Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: too much fat on a raw diet?

Default too much fat on a raw diet?

i feel that im getting too much fat in my diet since becoming mostly raw, with the eating of guacamole, nuts/seeds, and olive oil in dressings. is this unhealthy?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

As far as I know, you are supposed to get 10%-20% fat from your diet. How come you aren't filling up on salads, smoothies, and healthier snacks? Just like a vegetarian who fills up on sweets, I would say that it probably isn't unhealthy, but not as healthy as you could be.
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

lol i dont eat JUST guacamole, nuts/seeds and olive oil! i meant that those are included in my diet, and im worried that i may be getting too much fat. i love fruit, salads and smoothies. but ill dip vegetables in guacamole, or use it on raw sushi, or i use olive oil in salad dressings, etc.

Then it doesn't sound like too much at all

i suppose if your diet is well rounded and youre getting a good variety of things, you cant be too high or low on anything.

Default Re: too much fat on a raw diet?

I'd like to resurect this thread.

I feel like I am getting far too much fat on my new mostly-raw food diet.

The fat is coming mainly from nuts, seeds, avocado and olive oil. My skin seems to be liking it - but when I calculate the figures on fitday, it seems I'm getting a fat percentage of between 35 and 40% per day....which seems very excessive.

I worked VERY hard to lose the weight that I have, and I don't want to start putting it back on now.

Suggestions, anyone?

but are you actually putting on weight roxy? imo the simpler you eat your body will adjust to it's natural weight, even if that involves putting on a lb or two, although it's normally the other way around. have you been monitoring your weight since eating more raw?

No, I haven't. Only because I'm due for my period, so if I get on the scale, it's going to show me as being heavier than usual anyway, due to it being that time of the month.

My clothes are fitting me the same. I guess I'm just paranoid about fat, seeing as I lost almost 40 pounds over a couple years, and I don't want to go back to what I was

What are your percentages of carbs and protein? When I used to track, I went for 15-20% protein, 20-30% fat (usually at the higher end), and 50-65% carbs. I think 20-30% is the recommended amount for fat. But that wasn't a raw diet....
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

I think that fitday is evil!! I don't think that it is very accurate. And how come it doesn't do sugar?!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Ah, I used to do CalorieKing... it was lovely... very accurate as long as YOU were accurate (weighed/measured food). It had tons of stuff in the database. And it did sugar. I think I used it to track protein, fat, sugar, calcium, carbs, sodium... and maybe iron and potassium? It costs $ though.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

cobweb

surely it depends on the type of fats though - and what else you are eating with them?

i also think fitday is very inaccurate when compared to information on packaging, etc.

Hi Roxy,

Well, I haven't sustained an all raw intake for very long so I'm just saying what I know from doing it for a few days here and there. Personally, when I eat raw, I don't get much fat or protein at all. I think it's much healthier to get around 30% than less than 10%... after all, fat is needed to properly absorb vitamins and maintain cellular membranes, etc...

I'm not sure what the Canadian standards are, but as far as fat intake, the US standards recommend between 15-35%. Personally, I like to hit like 20% or less when I'm eating some cooked and some raw. Everyone requires different levels of fat to feel satiated. Anyway....

I understand that you're worried about putting weight on, but if you aren't eating more calories than before, you won't put on weight. Gaining weight is a direct correlation with number of calories you consume, regardless of what percentage is fat, protein, or CHOs. Maintaining your calories and varying your fat intake from day to day would be completely fine for weight maintanence.

By the way, I'm so happy you're starting raw! I can't wait to do this in the next week or so.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

fitday doesn't know what soya milk is..not that soya milk is raw..but whatever.

i think i'm having too much fat stuff on the raw thing. sunflower seeds..avocados..tahini (haven't even begun to try and buy that raw yet)..nuts...nuts..nuts..olive oil..hemp seeds..

i refuse to use fitday now..it is just making me feel crap about what i'm (trying to do) doing.

i've heard you say beofre roxy that you're a little uneasy about eating stuff that might contribute to weight gain, but you have an active job/lifestyle.

i wouldn't worry too much. didn't you work out your calorie intake and it was pretty low for the day, and that was including all the fatty stuff?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

**WARNING** This post may contain triggers for someone with an E.D. Please don't read on if this could be you.

Thanks everyone for all of your supportive replies

Yes Emma, my calorie intake has been a lot lower than previously, but the fat intake has been a lot higher.

I don't know what I'm going to do to tell you the truth.

Eating raw has actually triggered my ED today I feel like I've been depriving myself, so tonight I binged on junk food. I had chips, chocolate and some little phyllo pastry things as well as almost a bottle of wine. I feel like shit for doing it, but I'm not going to let myself go and purge it all.

I think it might be healthier for me to start again, and try to introduce raw foods more slowly into my diet, rather than try and go all out and be 75% raw. What's the point, if it's going to cause me to go back to being bulimic?

Sorry for the rant everyone.

aw roxy,
    im sorry you had to go through that...

i also have an eating disorder, and have for most of my life.
    it can be so difficult...

good for you for not letting yourself purge... that takes a great deal of strength.

a couple of summers ago, i also was religously following a raw diet... and at that time, my eating disorder was at its all time worst. (im not saying that a raw diet causes eating disorders, but for me, it made things slightly out of control in my head...)

anyway, im not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but have you heard of john matsen? the author of eating alive and eating alive 2?

he is a naturopath who lives and works in vancouver, and his books are, in my opinion, brilliant.

he is essentially against a raw diet for vancouverites. his main theory is that people should eat according to the climate they live in. and obviously, here in vancouver, we need warming foods like soup, stew and oatmeal. (its all to do with your sodium/potassium balance)

he points out that while a raw diet may be a great idea in california and other such places, in cold rainy vancouver, it can actually hinder great health.
    obviously, he delves into a much more of a scientific point of view than i am mentioning, but you get the idea.

anyway, ive been thinking of making an appointment with him. its only $15.
    ill let ya know how it goes if i do.

again, im sorry about your shitty evening... dont be too hard on yourself.
    i hope it helps to know that there are so many others out there who are experiencing similar problems.....

message me anytime if you want to talk, or rant!

xo.
    ~k

oops, i lied. the appointment is actually $46.
    ... quite a bit more, but still, probably worth it.

interesting info in your post petunia, thanks.

cobweb

ok, i did not want to say this before in case it sounded just too negative, etc, but I have tried going raw a couple of times and ended up feeling that (for me) it was just another 'symptom' or trigger (not entirely sure which?) of my disordered eating.

In the past i have managed to go 100% raw for short periods, and my eyes were shining and my sking glowing, etc...............then suddenly i turn into Monster Woman and eat all the chocolate i can get my hands on in one sitting, then go back to cooked food.

I really do love the idea of raw food - natural, less polluting for the environment, higher vitamin content, etc etc, but *for me* i think it's just another way of way of being controlling about what i eat, which ultimately backfires.

I am still in awe of raw fooders who choose to go raw for health and ethical reasons.

Good Luck with whatever you choose, Roxy.

Thanks for your support Petunia and Cobweb

Petunia, I've never heard of that guy. I'll google him when I get home tonight and have a read about him. Thanks for the info.

Me too cobweb, thanks for being honest about that. It makes me feel less embarrassed, and less likely to go on a restricted diet I think.

I've been wondering lately if the ill effects I get from eating too much fat are indigestion. I've always called it indigestion, that is my clever way of saying constipation- but I had always thought indigestion simply means heart burn. I was looking up some other symptoms though, and tightness in the throat, lead weight in the stomach, and burping are also big signs. Eating too much fat was the main cause, I guess you can't digest when you have an oil slick in your stomach? I had been off onions for a long time and had them the other day at a restaurant (beggars can't be chosers). I had horrible sharp pains in my chest, I really don't think it was psychosomatic. Cuz I was altogether calm about it and figured it for heart burn. I also have had sharp pains in my back from eating raw onions. Weird shit but it would be the opposite side of where I have heart burn.
    Last edited by Haniska; Mar 8th, 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: indigestion
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

cobweb

that's ok, Haniska, i never wanted to say because people might think i was 'anti' raw food eating.

I get a horrible choking sensation and burning in my throat from eating too much fat, also raw garlic and onion - took me a while to figure out that it's acid reflux!.

Wow, my brother has terrible heart burn/acid reflux and it never crossed my mind because I had no symptoms of pain in my chest! I don't know that he did either I just totally assumed. All this time I had been trying to speed up my digestion

oMG All this time I had been trying to figure out the correlation to chest pain after eating *sexy* (fattening) vegan foods and the chest pain that had me avoiding pork before.

Citrus fruits, fruit skins, cooked cabbage, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, beans and pulses, nuts, bread, pork, spices, wine, neat spirits, fizzy drinks, and rich fatty foods are all quite difficult to digest and cause flatulence unless eaten in small quantities; tea, coffee, and refined carbohydrates also interfere with stomach function.
    http://www.drlockie.com/disease/indiges.htm

ok, in reference to triggering eating disorders...i dont know that i can say i have or have had one. but i do know that i tend to become obsessive about food. sometimes it seems that the more i try to be strict in my way of eating (whichever way that may be) i will later feel like i am spiraling out of control. lately, i have been feeling like i constantly want to eat. and even though i am eating healthy things..too much of anything is not good. i know that i will start to put on some weight..if i haven't already, and the idea of putting on weight freaks me out. this has caused me to want to exercise more..so now i will do an hour 1/2- 2 hours at the gym..almost every day. most times i feel like i need a distraction so i will not want to eat. i am not an overweight person right now..but i was for my entire young life...and i dont ever want to be that way again. it consumes me, ironically. food seems to be "consuming" me.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    [SIZE=3]..so now i will do an hour 1/2- 2 hours at the gym..almost every day.
    imo that is too much - the purpose of having rest days inbetween is to rest the muscles and make them more effective. i don't think exercising like that everyday is necessarily helpful.

try to pace yourself and have some rest inbetween.

Zero

For anyone who feels like the they are eating too much fat on a raw diet. If you feel great eating the amount you are why change it? If you feel bad then you probably are getting too much, let your body tell you what it needs.

I keep seeing this phrase "Fat is Fat" and I disagree. That is like comparing apples with pasta simply because they both have a high carbohydrate content, however they are intrinsically different.

There are many different fats, some of them damaging to the body, others nourishing. Avocado's are one of the best forms of fat you can get because it is natural and still a whole food. Raw vegetable and fruit fats in their natural state are good for the body. Obviously animal fats damage the body (but we don't need to worry about that ), hydrogenated, refined and other heated oils are of course more carcinogenic.

Nuts and seeds can be acidic so are better in small amounts (best sprouted or soaked), cold pressed oils are only part of a food and are missing all the other components of the whole food they came from, so are better in smaller quantities.

So, if you are not gaining weight (unless you need to) and you feel good, why worry?

If you don't feel good and you think it's down to the fat content change it, consider what you are eating on it's own merits and you will do fine.

Anyone can analyze your diet and tell you "Oh you are eating too much of x" but how do they really know?

Levels that they are bench marking this against are generally the so called "normal" levels of your average omnivore "SAD" eater RDI. So the benchmark is completely out of sync with the result anyway! The two don't relate to each other correctly.

The recommendations I've read say that you should have no more than 30% of your calories come from fat with no more than a third of those coming from saturated fat. In other words, if you eat 30% of your calories from fat, no more than 10% should be saturated... if you eat 24% of your calories from fat, no more than 8% should be saturated... obviously this isn't something vegans need to worry about (unless you frequently eat cocounut oil/milk, palm oil, and chocolate in large amount).

Just wanted to point out that the recommendation of 30% *does* take into account what kind of fat you're eating. Even though most vegetable fats are the "good" kind (unsaturated) you're still not supposed to eat more than 30%.

Then again, I believe these are the recommendations of the US government... so trust at your own peril.

Zero

Quote ALexiconofLove View Post
    Just wanted to point out that the recommendation of 30% *does* take into account what kind of fat you're eating. Even though most vegetable fats are the "good" kind (unsaturated) you're still not supposed to eat more than 30%.
    Like I was saying if you focus on getting your fats from whole food sources you will struggle to eat too much, moreover you would probably have to force yourself. It is when people eat mass amounts of the broken down or less vital kinds (i.e. changing what nature has given us) that they tend to run into issues.

However if somebody was eating 35% or 40% fats in the calorie range and were thriving on it, who am I to tell them they should change their diet? I can't because I am not them. I certainly would not criticize them.

Generalizations of this kind will always struggle to compare to an individuals personal experiences and results. Like I stated previously these recomendations are also mostly based upon a large group of people who don't eat the way we do and therefore have different metabolism rates along with a whole host of other variables.

Sorry, I'm certainly not trying to criticize anyone or tell them what to do! Someone asked for advice so I was supplying advice based on how I eat. There is indeed a lot of variability among indiduals, but we are all human beings, and some of our needs are similar. I personally don't think it's a good idea to have too much fat in one's diet, but I'm not trying to force that view on others.

I agree that the RDIs may not be ideal and are implimented for the general population. But there is also a great deal of scientific reasoning behind these numbers and recommendations. They could be regarded as "safe ranges".

But I also think doing what you feel is best for your body is always great. However, I don't think it's as simple as that - it can be really difficult to know this kind of stuff. I think eating intuitively works when the person is both informed and invested in it wholly. I don't believe people know intuitively what to eat and what not to. Hopefully, an individuals food choices are based on educated decisions in accordance with the information science has provided them with.

So...to sum this up, I'd stick with <30% of total calories from fat.

Maya, I don't think working out in itself is too obsessive. I think the thinking patterns could be a little "off" and lead you to unhealthy behaviors. Ultimately you'd be able to eat withot guilt and not exercize everyday... eh that probably wasn't helpful... sorry

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Maya, I don't think working out in itself is too obsessive. I think the thinking patterns could be a little "off" and lead you to unhealthy behaviors. Ultimately you'd be able to eat withot guilt and not exercize everyday... eh that probably wasn't helpful... sorry
    haha...dont say that it wasn't helpful. anytime anyone is willing to lend the time to give me advice..i find it can be helpful. i do know what you are saying and it makes sense. i know that i have a somewhat distorted view of how i should eat, exercise...look. i am very hard on myself..but i feel like i have to be. if i let myself indulge, its only a matter of time before i start to feel horrible about it. then its back to obsessive exercise and eating restrictions..and round and round i go...
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Zero

Sorry, I'm certainly not trying to criticize anyone or tell them what to do! Someone asked for advice so I was supplying advice based on how I eat. There is indeed a lot of variability among indiduals, but we are all human beings, and some of our needs are similar. I personally don't think it's a good idea to have too much fat in one's diet, but I'm not trying to force that view on others.
    I never said you were Alex

All we can really do is share our personal experiences with others, the only problem is our personal experiences don't always work well for other, that was the main point I was putting across.

Zero

I agree that the RDIs may not be ideal and are implimented for the general population. But there is also a great deal of scientific reasoning behind these numbers and recommendations. They could be regarded as "safe ranges".
    You can certainly use this as a quide if you want to. However this scientific reasoning becomes very unscientific because the results don't correlate properly.

It does take a lot of experimentaton to find the way that works best for you. However sometimes when people listen to these numbers or base their eating on someones experiences they fail when they were doing fine and feeling great, I have seen it many times.

I did it plenty of times myself in the beginning.

Thank you for your input everyone

I've fallen off the raw wagon for the past couple of days, unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to climbing back on board in the next couple of days This time I'm going to be a little bit more realistic about it, and as LMNOP suggest, eat intuitively.

Zero

Quote Roxy View Post
    Thank you for your input everyone

I've fallen off the raw wagon for the past couple of days, unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to climbing back on board in the next couple of days This time I'm going to be a little bit more realistic about it, and as LMNOP suggest, eat intuitively.
    It happens to everyone Roxy, there is always tomorrow to start get right back on, experiment and have fun with it!

You are doing great!

Thanks Zero A little friendly encouragement can never go astray!

The recommendations I've read say that you should have no more than 30% of your calories come from fat with no more than a third of those coming from saturated fat. In other words, if you eat 30% of your calories from fat, no more than 10% should be saturated... if you eat 24% of your calories from fat, no more than 8% should be saturated... obviously this isn't something vegans need to worry about (unless you frequently eat cocounut oil/milk, palm oil, and chocolate in large amount).

Then again, I believe these are the recommendations of the US government... so trust at your own peril.
    I think the RDAs a good starting place. Just like bra size you don't want to go in without at least some idea.

I follow the RDA's because I don't know what else TO follow. By doing so, I always seem to get my RDA's of vitamins A,C, D, B6, B12 and K and Iron. I'm usually lacking in Calcium.

I don't follow RDA's just because I eat plenty of good raw food and I am sure that all that I need is supplied by them. Just remember that RDA's are seriously jacked up as a "just in case" type scenario.

Have any of you read, "The China Study" by Campbell? A must read for any person on the planet!!

Zero

Quote belleadonna View Post
    I don't follow RDA's just because I eat plenty of good raw food and I am sure that all that I need is supplied by them. Just remember that RDA's are seriously jacked up as a "just in case" type scenario.

Have any of you read, "The China Study" by Campbell? A must read for any person on the planet!!
    Absolutely, the China study is excellent. It and other studies show that some people in rural China eat rice and vegetables in the main (sometimes only one meal a day) and they perform manual work all day, and are fit and healthy.

Quote Zero View Post
    However this scientific reasoning becomes very unscientific because the results don't correlate properly.
    "results dont correlate properly"... what results and why don't they correlate properly?

Quote belleadonna View Post
    I don't follow RDA's just because I eat plenty of good raw food and I am sure that all that I need is supplied by them.
    have you figured out your macronutrient ranges and intake of various minerals and vitamins? do you know if you are/ are not within the RDI ranges?

Zero

"results dont correlate properly"... what results and why don't they correlate properly?
    Base group (cooked, predominantly omnivore) vs Raw vegans results

what results?

why must it be omnis vs raw vegans? plenty of cooked AND raw vegans can stay within the RDI ranges...

Zero

what results?

why must it be omnis vs raw vegans? plenty of cooked AND raw vegans can stay within the RDI ranges...

As I've always said just do what works best for you, I am already tired of debating this

When I fall down dead from not staying within RDI ranges you will be proved right.

I think it's perfectly fine to go oustide the RDI ranges. I think there are ways to stay within them on raw, cooked, vegan, omni, etc... I was curious as to what results you were referring to.

Obviously lab results woudl be markedly different for those on a raw vegan diet and an omni one. But I'm not sure how that would relate to following the RDI for fat intake.

Zero

I think it's perfectly fine to go oustide the RDI ranges. I think there are ways to stay within them on raw, cooked, vegan, omni, etc... I was curious as to what results you were referring to.

Obviously lab results woudl be markedly different for those on a raw vegan diet and an omni one. But I'm not sure how that would relate to following the RDI for fat intake.
    I just meant people who eat raw monitoring their personal nutrient intake and then comparing it to figures based on a group the majority of whose food is chemically different.

but what figures are they comparing? personal nutrient intake = vitamin and mineral intakes? or macronutrient intakes? im confused at what you're saying...

anyone of a particular diet (omni, raw, cooked, vegan, etc) can easily reach the RDIs set for fat intake on either end - the 15-35% of total calories is a huge range. it allows various dietary goals, preferences (ie raw), lifestyles...

I am with Zero on this one. Just eat good fresh fruits and veggies. They have all that we need!!
    Sometimes we overdo the amount of calories we eat too. People are so worried about if they are getting enough calories eating raw. Your body will let you know if you are not eating enough.
    Sometimes we overthink this thing and make it more complicated than it has to be.