Thread: Roxy's Going Raw

Default Roxy's Going Raw

Right....I've been inspired by you lot here at the Raw section of the Vegan Forum

Quite seriously, I feel that over the past months, my dependency upon processed foods has become too much. I'd like to try going raw, so I can get back to basics. From what I've read, a raw diet has a lot to offer, the main benefit being that it's so healthy!

I'm thinking that I'm probably not going to be able to be 100% raw, but I'd like to try to be at least 75% raw.

I'm going to be starting on Sunday, after I do some grocery shopping for fresh fruits and veg on Saturday.

So far, I've found 2 raw meals that I'd like to make:

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1092-Mangocado-Salsa

I've no idea weather or not vinegar or olive oil are considered raw, but I do like the sound of this recipe.

The second one is:

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1105-...love-gazpacho-. Once again, I've no idea if the oil or vinegar are considered raw. I'll also substitute the agave nectar for the honey.

So, as most of you guys have known me for a while, I'd like any input you might have to offer this new semi-rawfoodist

And anyone who doesn't know me is welcome to give me their advice too.

Thanks a lot!!

Thumbs up Re: Roxy's Going Raw

ace roxy!!

i ran up some stairs this morning..like, i never do that..it's good..i feel all excited and bubblin' in my limbs all the time..snazzy choice!

i think cedarblue and zero are good people to get advice from. they knoooow things

olive oil is good if it's cold pressed, yes?
    i use balsamic vinegar..i don't know if that's raw tbh
    lemon juice!!

http://www.shazzie.com/

have a read through her journals roxy..the early stuff gives daily stuff of what she ate..i'm still ploughing through them.
    i bought a recipe book of hers and it's got loads of really tasty stuff in.

http://rawfamily.com/

http://www.rawcuisine.co.uk/recipes/

^ ^
    there aren't any recipes on that page as far as i can see..(oh yeah, there are...not loads but down the right hand side of the page..)but scroll down the right and there are stacks of links that're bound tolead to plenty of useful info
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Re: Roxy's Going Raw

I don't know much about eating raw Roxy............but I just wanted to wish you all the best, and I hope you will keep us informed of how you get on.
    I would like to try a more raw diet aswell.............I already love eating most vegetables raw anyway.
    Good luck!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Zero

Quote Roxy View Post
    So, as most of you guys have known me for a while, I'd like any input you might have to offer this new semi-rawfoodist

Roxy,

It's great that you have decided to go raw, I am sure you will find the difference in how you feel amazing.

From my personal experience, the best input I can give is:

*Have fun with it!

*Use the new found energy you will get.

*Don't get too hung up about what is raw and what isn't, just conisider a food on it's own merits, (i.e. if it comes in a box, tin, can or jar etc it's very likely not raw and won't be as healthy as fresh produce) Read the ingredients and decide for yourself what foods are vital and healthy to you, this makes for a good starting point.

*Avoid conversations with people who only want to criticize what you are doing, if you want you can just tell people that you are focusing on eating as much fresh food as possible, no one can really argue with that.

*If you binge on cooked food one day, remember that theres always tomorrow to start over again, don't beat yourself up because we all do it or have done it!

*Be creative, keep it interesting.

*Don't let anyone tell you what you should and shouldn't eat (even "Guru's") listen to your body. Do what feels right for you. There is no secret formula, if something isn't working then change it.

Best wishes on your raw journey.

exactly ditto zero!!

you'll slot into the amount of raw fresh stuff that feels do-able and acceptable to you. as far as i am concerned, ANY increase in fresh f & v can only be a goooood thing.

way to go!

p.s. that site looks interesting for recipes, i've bookmarked it - thanks!

p.p.s. don't forget to eat enough and always have things to eat to hand, it's getting the hunger pangs without having anything ready that make me reach for the cookies or cake sometimes.

one idea is to try some transitional recipes. let me know if you want any more info on these.

I hope you go well with it Roxy Good luck (I bet it helps working with organic fresh produce all day)

Good for you, Roxy! I love raw food too. I have a question though...is wine raw??
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

cobweb

The only thing that would bother me is finding enough organic produce (not atall easy where i live) because I'm not happy eating sprayed food raw.

Roxy I gather from comments that you are working in an organic fruit/veg store?. If so that will be a great help, won't it. I hope you really enjoy the raw thing, it's still something i would love to do properly.

I am excited for you, Roxy! I wish you the very best on your new journey. A friend of mine made this raw vegan sushi that was TO DIE FOR! I'm going to have to ask him for the recipe and I can email or PM it to you if you'd like.

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Best wishes!

Yeah Roxie!! We are with ya!! Some raw is better than no raw!!

RAW, RAW, RAW, THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!

Zero is very wise for his years!!

Thank you so much everybody for your wonderful support!!

Thanks for those links Emma. I'm going to go and have a look at them right after I make this post.

I'm not sure if the balsamic vinegar is raw or not. At this point, things like vinegar and oils are one reason that I've decided to try and only be 75% raw. If I use oil or vinegar that aren't raw, or feel like a bit of tofu in a salad when I'm out at a restaurant, I don't want to feel like I've "cheated" myself. Allowing myself a 25% allowance for un-raw foods will work well for me in this respect I think. I suppose I just don't want to go too hard too fast and then decide that it's all too hard and chuck it in, if you know what I mean.

Red, I doubt that wine is raw.

Thanks for all of those wonderful pointers Zero I especially like the one where you say to keep things varied and interesting. I think that's really important for me. I could see myself becoming bored very quickly with plain old apples, oranges, bananas and carrots all the time. I've found some really nice looking, easy recipes to start out with and will keep looking for more.

Cedar, your point about having raw snacks on hand is REALLY good! I know Larabars are considered Raw, as are the Perfect 10 bars we get here in Canada. I think I might keep some of those on hand for when I'm feeling like a bit of a more stodgy snack.

Yes Sticky, working with the organic fruit and veggies is a blessing! I'll get the best pick when it comes to choosing the freshest and nicest produce.

Cobweb, yes, I've changed jobs and now work in a natural foods grocery store, in the produce department. I'm really loving it!

Thanks Pisces, if you manage to get hold of that raw sushi recipe I'd love to try it out.

Now for another question......how many of you raw foodies own a dehydrator?

Good luck!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

belleadonna is right - some raw is better than no raw!
    Eve

I like this site Roxy.
    Good luck with your journey,it can be fun.
    http://www.kristensraw.com/

Thanks guys

Walnut, there seems to be quite a lot of informative info on that site. Thanks

So....how many of you raw foodies on a dehydrator?

Also, did any of you experience any awful detox symptoms, such as the ones I've been reading about today? Things like bad breath, white coating on the tongue, phlem, weird things coming out in your poo, skin breakouts? Stuff like that.

I found dehydrating too time consuming but ok now and then.
    I find apple juice keeps you regular
    It is in some of the liver cleansing recipes I've read also.

i don't have one but i would like one just to make some 'breads' and crackers, maybe the odd burger. i don't really want to be eating dehydrated foods all the time. i'm going to start looking on ebay.

I don't own a dehydrator and I don't plan to get one. Dehydrating takes all of the water out of the food and most of the crackers and stuff are seriously high in fat because they are made with flax. I hated the taste of them anyway. I bought some on-line to try before I invested in a dehydrator. I am glad that I did!! Saved me alot of money and another un-used appliance!

As to the boredom factor. I got to thinking about that the other day. I said to myself, "Self, are you eating to amuse yourself or to nourish your body??". HMMMMM

I had never thought of it that way before. Am I living to eat or eating to live? I am going to try to change my mindset and eat to live!! This will be the hard part.

Quote Roxy View Post
    So....how many of you raw foodies on a dehydrator?

Also, did any of you experience any awful detox symptoms, such as the ones I've been reading about today? Things like bad breath, white coating on the tongue, phlem, weird things coming out in your poo, skin breakouts? Stuff like that.
    i have two tiny spots on my face..haha..actually they're nowt..but i haven't had any spots in about a year..and that has to be a direct thingy of no dairy i'm sure.
    erm..i've had a bit of an upset tummy..no..not like with discomfort or anything..ehrr..i didn't want to just say my poos are less than perfect this last day or so

i haven't been 100% raw every day either..i'm trying very hard..and when my books arrive with lots of recipes/advice andtips and stuff i'll get stuck in properly.

looked into dehydrators..but they're really expensive!!!?!

i've been using my airing cupboard..it works okay. the corn/flax crackers didn't end up THAT crispy..but a bit bendy..which was like bread..very nice..and i amde some sweet potato crisps..they should've been more crunchy. i'd love a dehydrator, but it ain't happening..and i supose it's better to eat stuff fresh with its natural water content??
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I'm all ready to go! I went shopping today (well yesterday, as it's 2am) and bought $40 worth of organic produce. I have a couple of recipes I want to make and am looking forward to getting healthy again.

I agree, deyhdrators are expensive! $200 I think I'll be sticking with fresh fruit and veg, nuts and seeds for quite a while lol.

Default Balsamic vinegar

Just a note on balsamic vinegar - it's made from cooked grape juice so I would say it is not raw.

hmmm, interesting fiamma, thanks!