to go away

Thanks
    baby v

Default Re: fish craving, does this mean anything?

Since you've never eaten fish, I don't see how your body could possibly crave a nutrient from something it's never experienced. Your body doesn't "know" that fish contain omega 3's so even if you were lacking in that (though that doesn't sound to be the case since you're taking flaxseed oil) your body wouldn't crave fish since it doesn't "know" them to contain omega 3's...seems like you'd crave some other form of omega 3's that your body has experienced.

Does the smell of fish appeal to you? Maybe you just think it smells nice and thus would taste good. You could try adding seaweed to stuff and see if that helps. I don't know how similar seaweed is to fish in flavour since I've never eaten fish either, but my veggie dad won't eat anything with seaweed in because he says it reminds him too much of the flavour of fish...

The way I see it, my brain knows that fish have omega 3's even though I've never tasted it. Maybe you can't crave something you have never eaten, but that wouldn't explain this.

The only fish I've smelled in years is tuna and that does not appeal to me at all, though I'm not craving tuna (I know this is all sounding ridiculous). I have seaweed on my shopping list, but I have to wait until the first of the month.

Thanks mariana. I'm hoping the seaweed will help.

Quote baby_vicuņa View Post
    The way I see it, my brain knows that fish have omega 3's even though I've never tasted it. Maybe you can't crave something you have never eaten, but that wouldn't explain this.

The only fish I've smelled in years is tuna and that does not appeal to me at all, though I'm not craving tuna (I know this is all sounding ridiculous). I have seaweed on my shopping list, but I have to wait until the first of the month.

Thanks mariana. I'm hoping the seaweed will help.
    Are you really worried about omega 3's? I could see how it might possibly make you crave fish if you're concerned about omega 3's and don't think you're getting enough, but you mentioned you're taking flaxseed oil, so didn't think that was the case...
    Hope the seaweed helps. The whole thing sounds strange. Hopefully you can resolve it soon.

No I'm not concerned about omega 3's. I was just using that as an example.

RubyDuby

I think the seawed it a good idea. Making veggie sushi is really easy. The mats are like $3.

Also, my bf has bought vegan lobster, tuna and prawn from here. I think they have "fish" too. He's says they're like the real thing... (the vegan bacon there is really yummy, although I don't think it really tastes like bacon. It's kind of sweet and gooood.)
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I take Water4Life omega 3 oil pellets. They are made out of Algae and have long chain omega 3 oils (exactly the same as the ones you find in fish... because, surprise surprise, fish only have long chain omega 3s because they consume these algae...)...

I dont like eating the capsule so I break them and eat the oil. The oil tastes exactly like mackerel (i.e. not very pleasant but I do it anyway!). You can buy something like 90 pellets for Ģ30. Then you can tell us if you were craving fish, omega 3s or just being random

Here is a link: http://www.v-pure.com/

And for the record, they are manufactured in the US so you should hopefully be able to find them there too?

I have had vegan fish substitute. It was pretty good too. If you have a strong craving, buy it online, and cook it up yourself. Here is a place that sells them online: http://www.vegecyber.com/cgi-bin/veg...i?&type=Frozen

I just looked through that site. OMG. I am buying some right now.

Oh, the second option is to go to a good vegan chinese restaurant, and get some mock fish off their menu. They use seaweed, and it tastes just like dead fish! Well, much better due to the clean conscience. And I am sure it is full of Omega-3. Fish get it from seaweed, afterall.
    context is everything

Hi Baby V,
    Meat eaters who spend time in other countries sometimes have cravings for animal products they regularly was eating in they home country, if the same nutrients are available where they are. Cravings can of course suggest that you need a nutrient that you think can be found in whatever you are missing, but it can also be psychological.

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if eg. someone who at some point wanted to, but wasn't allowed to eat fish would feel a desire for eating fish.

Have you seen our Vegan DHA/EPA-thread?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Baby V, check the What did you eat today thread (sorry I don't know how to make it a link). There is a pic and recipe from Pob for making beer battered aubergine fillets that mimic fish. I am making them later this week.

Oh, and I want to mirror what Korn said. I crave all sorts of stuff from growing up in Chile that is not available here in the US. The tastes are mostly nostalgic and the cravings are psychological. I know I do not need fried sugary squash flour pastries tied up in knots (even though they are vegan). But I crave them all the time. Nothing nutritional. Just nostalgia. They are not available here in the US.
    context is everything

pavotrouge

I had this a year ago - although I used to eat fish- omega 3 (walnut and linseed oil) and seaweed, combined with a general increase of protein to my diet did the trick.

there's good mock fish available in shops, too- though I think the Asian grocery variety is better than the health food shop brands for that.

Prawnil

Personally, I'd expect it means nothing at all. If you've never even eaten fish it's probably not worth being concerned that it has some nutritional significance. Even if you had...

Rocket Queen

It means you're a lesbian.
    I suspect it's a long buried memory, or that your tastebuds simply happen to awaken at the scent of it
    If I was you I would buy some substitute products definitely, or make some Probably nothing to worry about
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Thank you so much everyone. I feels much better now. I just wanted to make sure I'm not lacking anything, I tend to get pretty concerned about my diet since I have a lot of restrictions.

I'll take a look at mock fish. I'm planning on taking a visit to one of the local Asian markets as the health food stores are pretty limited when it comes to seaweed and such.

@ Korn and xrodolfox, I think you guys are right. It's probably just in my head.

@ Manzana, earlier today I did run by one of the health food stores and picked up an algae DHA supplement (thanks for the link Korn) as I am lacking that in my diet. Thanks for the link you supplied. I found a good brand at the store that's similar to the one you linked.

Quote Prawnil View Post
    Personally, I'd expect it means nothing at all. If you've never even eaten fish it's probably not worth being concerned that it has some nutritional significance. Even if you had...
    I think you're right. I tend to over-think everything

Quote Festered View Post
    It means you're a lesbian.
    Woo hoo go lesbians!

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I had this a year ago - although I used to eat fish- omega 3 (walnut and linseed oil) and seaweed, combined with a general increase of protein to my diet did the trick.
    I saw your thread on this. I'll try that thanks.

Quote veganwitch View Post
    Baby V, check the What did you eat today thread (sorry I don't know how to make it a link). There is a pic and recipe from Pob for making beer battered aubergine fillets that mimic fish. I am making them later this week.
    Thanks I'll definitely take a look at that.

Thanks again everyone! I seriously love you all

pavotrouge

so lesbian sex relieves fish cravings? oh dear, that might change my whole perspective...

@ Korn and xrodolfox, I think you guys are right. It's probably just in my head.
    Just to clarify... (sorry for the confusion! ) I wasn't really saying that it's only in your head - I wouldn't know. But it's of course possible.

If it's true that only 1% of all meat eaters have no nutrient deficiencies, I'm sure the number of vegans without any deficiencies can't be ideal either. The main nutrient that many vegans (and actually a large number of non-vegans) are deficient in is B12, for reasons discussed in many threads. If you think you *may* miss something and don't take B12, you could either take a blood test (B12/MMA/homocysteine) or just take B12 for a while and see if that changes anything.

One thing I know, is that humans don't need the *taste* of fish, but we may need some nutrients - whatever diet we are on - that fish eaters get from eating fish. So if I were you, I'd check out B12 before I go hunting for fake fish products....

(And - you should check out the DHA/EPA thread if you haven't!)

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    so lesbian sex relieves fish cravings? oh dear, that might change my whole perspective...

^

Thanks Korn. I forgot to mention it but I do take a B12 supplement

So funny, I've been craving a tuna sandwich like mad for the past month or so. Lucky you, you've never had it. Every time I think I want one, I remember what someone said here a while back about a tuna sandwich-they said it was a "mashed up dead fish in mayonnaise" and that just turns me right off. Good luck.

you may also want to remember that tuna is an endangered species...

pavotrouge

the fake tuna recipe from VWAV does the trick for me - essentially mashed chickpeas with hijiki and vegan mayo.

RachelSkates

Default Stuck on fish

Hi-

The bulk of my diet is now brown rice and lentils, mixed together. It is basically all I eat other than veggies. My one weakness is fish.

So, has anyone else a craving for fish and how did you kick it?

I would like to go vegan and feel good. Thanks for having this site!!

JC

Default Re: Stuck on Fish-

Hi Rachel,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll soon discover that there's much more to veganism than lentils and brown rice! Unless you really love it that much...
    As for the fish, i have a few suggestions. Firstly, there's a sea vegetable known as dulse which you can get in health food shops which you can add to your food to give it a 'fishy' flavour. You can also make vegan sushi with it if you like, substituting the raw fish for dulse-flavoured tofu? Then there's the ready-packed fish alternatives also found in health stores. I know here in the UK we have all sorts of fish alternatives - fish fingers, scampi etc, which are too realistic for me but some vegans like them. I'm sure the choice in the US would be just as good if not better! Finally, you can create your own fish-style meals. One in particular comes to mind 'chickpea' casserole which is supposed to be like like tuna casserole. Search the internet for recipes and you'll find loads!
    Hope this helps.

All of those thing sound delish.

Maybe go to the fish counter of your local supermarket? Seeing all the fish laid out on the ice makes me terribly sad.

Hi Rachel, what are the main reasons for you going Vegan in first place? That might help narrow down some suggestions.

(e.g. health reasons, animal welfare reasons, environmental reasons, other etc).

@RachelSkates

You should definitely look into getting some vegan cookbooks. Eating only lentils and rice is not going to work long term. You need a variety of interesting foods to keep yourself from thinking you are missing out on something. I think that is one of the biggest reasons so many people have a hard time transitioning toward a plant based diet. Even just using different herbs and spices can make lentils and rice something more exciting, but variety is very important and even more so when you take long term health into account.

I have known several people that "tried being vegan but just couldn't do it." They "could never find anything to eat" because "it's so restrictive." Now they eat almost the exact same things all the time, but it's made from animals or dairy or eggs. Seems strange to me, I'm somehow restricted in what I eat but they always have the same things.

Anyway, cravings go away. But, there are vegan fish substitutes available that you could try. Still, I think the most important thing is to start eating more satisfying flavorful meals. If you are fully satisfied by what you are eating, you will not want for something else.
    Veganism is the application of the abolitionist principle to the life of the individual. It is not an option; it is essential. — Gary Francione

Cornish

Default Re: Stuck on Fish

You could try doing some marine conservation work and learn about the effects that commercial fishing has on the environment, even my omni fiance will not touch fish after getting into marine conservation and learning about the destruction that those trawler and longlines cause.

As Fiamma says if you do not usually see the fish whole try walking past the deli or you could watch someone fish, or try doing itself if you not ever done it before, sometimes people see things differently after taking life with their own hands. Of course you might be one of those people who are alright with taking life, I however would not be able to; seeing the little creatures struggle for life.

But it really does depend on why you want to be a vegan, if it is for health reasons you could look into ocean pollution and the levels of mercury contain in fishy cells.

However I believe that the best thing for you to do would be to take a look at the meals you are currently eating and make sure you have enough variety to make sure you do not feel like you are missng out on something.

Default Re: Stuck on Fish

'Lo Rachel

I was vegetarian before vegan. When I gave up meat it took me a year to give up fish.

McDonalds 'fillet of fish' was my weakness and I used to love them. One day I was eating one and realised that it tasted like .. well .... shit.

Don't know if it holds true for everyone but personaly I found that as my system 'cleaned up' the cravings for 'dirty' food soon enough went away.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: Stuck on fish

When I first became vegan I found myself craving meat and fish. Rather than eating meat though I thought of what my body may be telling me I'm deficient in something. Fish are a source of omega 3s, protein and B12 so maybe that is what your body is craving, and since it has been your recent source it makes you want to eat fish. I hope this helps you, it is still useful for me and eventually I stopped craving meat altogether. In fact, when I'm low on protein now I crave Beans and Quinoa, when I need iron I crave beets, things like that. You can get omegas from flax seeds and hemp seeds as well as olive oil. Again I hope it helps, this is just my opinion
    If to live we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain