Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Superdrug shops

Talking Superdrug shops

There aren't that many Superdrug shops in Ireland but there's one up near where I go to college and its full of own brand stuff labelled as vegan! And really cheap too, a student's dream! Does anyone else like Superdrug or is there anything I should know about them?

Buddha Belly

Default Re: Superdrug

Me and Helen went into Hitchin to look at all the newly labelled goods. I had forgotten that underarm deoderant can cost under £6. We got a few bits and were impressed by how much is labelled vegan now they have their BUAV accreditation. It is a big company but fuck it, that's lots of people buying vegan things. The BUAV is too new for it to be on most of the labels yet, but it is vegan.

I don't mind superdrugs it is big, some on here will tell you to shop small and independant, but I can nor afford too.

BlackCats

I use Superdrug. I really like their body butters/ lotions and hand cream. I haven't really looked round at all their vegan products yet. The Co-ops near me are rubbish and never have any toiletries so I just buy lots of stuff from Superdrug or the 99p shop as they often have Original Source shower gels and shampoo.

Buddha Belly

The 99p shop sometimes get vegan Oreos, worth checking each time.

And back to thread.......

Default Re: Superdrug shops

Superdrug sell the only vegan friendly 2in1 shampoo+conditioner I've ever seen, which is sensibly priced and my hair seems to like. For that alone they deserve an award.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

helen105281

Yesterday we got deodorant, razors, shaving gel, 2 lots of hand sanitiser, and wipes all labelled vegan and all for around £6. I love Superdrug and even more so now is BUAV appproved. I use their face creams too which are lovely. I say shop away especially if there is not much else in your area.

BlackCats

^ I didn't realise so many products were vegan. Cool.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Ooh I will have to look out for them thanks.

Do you mean like, actual Oreos (they have vegan ones in North America), or just black cookies with white stuff in them?

Buddha Belly

Quote refinnej View Post
    Do you mean like, actual Oreos (they have vegan ones in North America), or just black cookies with white stuff in them?
    Proper Oreos. Sometimes they get a batch from Malaysia in the snacksize. The Malaysian ones I've seen are vegan.

superdrug =

I didn't know that Superdrug did vegan stuff, I'll be looking in there today, especially for the 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. The Co-Op that I went to closed down recently, so this is really good news to me.

Superdrug are now also BUAV approved
    http://www.buav.org/a/2010/02/19/282
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Wow, I didn't realise their deodourant was vegan too, vegan deodourant can be pretty expensive, up to €8 for a stick! I just wish they'd start doing toothpaste, I still have to pay nearly a fiver for a tube of vegan toothpaste in the health food shop. I prefer to support small brands but they can be so expensive.
    And about vegan oreos you should check any big Asian supermarkets, sometimes they get in Asian oreos which are vegan.

Buddha Belly

Cheers for Asian tip. I may e-mail superdrugs to find out vegan status of toothpastes now and in the future

Proper Oreos. Sometimes they get a batch from Malaysia in the snacksize. The Malaysian ones I've seen are vegan.
    Ooh. I haven't had these in ages. They used to be owned by Philip Morris/Altria (aka "tobacco selling whores of the devil"), but they spun off a couple of years ago. Every time I look here though, I can only find the ones with whey in them. There are several store-brands in the States that are accidentally vegan as well, but not much luck here.

Asian markets = also good place to find random American/Canadian sodas (like root beer). Who knew?

As for Superdrug, I've been trying to shop a bit more there, than say Boots, Lloyd's etc. If they are labelling their stuff as vegan, I want to support them. I did write to them recently about parabens though..would love to see more paraben-free items. Favorite thing I've been getting from them lately is some lotion, in a recyclable tube, labeled vegan, and paraben-free.

(sometimes it's like a fairy land here, compared to America)

Quote refinnej View Post
    lotion, in a recyclable tube, labeled vegan, and paraben-free
    What is it called / what range is it in? I'm only interested in paraben-free stuff really so would like to know what they have. I never really think look in Superdrug but will have a look.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

paraben-free dont blame you Marrers I stick to now buying mens Bulldog Range http://www.meetthebulldog.com vegan / FT / No chemicals etc.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote Marrers View Post
    What is it called / what range is it in? I'm only interested in paraben-free stuff really so would like to know what they have. I never really think look in Superdrug but will have a look.
    Hm. I was trying to find an image on their site, but no luck. There are maybe 4 different varieties that come in blue tubes like the one shown in the middle of the pic below. I think all are vegan, but I can't remember for sure. The one I like the best is "24 hour protective cream for dry hands".
    http://www.womanandhome.com/imageBan...a4341ed27e.jpg

And back to thread.......
    That's got me really excited BB.........my daughter loves Oreos!

I too love Superdrug. Their own brand hair dyes are vegan (but not the conditioner in the box sadly) and they do little shampoo dyes which state they are vegan on the product.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I only found out a couple of weeks ago that Superdrug's own brand are vegan,I stumbled on their shampoo/conditioner as they were on display,I got so excited it was embarrasing
    and now....vegan oreo's at 99p store! ......*fainted*
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

oh you are all ahead of me! i just emailed superdrug about vegan labelling after their BUAV announcement and the reply was that the new labels are coming in ASAP i am very excited, if only they did a points card to rival boots now haha!

Quote sandra View Post
    That's got me really excited BB.........my daughter loves Oreos!

I too love Superdrug. Their own brand hair dyes are vegan (but not the conditioner in the box sadly) and they do little shampoo dyes which state they are vegan on the product.
    Which ones are vegan?? It's just that I bought a couple, and didn't check the ingredients thoroughly enough having read comments similar to yours online. It wasn't until I'd used one and was waiting to rinse it off that I read everything properly to pass the time and found that the conditioner has lanolin in and the dye has lanolin alcohol in.

I normally use the naturtint ones and love them but they're quite expensive and I'm trying to save money anywhere I can to buy a house this year.

I love superdrugs lotion I use it after I have a shower and have a tube of the handcream in my bag for work as I suffer with bad dry skin. I'll have to look into more of their own brand products now that I know most will be vegan

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I just wish they'd start doing toothpaste, I still have to pay nearly a fiver for a tube of vegan toothpaste in the health food shop.
    Their toothpaste is vegan and has been labelled for a while. Yay! Good times!

Quote Hel View Post
    oh you are all ahead of me! i just emailed superdrug about vegan labelling after their BUAV announcement and the reply was that the new labels are coming in ASAP i am very excited, if only they did a points card to rival boots now haha!
    they have started doing a reward card, i got mine in the post other day, cant register it till 11may so am assuming thats when the points or whatever it is they are doing will be starting. the card is also a mirror! (i get so excited over virtually anything!)
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Quote genisis View Post
    they have started doing a reward card, i got mine in the post other day, cant register it till 11may so am assuming thats when the points or whatever it is they are doing will be starting. the card is also a mirror! (i get so excited over virtually anything!)
    Yay! That's GREAT news!

To be honest, my house is like a mini-Superdrug. I get pretty much all our toiletries and lotions and potions and stuff from there.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote genisis View Post
    ... the card is also a mirror! (i get so excited over virtually anything!)
    Funny lol.

I didn't know that Superdrug had some vegan stuff. Definitely going there next time.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I get the toothpaste sometimes (far cheaper than other makes and tastes good as well)

I've got a card! And it seems a much better deal than the Boots card (having said that, I only got a Boots card a couple of years ago and I rarely venture inside Boots...) as you can spend the points at any time and they don't need to cover the entire cost.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I know their Dry Skin Itch Relief Cream is both Vegan and Paraben-free (I have a bottle right in front of me ) It's white with teal writing on it and what looks like 5 teal leaves in diffrent shades fanned out.
    Life is a journey, you just have to decided on the course you want to take.

Did anyone work out if any of their hair dyes are vegan? My mop is a mess and I'd rather not have to use henna since I look god-awful in red-tones

Failing that, any other dye suggestions?

Ooh, points cards! Haven't got mine yet

Quote Luinecu View Post
    Did anyone work out if any of their hair dyes are vegan? My mop is a mess and I'd rather not have to use henna since I look god-awful in red-tones

Ooh, points cards! Haven't got mine yet
    If I remember right their own brand hair dye might be vegan (not 100% sure so I wouldn't like to say yes or no to it being vegan). I'm heading there tomorrow to have a nose and I'll let you know if their hair dye is vegan or not I know their are ones in health food shops that are vegan and I think possibly the ones in Holland & Barrett are vegan too much I haven't looked
    Life is a journey, you just have to decided on the course you want to take.

Superdrug's own hair dye itself is vegan but not the conditioner that comes with it.................so you can dye your hair but have to use another conditioner.

Ah, ok Don't feel happy about buying it if the conditioner isn't vegan unfortunately..

The permanent hair dye is only marked as vegetarian - presumably for the reason Sandra mentioned. But their wash in wash out type stuff which lasts a few shampoos is vegan. So I sometimes use it in between bothering with henna - you just wash it in to your hair and sit with it for 5-10 minutes and wash it out. And it's only about 99p and in a bottle so you can use a few times. Perfect to have around if your grey hairs suddenly start showing and you want a quick easy fix.

Quote smurfette View Post
    Their toothpaste is vegan and has been labelled for a while. Yay! Good times!
    I've seen it since, but when I started this thread I couldn't find the vegan-labeled toothpaste or mothwash but now it's all labeled, good times indeed Smurfette
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Luinecu View Post

I always use Naturatint, which is probably the brand you see in health food shops. It comes in a green box, is vegan and the conditioner is really nice.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote snaffler View Post
    paraben-free dont blame you Marrers I stick to now buying mens Bulldog Range http://www.meetthebulldog.com vegan / FT / No chemicals etc.
    All I think of is David Mitchell's soapbox...
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Luinecu View Post
    Ah, ok Don't feel happy about buying it if the conditioner isn't vegan unfortunately..
    I see Luinecu. I use their permanent dye though and always make a point of writing to Superdrug to tell them that I can't use the conditioner because I'm vegan and would they consider making it vegan. Rather than not buying it at all, I like to try and encourage companies to change their products.

It's a bit mad, isn't it, considering how many of their conditioners are vegan! *grumble* I'll do the same.. I buy pretty much everything from Superdrug these days, so I feel justified in asking them to reconsider their ingredients

It is so annoying when there is absolutely no need for them NOT to have a vegan conditioner in their permanent dyes. It's great though, the way Superdrug have a lot of vegan stuff............the more we shop there and let them know we want vegan products the more they'll provide.

Quote sandra View Post
    Superdrug's own hair dye itself is vegan but not the conditioner that comes with it.................so you can dye your hair but have to use another conditioner.
    It might be worth double checking that, as I said earlier in the thread there is lanolin in the conditioner but there is lanolin alcohol in the dye itself.

You're right Tigerbabe!
    I have one of their dyes in the house and checked it (luckily I hadn't used it). It just goes to show you have to keep checking the ingredients of things as they keep changing them. Luckily, I like the shampoo blonde dyes so I'll just use them in future.

I found vegan dry shampoo in my local Superdrug, the first time I've ever seen one that is vegan-friendly in shops
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I found vegan dry shampoo in my local Superdrug, the first time I've ever seen one that is vegan-friendly in shops
    I tried dry shampoo three or four years ago when I'd had an op and couldn't easily take a bath or shower. I don't know if I've just got cr*p hair, but it just make my roots greasy and my hair fluffy. Is there a 'knack'?

ohh didn't know they did dry shampoo or that the dyes were vegan! cool

i remember with dry shampoo you had to use loads so your hair was super white then brush the hell out of it, and it was never lovely, but took the grease away at least.
    be the change you wish to see in the world.

Superdrug sell a lovely Day face cream with vitamin E and also a Night cream..........they smell lovely too.
    Silly me though, I stood in the shop reading through all the ingredients only to see at the bottom they'd written 'Suitable for vegans'..............I should have realised they would have labelled it properly...............I love Superdrug.

Do you now have one of their beautycards, sandra? It's well worth it. I spend a lot in Superdrug, and have already got a bit of money off since I got mine.

Funny you should ask that Pusskins.............I was given one the other day while I was in Superdrug and registered online this morning. It will be nice to be able to build up some points and get money off.

And its always good to have a mirror in your wallet/purse. I spend more time doing my hair on the train now