Thread: Vegan Mayonnaise

Smile Vegan Mayonnaise

this is based on a recipe in my Vegan Organic cookbook for tofu pate, but it turned out more like egg mayonnaise so i thought i'd post it as i couldn't find any recipes for it here already.

280g packet tofu, drained
    1 to 2 teaspoons mustard
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
    1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise

Place all of the above in a dish and mash thoroughly with the back of a fork.

it makes enough for about two rounds of sandwiches, it's quite rich though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Unhappy Help me salvage my "vegan mayonnaise"!

Tonight my husband and I had a fiasco. I'm still feeling depressed and disappointed. I felt so vulnerable and I try not to live with regret, but I wanted to try to make a vegan mayonnaise like the delicious U.S. "Vegenaise". I feel so foolish and stupid for trying to duplicate it, but I'm trying to not be upset myself. I found some recipes to make vegan mayonnaise and I used 1 and ick gross, it's terrible! I felt so excited and we were both looking forward to enjoying it, but instead we have a creamy mixture that doesn't taste good. I want it to taste mayonnaisy, not sweet and tangy. I'll type the recipe here with the hope that someone can offer a suggestion. We want to salvage it. We don't want to waste it. We increased the amount of each ingredient. Please help and tell me what it's missing. Thank you.

3 T Canola Cooking Oil
    1 Block Silken Tofu
    1 T Brown Rice Syrup
    3/4 tsp. Sea Salt
    2 1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 1/2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
    1/2 tsp. Mustard
    From My Healthy Kitchen To Yours
    www.tastyvegankitchen.com

trey

Default Re: Help me salvage my "vegan mayonnaise"!

well i imagine you want the tangy, and you most likely will not be able to get rid of the tangy, since there is over 2 oz of acid in the mixture. I hate to offer a suggestion, cause if it doesn't work i'll feel bad . But, if it were I, I would (if you don't care about color) add a bit of soy sauce/nama shoyu/other salty liquid (although be careful if your not a salt person, i personally am addicted). I'm thinking about anything else, but in the future I would leave the brown rice syrup out as I think its only a sweetener.

I'll keep thinking and post again if i come up with another suggestion

I don't think I could live a life with out veganaise, i would be incomplete...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Thank you Trey. Please don't worry or feel bad. After feeling terrible for a while, I realized it wasn't my fault at all. The recipe sucks. I felt very disappointed. Your idea for soy sauce is interesting. I may even try a little Bragg Liquid Aminos. Please let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks.

Default I Desperately Need A Good Vegan Mayonnaise Recipe, Please Help!

My husband and I have been enjoying using Vegenaise for many years and we still do, but we're painfully financially strained and we can't afford to buy it any more. We love it and we wish we could continue using it! I have been searching on the Internet for a really good recipe for a vegenaise-like mayonnaise, but it's very frustrating and I still haven't found anything. Can someone please help me and recommend a good recipe to me? I'd really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I can't afford to experiment and risk wasting and discarding ingredients, so, I'd greatly appreciate the recipe being as accurate as possible. I don't know if any recipes call for nuts, but unfortunately, the only health food store in this region sells cashews that are very expensive and the organic cashews are way out of price range! It would be easier if the recipe didn't call for nuts. I appreciate all the help I can get! Thank you.
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: I Desperately Need A Good Vegan Mayonnaise Recipe, Please Help!

There's a good recipe in Rose Elliott's "Vegan Feasts" cookbook. Unfortunately I don't have the book with me right now, but I should be able to get it in a few days. I could PM you the recipe then.

Thank you! That would be great! Please PM me with the recipe when you have it. I appreciate the help very much! Thank you!

I was on Veggie Vision the other day and found a good clip about how to make a good vegan mayo.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

*live*&*let*live

^Thanks Kate that looks wickedly easy!^ will have a go at that when I run out of my current jar

Default A successful good vegan mayonnaise recipe that tastes as good as vegenaise?

Has anyone successfully made a good vegan mayonnaise that tastes as good as Vegenaise? <3 My dear husband and I really love the taste of Vegenaise and we'd like to start making our own because we'd like to save some money. We like it because it has a nice tasty balance of salty and sweet because I'm not able to eat sweets because I have an aversion to sweets. We'd really appreciate some help. Thank you!

Default Re: A successful good vegan mayonnaise recipe that tastes as good as vegenaise?

Good luck in your search veganpixie! I gave up trying after I found vegenaise!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

For anyone interested, The Guardian have published Rose Elliott's Vegan mayonnaise recipe and it's available here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...tures.weekend7
    when everything changes...change everything

Has anyone ever seen a recipe for vegan Miracle Whip? It's sweeter than mayonnaise and I prefer it. I'm afraid I don't care for the taste of mayonnaise, even vegan ones but I'd love to find a recipe for a vegan Miracle Whip!

Quote sixesmum View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a recipe for vegan Miracle Whip? It's sweeter than mayonnaise and I prefer it. I'm afraid I don't care for the taste of mayonnaise, even vegan ones but I'd love to find a recipe for a vegan Miracle Whip!
    http://www.theppk.com/2011/04/rad-whip/ I haven't tried it myself but it looks like it's close to what you're looking for.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Vegan Mayonnaise

I put some black salt in mine which gives a little eggy taste .

I used to love mayonaise pre-vegan but have never found a vegan mayonaise I love. Shop-bought vegan mayo is okay, it does the job if necessary but is not something I love on a sandwich. My favourite is Plamil garlic as it doesn't have the same aftertaste as the plain one. I would love to make my own, but have never found a good recipe despite having tried quite a few. Most of them have mustard which I'm not fond of. I have tried the PPK grapeseed mayo (with olive oil as grapeseed oil is expensive) and that it was better than the tofu+mustard recipe but still not great. Has potential though. Anyone have a great, secret vegan mayonaise recipe that they would like to share?
    Houmous atá ann!