Thread: menopause

Default menopause

I was wondering about vegan women's experiences of the menopause. Reading about it can be very off-putting, with all the reported unpleasant symptoms, but I seem to be passing through with no discernible negative effects. In fact I feel generally more empowered and positive.

Maybe this is because of the phytoestrogens naturally present in soya based foods? I don't know, but I'd love to read about other people's experiences.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Default Re: menopause

I haven't had any symptoms, positive or negative, but I'm only 53 so I'm not going to count my cheatin' chickens!

Actually I did have what I thought were a couple of hot flushes a year or so ago, but they were when I was having a dispute with a dodgy lawyer and stopped when that was settled, so I think they were actually rages

I'm 48, I feel like crap and I'm a nightmare to live with. I have sleepless nights, anxiety attacks and feel like I'm in a sauna. I am eating soya like there is no tomorrow but I guess I'm just unlucky.
    Rages? I have to live the house and go for a 5 mile walk to calm down. When will it ever end
    Silent but deadly :p

Oh dear, poor Hemlock I seem to remember reading that these things are genetically determined to some extent? (Mind you, what isn't?)

I think there's a pretty strong genetic component. My grandmother never naturally went through it, and was medically "forced" into menopause. Then, got cancer, so didn't have a normal menopause, anyway... My mom is 53 and hasn't had anything but hot flashes, so she's unsure if she's gone through it or not? Though, she's not vegan and doesn't eat soy. I hope I do go through it naturally though, I'd hate to be on HRT...
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I hope you get past your problems soon, Hemlock, it sounds really horrible. I'm sure you'll feel a lot better eventually. Maybe I've just been lucky genetically and it's nothing to do with diet, then? I was kind of hoping veganism=easy menopause because that would be a big incentive for 'women of a certain age' to turn vegan.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Well, they say that thing about Japanese women not reporting as many menopausal symptoms and also eating a lot of soy don't they, but I'm not any studies have established a causal link (yet).

It is very difficult to sort out cause and effect in these things, especially with a very small sample. My mother was a bit barmy when she was my age and I sort of assumed it was the menopause and I would be the same, but in retrospect she was quite unhappy with her lot at that point, so it might not have been anything to do with hormones

To be honest I think a lot of my symptoms have been to do with stress. I have been off work for a while with it and am beginning to feel better now.

Yeah, it's probably often a combination of biological and environmental things that conspire to make one feel lousy, is my guess. If one happens to be around that age it all gets bundled together and labelled "menopause".

Glad you are feeling a bit better now, Hemlock.

Thanks Harpy. I think you are spot on there.

Not a thing except mood swings and I get them anyway.

Nothing, no sweats, hot flushes

definately no decreased sexual appetite or er, dryness (am most embarrassed now but just being honest )

Have had no periods for over two years and I feel exactly the same as before,

Yay for being a vegan!!!!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

This seems to be an old thread, but hoping to get some feedback. I am 50 and have been a vegan for well over half my life. I had a hysterectomy just before my 40th birthday. My doctor said that it was likely that I wold experience menopausal symptons within 2 5 years. Well this started juts prior to the 5 year point. So since then I've had hot flushes both night and day, and weight gain and tiredness due to broken sleep and the general tiring experience of having flushes. Mood is fine thank fully

I am trying to ride it out, but have tried various herbal things, but with no significant change. It'd be great to have just a day without flushes and the constant on-off of layers and finding ways to cool off. It actually stops you doing things, going places because of the discomfort. I've always been someone who like to be wrapped up, never sweated, and in between flushes I get cold. GRRR! Any ideas, or similar experiences anyone ....please ???

Sorry to hear that Zuma - it sounds horrid. Just really wanted to send sympathy as I don't know what would help although I have seen suggestions that including more soy beans and things made of them in your diet might - also more omega 3 oils - I imagine you've tried things like that though? (ETA sorry, I see I'm repeating stuff I already said a few years back...)

I guess I have got off lightly with the menopause as I haven't had any hot flushes etc but I shouldn't tempt fate :-o Hope you find something that helps.

I've been taking a supplement called DIM that helps.

Thankyou to deniselynn and harpy I will have a search for the DIM supplement. Came across another old thread about a vegan menopause book, so will have a hunt for that too.

Zuma

Well, I am 61.....I have been a vegetarian for years and went Vegan about 8 months ago.....I have had hot flashes for 12 years...yep, 12 years...but even in the heart of Texas, I will admit that I'm just not that bothered by them anymore. However, I will admit that I don't have the soaking the bed at time type either. I have them during the day and while there are times when sitting in front of a fan (even with the a/c on) with a glass of iced tea is my idea of heaven, I manage to do okay. I don't seem to have any other symptoms. I can't say that soy has made any difference for me or any of the other natural products out there, but I am always on the look out and open to any natural vegan thing anyone recommends! I will also add that FOR ME a lot of it has been attitude....my best friend went through it at 38 and had ONE hot flash...another friend who is 65 went through it with NO hot flashes...they are both carnivores! lol BUT, I will never change my diet...I love being vegan and really feel better over all!

I had a total hysterectomy and removal of both ovaries at the age of 33 in 2005 (for endometriosis...I was an omnivore then). It was like slamming into a brick wall at 90 mph. I had been in the prime of my life and suddenly I was in surgical menopause and it hit me very very hard. I had soaking drenching nightsweats, constant hot flashes, mood swings, migraines, joint pain (was actually misdiagoned with fibromyalgia), hair loss, yeast infections, body shape changes, and the list goes on and on. It also accelerated my bone loss and in 2006 I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis via dxa scan. I was 34 years old. In fact it was so traumatic for me that it triggered a battle with anorexia nervosa that I still fight with. It took my three years to find something that made me feel human again. I could not live without some kind of hormone therapy. I tried and I was such a mental basket case with mood swings and uncontrollable crying even at work and exhaustion I could not function. In fact I had to step down to part time for the first time in many years. I worked with a naturopathic doctor and tried all kinds of natural dietary herbs/foods etc and also compounded bioidentical hormones but all of it made me sicker. My body is very very sensitive to hormones, supplements, even simple vitamins. I also have hypothyroidism by the way and it makes it doubly hard to find hormone balance. Finally after trying troches, pills, creams, drops, vaginal rings, you name it, I was able to tolerate the Vivelle Dot patch which is pure estradiol hrt. I finally feel human again. I have been with it since 2007 and I got my life back (except for the anorexia which is much harder to overcome). I will never be the same as I was pre surgical menopause but at least I can function and can enjoy being physically active again, although my osteoporosis has caused some injuries I am dealing with. I don't know if the Vivelle Dot is vegan, more than likely not since it has a glue in the patch, but it has given me my life back and helped controll all the symptoms I was having and I will cry the day they stop making it. I have literally tried EVERYTHING else, even natural progesterone cream, DIM, DHEA, you name it. I am not crazy about taking a synthetic hormone, even if it is bioidentical (estrogen structure same as what the ovaries make), but I can not function without it. I had crippling joint pain and bone loss and other problems I can not go back to. So it is a compromise I have to make. I have been vegan for two years and I have felt better in other ways, but as far as hormones I am not sure that it has made a huge difference, although cutting out dairy did a world of good because I was lactose intolerant before and though I consumed yogurt it bloated me up and dairy interfered with my thyroid. I have to really watch soy though with my thyroid and hrt. Those are the only two meds I am on. The hotflashes were just the tip of the iceberg for me. The one thing I still struggle with despite my hormone patch is insomnia. I have not had a good night of sleep since my hysterectomy. I am up at 4:30am every morning, even on Sundays. I fall asleep right away but I can't stay asleep. And yes I have tried valerian root, melatonin, hot baths, many things. I think we are all so individually made up that we all respond differently to menopause. My Mom went through it naturally with no trouble, but she has her ovaries. My sister is a hormonal mess, but she went vegan last summer and her health has syrocketed and her symptoms have improved. I mean that girl went from living on fast food and frozen dinners to a refrigerator full of fresh fruits and vegetables and she cooks almost every meal now and eats a vegan whole foods diet and I am amazed at her transformation.

I wish I had a more natural answer for you. I know that exercise helps me regulate my hormones and I do it religiously six days a week. I also absolutely have to have a little bit of flax seed (either ground or flaxseed oil) every day and it makes a world of difference for me as far as digestion, better skin and hair, satiety, calmness. I get very little fat in my diet (partly because of my eating disorder) so I try to make it a habit to get the flax.