Thread: what can i cook in the microwave or anything else other than sandwiches?

Default what can i cook in the microwave or anything else other than sandwiches?

hi everyone
    im having my house renevated and have not had a cooker or microwave for nearly 4 months ive been living on sandwiches,toast,cereals ect.I now have the use of my microwave but am not much of a 'microwave' cook so was wondering if anyone has any suggestion please of what i can cook in the microwave or anything else other than sandwiches thankyou from your fellow desperate vegan friend
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Default Re: what can i cook in the microwave or anything else other than sandwiches?

I know how that feels. I remember eating a lot of couscous! Baked potatoes? Not as good as crispy oven-ed ones, but ok for a change. I know it's not what you asked, but you can get SOME nice ready-meals and soups and things. You can make chocolate biscuit cake in the microwave too

Default Re: what can i cook in the microwave or anything else other than sandwiches?

chocolate biscuit cake in the microwave?? please tell me how thanx Cherry
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

You might want to have a look at this too genisis

http://notecook.com/main-course/vege...vegan-cooking/

I'm afraid I can't really help myself as I only ever use the microwave for defrosting things, and occasionally reheating frozen meals that I've bought or made earlier. Baked spuds is a good idea; if you have them with some nice hummus you probably won't notice that they aren't crisp

You just melt the chocolate and marg and syrup in the microwave, and then pour in the biscuit crumbs and chill

recipe

I've also got no proper oven while the house is being renovated (but unlike you - we've been at a standstill now for nearly THREE YEARS due to negative equity). So I use the micro a lot, and also a plug-in mini oven that I bought at Argos for £30 or so. I also have a plug-in rice cooker, which I use all the time, a plug-in three tier veg steamer, and a crock-pot slow cooker, but don't use that very often as I'm not organised enough.

Also, I cook regular cakes in the microwave too - they can be a bit rubbery if overdone, but they work just fine. And you can nuke them in little teacups too which look really sweet.

- we've been at a standstill now for nearly THREE YEARS due to negative equity).

how have you coped! you are incredible

If you have use of a toaster I was recently told some thin burgers (like Frys) and schnitzels can be toasted.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I made a recipe for microwave cakes too :

I use a mini pyrex bowl with a lid, but a bowl and plate work fine... and the lid isn't necessary either .... maybe best to put a plate under the bowl instead.

Four table spoons of soya flour.
    Half teaspoons and pinches of ginger powder, fivespice, and other crushed lovage.
    Bicarb of soda = about half a level teaspoon; Too much can taste nonpleasant... you don't need any at all really, but the bubbles help make the finished product seem lighter.

Water=150ml...half a cup to start, then tablespoons.
    Desert spoon of blackest molasses treacle [maybe a desert blob].

Mix the powders together...maybe cocoa powder aswell...carob is underated.

If you are mixing in a breakfast bowl [or a teacup.... if you are a tiny fairy], then better add the powder to the liquid....put the molasses with the water.

If the consistency is conducive, then I will clean my spoons in such a way that the mixture forms a torus [doughnut] shape... to minimise sloppy middles.

Microwave at 500 watts for 5 minutes.
    Check for overflow.
    Irradiate for another 5 minutes.
    Check sponge.
    Wobble molecules for a further 2 to 5 minutes....depending on beliefs regarding trypsinogen inhibitors... or how you like it.

The beauty of soya flour for baking is the 20 percent fat which is already thoroughly distributed. The protein is useful too.

If it tastes dry, but isn't... you probably want more fat and sugar. I suggest taking a pleasant beverage with it instead.

If you don't use sodium bicarb, then you might want a bit of salt.
    I mean baking powder NaHCO3... not washing powder, of course.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Ooh, that's interesting - I have a jar of soya flour that I never use. I didn't think of caking with it - does it end up tasting beany though?

RubyDuby

you can make soups in the microwave... and frozen veg.

when I'm not here my boyfriend will cook a whole spaghetti squash (cut in half of course) in the microwave. I hate that he does it, but it turns out fine. Could prob do the same with any squash, but spag squash covered in tomato sauce (which can also just be purchased and heated in the micro) is yummy.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Ooh, that's interesting - I have a jar of soya flour that I never use. I didn't think of caking with it - does it end up tasting beany though?
    Depends on the spices, and how much cocoa etc., but yes, a bit beany.

Adding a bigspoon of millet flour makes a fantastic difference to the texture [much easier to eat], yet leaves the cake gluten free.

Ruby Du : I never thought of microwaving squash. I have watched the last two [my aunt sent to pa] sink into the kitchen shelf... and they keep for a looong time .
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

We had no cooking facilities for a year while our kitchen was being gutted and only one cold tap in the house.
    I don't like microwaves so we got ourselves a two ring camping gas stove cheap and it was great. I could easily have carried on cooking on it for the rest of my life - don't have to now as we've got a new kitchen!
    Silent but deadly :p