Thread: Mrs Marengo's and vegan cakes

Default Mrs Marengo's and vegan cakes

Is anyone else disappointed that Mrs Marengo's in Soho doesn't offer more vegan cake options?

Default Re: Mrs Marengo's and vegan cakes

I wish they did more, but the two options which they do have are delish!

i had the raspberry chocolate torte once and, whilst delicious, was overpriced and (I discovered towards the end) contained mouldy raspberries.

I bought some to take home once and forgot to put in in the fridge - the raspberries were mouldy the next day and I had to throw it out. It's the same torte they have at Mildreds. It's a shame they don't offer more vegan cakes.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

"The reason we offer more savoury options, as I'm sure you already know, is that hot food is much more easily adapted, just add the cream or cheese at the end, with cakes these are the intergal parts of the baking process, and need to be done at the beginning."

This was the response I got to an email I sent to Mrs Marengo's asking why they didn't offer more vegan options. I sent an email back disputing the necessity of using animal products. The truth is they could make most of the cakes vegan and no-one except vegans would notice. It's a vegetarian cafe after all. I don't imagine lacto-ovo vegetarians bother reading those labels very closely. It's almost as if she's saying that only vegans eat vegan desserts! I know that's not true because people rave about my cakes and cupcakes and no-one is any the wiser until I tell them.

It's so easy to find vegan desserts in New York but so difficult here. I swear London is about 10 to 15 years behind New York re veganism. They have a vegan ice cream shop! Such a thing is unthinkable here.

indeed, they have a couple!

and quite a few vegan bakeries, burger bars etc. London is great, but New York may as well be the future for how progressive it is.

What is great about New York is also that it has so many vegetarian restaurants which are almost exclusively vegan except for maybe a couple of items. The word vegetarian is used to mean vegan in a lot of those restaurants. There's a vegetarian sandwich shop in the West Village where all the cupcakes are vegan. And they are delicious. There is no good reason why Mrs Marengo's can't do the same.

I think we should complain more about the lack of vegan dessert options especially in vegetarian restaurants. They lose out on my business because I may not want the one or two items they offer and other people must choose not to get desserts for the same reason.

However I have to praise the tiramisu and the brownie at Zilli Green. They were both delicious. And prove that desserts do not have to be contaminated with animal products to taste good!