Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Superdrug shops

Default Re: Superdrug shops

I asked about the loyalty cards in my local Superdrug and they said we won't be getting them here in the near future. I think it's because we only have a handful of their shops in the country at the moment
    Houmous atá ann!

Are they just not getting them, or can they not use them either?
    If you want one I would be happy to post one to you.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Are they just not getting them, or can they not use them either?
    If you want one I would be happy to post one to you.
    I don't know actually, that's a good question. I think it's that they're not using them here yet, but I'll ask and let you know. Thanks Firestorm
    Houmous atá ann!

I know a few people already know about this but Superdrug recently ran a poll on Facebook to help them decide which charity they should support in 2012. One of the options was Cancer Research UK and sadly it won.

Please let Superdrug know that supporting an animal research charity is unacceptable, preferably on their Faceook page or alternatively by their contact us page.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I loooovvveeeee Superdrug! Oddly we have a drugstore chain called 'Watsons' (Hong Kong based chain) here in Istanbul and they sell Superdrug products for amazing prices!

I love it when products have clear labelling and seeing 'suitable for vegans' written down. It makes me feel less lonely.

Quote victoriangirl View Post
    I love it when products have clear labelling and seeing 'suitable for vegans' written down. It makes me feel less lonely.
    Me too Victoriangirl!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I emailed Superdug expressing my surprise and horror at them supporting Cancer Research despite being BUAV approved etc... here's their reply, which I'm guessing is a template others have had.

Dear Ms xxxx,

Thank you for your email enquiry regarding Cancer research UK.

Superdrug has a charter against animal testing and neither the company
    or its own brand manufacturers commission animal testing on any
    Superdrug products or ingredients. 2009 saw Superdrug become the first
    mainstream beauty retailer to offer BUAV (British Union for the
    Abolition of Vivisection) approved own label beauty, toiletries and
    household products.

Superdrug supports Cancer Research UK as part of its campaign on the
    dangers of skin cancer and the ways this disease can be avoided by
    taking some simple steps during the summer. Incidences of skin cancer
    grow each year in the UK and we believe that offering our customers the
    expertise and advice of the country's biggest charity cancer is vital to
    help stop this growth.

I hope this explains the position we are in a little better.

Thank you for contacting Superdrug

Is it me, or does that have 2 copied and pasted answers to different questions, and in no way addresses how a company aiming to be ethical supports a charity which completely goes against their own company values? On their website their "views" are stated as "Bringing to an end all testing on animals of cosmetic and toiletries products, and their ingredients" - admittedly no mention of medical research but still...

It does look like two answers spliced together, Blue Moon. Some people think animal testing is justifiable for medical research but not cosmetics etc, but if that's what they think they should at least have explained it, shouldn't they!

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.

I know they're not perfect, but I hoped better of them than that. There are so many alternative charities to choose from, going with a different one for ethical reasons would be easy, whereas not stocking L'Oreal and all the others would sadly be the death of them in the high street wars, depressing as that is and what it says about society. I've probably not explained that too well.

Quote CuddlyChicken View Post
    Well, they also sell brands that aren't cruelty free so they're against their own "company values" one way or the other.
    The way I see it is that not buying those brands does not contribute to animal cruelty, whereas if a portion of the companies money is going to Cancer Research even if you buy their own brand non-animal tested products you'll still be giving money to animal testing.

Does anyone know which charity they supported this year?

Being a responsible retailer is core to our activities and in 2006 we launched a long term partnership with the Prince's Trust to support young people with potential through a programme of fund-raising, employee involvement and creating job opportunities.

Since 2006 we have been working to raise fund and awareness to support charities which work on skin cancer campaigns. We have worked with the Institute of Cancer Research, the Teenage Cancer Trust and CRUK and this year will see us exceed raising over £1 million for skin cancer charities over the last six years.

We are also supporting the NSPCC’s Childline campaign and this year exclusively launched the playground must have pin badge, the Moodi to help raise funds and awareness for their Child Voice appeal to ensure that as many calls as possible can be answered by the charity.
    http://www.superdrug.com/about-us/su...uperdrugviews/

Unfortunately, again it comes down to having to exist in a predominantly non-vegan world. If we stopped shopping at ALL the places that engage in non-vegan activities we would have nowhere to shop.
    Until there are shops that sell completely all vegan things and do not support anything that isn't vegan we will have to shop at Superdrug and stores like it.
    At least they are making more effort than most by selling vegan products and not testing their products on animals, it's a step in the right direction.

^ But in this instance we have the opportunity to make a change to the company and persuade them NOT to support CRUK.

Of course Risker, I wasn't meaning not to try and persuade them otherwise........I meant that I wouldn't be boycotting Superdrug because of this.

^ Neither will I (but I told them I would!)

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ Neither will I (but I told them I would!)
    I'll go and do the same right now

...while you are there, you might want to take them for fifty pence [in the long run]. Buy one get one half price on the kid's range. The melon body wash [99p with the piggy picture...and very melon smell], and the strawberry shampoo / conditioner [99p] = 150 pence together.

I've got a couple of reports on alternatives to animal testing somewhere. I didn't see the organisation whom were distributing them at Wolves vegan fayre this year. I need a book shelf to put those on.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I contacted BUAV about the Cancer Research thing a while back and have just got a response.

Thanks for your email and please accept our apologies for the delay in writing to you. We would be very concerned if Cancer Research UK were selected by Superdrug as their charity to support in 2012 and we have spoken to Superdrug about this already.

However, Superdrug’s cosmetics and household products will retain BUAV Leaping Bunny certification so long as Superdrug continues to meet the requirements of the certification.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

^ I'm glad someone[s] addressed the issue. ^
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Crusty Rat

A well as funding animal torture, Superdrug support tar sand projects... http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/Boyco...Superdrug.aspx

I think it's a case of having to live in a predominantly un-vegan world. If we had to avoided every un-vegan thing we would have to stay in a cave and wait to die. As that would be no good in the long run to us or the animals I think the best approach is to inform Superdrug of our views.
    At the moment Superdrug are at least attempting to incorporate vegans into the mainstream. They have numerous vegan products with labelling stating them as being vegan. For this I am thankful. If we start 'boycotting' them they might just take the view that it is too much trouble. Where would that get us................absolutely nowhere.

Crusty Rat

I guess if you have no independant shops anywhere within reach of you which stock vegan stuff/will order things in for you then you're a bit stuck. I generally go for the most etchically sound place I can find - the best I can get is all-vegetarian shops. If only everywhere had a place like Unicorn in Manchester!

It really isn't a matter of that...........I do buy vegan products from vegan sites etc but in the real world we can't buy EVERYTHING from vegan shops as there aren't any totally vegan shops. Even the health food shop I buy from stock non vegan items, e.g. goats cheese, and products containing beeswax, cochineal etc.

You mention shops that stock vegan goods etc.........well Superdrug DO stock VEGAN goods.....which in my mind is a good thing and should be encouraged. The way I look at is it, if we start complaining and boycotting Superdrug they will stop stocking the vegan products they currently stock. They will just see vegans as extreme and that will not do the vegan cause any good at all.
    If you are going to boycott everything unvegan then you should not drive around in buses, cars etc (because of the animal products in tyres), you wouldn't be able to mix with anyone in the world as they are in some way connected with un-vegan things. I think the best way forward is to encourage ALL that is vegan and express our discontent of what is NOT vegan but to stop buying vegan goods from a shop will only be detrimental to the vegan cause.

Quote sandra View Post
    At the moment Superdrug are at least attempting to incorporate vegans into the mainstream. They have numerous vegan products with labelling stating them as being vegan. For this I am thankful. If we start 'boycotting' them they might just take the view that it is too much trouble. Where would that get us................absolutely nowhere.
    I agree, Sandra.

Crusty Rat

Quote sandra View Post
    It really isn't a matter of that...........I do buy vegan products from vegan sites etc but in the real world we can't buy EVERYTHING from vegan shops as there aren't any totally vegan shops. Even the health food shop I buy from stock non vegan items, e.g. goats cheese, and products containing beeswax, cochineal etc.

You mention shops that stock vegan goods etc.........well Superdrug DO stock VEGAN goods.....which in my mind is a good thing and should be encouraged. The way I look at is it, if we start complaining and boycotting Superdrug they will stop stocking the vegan products they currently stock. They will just see vegans as extreme and that will not do the vegan cause any good at all.
    If you are going to boycott everything unvegan then you should not drive around in buses, cars etc (because of the animal products in tyres), you wouldn't be able to mix with anyone in the world as they are in some way connected with un-vegan things. I think the best way forward is to encourage ALL that is vegan and express our discontent of what is NOT vegan but to stop buying vegan goods from a shop will only be detrimental to the vegan cause.
    To me, that sounds like the "veganish" principle or the idea preached by PETA and alike that if an ingredient's far down enough on a list it doesn't exist. But if you buy something containing animal products/supporting animal testing, you're giving the thumbs up to the whole of that product - if you care, but not enough to stop buying a product, then there's no reason the company should care enough to change it. If they started losing their business to a more ethical shop, however, they might buck up their ideas.

I don't own a car and haven't yet had to purchase car tyres or anything which I am aware is not vegan. If I need to buy something, I thoroughly research its ingredients first, even if that means waiting for a response before I buy any kind of art materials, because it's important to me. However, I acknowledge that I own some items which were probably not ethically produced - electrical goods, for example, which were most likely produced abroad in sweatshop conditions from unsustainable materials. If I can obtain these kinds of items through methods which do not involve paying for them, I do.

I guess the way I can most easily summarise my beliefs is through the ol' definiton of veganism:
    Veganism is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose
    It's not an all-or-nothing thing, and I understand that different people will have different ideas about what is possible and practical for them.

As for getting veganism into "the mainstream" - well, vegetarianism's "mainstream" and now chickens are vegetables. I don't think labelling a product as vegan when the money's going to animal testing sends out the right message at all.

I've gotta agree with Crusty Rat, buying 'vegan' products from superdrug is just like buying a 'vegan' meal from KFC or McDonalds. Even if the individual item isn't produced in methods that you are against, you're still funding the company, and ultimately animal testing - which surely as a vegan is something you'd like to avoid. Don't get me wrong, it's good that they are moving towards more ethical products but a lot of this thread seems to be praising them for how wonderful they are and how everyone should shop there, when they are still lightyears away from being anywhere near vegan as an organisation.

I was never under the impression that Superdrug was a vegan company. They obviously feel that being BUAV approved was a good business move. But as Sandra said, it is almost impossible to buy everything from a vegan-owned business. I buy from Superdrug because I'm a student who hasn't got alot of money, and also they have the only vegan nail varnish remover and dry shampoo that I've ever found. The world is imperfect and I think its important to encourage companies to cater for vegans. I know alot of these big companies aren't ethical, and I try not to buy from them unless I have to, but often cost and availability issues give me little choice.
    Houmous atá ann!

The people here who believe that it's wrong to go to superdrug where do you go shopping? I get an organic veg box but they also sell meat, so I'm supporting a company that produces meat. I get what I can from the local health food shop. Most of my shopping is done at Sainsbury's, I don't like it but really don't feel I have another option. Where do you go to get the majority of your shopping?

Quote Crusty Rat View Post
    To me, that sounds like the "veganish" principle or the idea preached by PETA and alike that if an ingredient's far down enough on a list it doesn't exist. But if you buy something containing animal products/supporting animal testing, you're giving the thumbs up to the whole of that product - if you care, but not enough to stop buying a product, then there's no reason the company should care enough to change it. If they started losing their business to a more ethical shop, however, they might buck up their ideas.

I don't own a car and haven't yet had to purchase car tyres or anything which I am aware is not vegan. If I need to buy something, I thoroughly research its ingredients first, even if that means waiting for a response before I buy any kind of art materials, because it's important to me. However, I acknowledge that I own some items which were probably not ethically produced - electrical goods, for example, which were most likely produced abroad in sweatshop conditions from unsustainable materials. If I can obtain these kinds of items through methods which do not involve paying for them, I do.

I guess the way I can most easily summarise my beliefs is through the ol' definiton of veganism:

It's not an all-or-nothing thing, and I understand that different people will have different ideas about what is possible and practical for them.

As for getting veganism into "the mainstream" - well, vegetarianism's "mainstream" and now chickens are vegetables. I don't think labelling a product as vegan when the money's going to animal testing sends out the right message at all.

You are completely not getting what I'm saying CR. I NEVER buy anything that has animal ingredients in it, I am a vegan afterall.
    You say you don't have a car.............that's fine, but you surely use public transport occasionally. If so the tyres on the buses contain animal ingredients. I'm not saying this is 'ok' with me, far from it, I'm just pointing out that in order to avoid ALL un-vegan things we would have to stop living in this world as it is today.
    As Mymblesdaughter says, 'Where do you go shopping?' Do you get every single thing you use from vegan stores? I don't think that is possible in this world............if it is please let me know.
    I do not advocate using un-vegan things I am merely pointing out that by not shopping in Superdrug because they are not completely vegan you therefore cannot shop in any store, be it a food shop, furniture shop, newsagents, chemist, etc etc.

There's a difference between a shop that sells non-vegan products and shop that actually funds animal testing for the sake of human vanity imo.

The point is though, that in this world I'm sure a lot of companies put money into animal testing.......it's a sad fact of life, even our taxes go into non vegan activities. I don't agree with Superdrug or any company funding animal experiments but to stop buying vegan products from Superdrug as a protest would be counter-productive.Let them know, by all means that you are against what they are doing and encourage them to continue making and selling their vegan products. If you just stop shopping at Superdrug they will think there isn't a demand for vegan products and just stop selling them. You have to look at the bigger picture here. If you are not buying from any organisation that is non vegan then you are not living in the same world I am. There is some aspect of your life that the non-vegan world encroaches on.............whether you like to admit it or not. As I said before, we would all have to go to a cave and wait to die if we are to avoid everything that isn't 100% vegan. So, as this is sadly the case, I feel that any company that is selling vegan products should be encouraged to continue doing so. We can all of course let them know how we feel about them funding animal experiments but this doesn't mean we have to stop buying their vegan products. We can't be hypocritical about this.............if we needed hospital treatment would we refuse it because the hospital had engaged in animal experiments at some point?

P.S. I would like to reiterate that I am totally against animal experiments, just incase anyone thinks otherwise. Any makeup etc I use are all vegan products and have not been tested on animals. So, I can I be as vain as I like but still have a clear conscience!

In what way do Superdrug fund animal testing for the sake of human vanity?

Crusty Rat

Sandra, I didn't say you bought animal products, I was just pointing out the parallels of your theory with that of PETA. But I disagree with their ideals, it just seems like when vegetarians criticise vegans for not buying "free range" and supporting the "higher welfare standards". Personally, I'm an abolitionist, not a welfarist.

As I said before, just because we can't always shop at 100% vegan shops, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to shop at the MOST vegan place we can find. Like just because I can't get "stock-free" veg, doesn't mean I should eat meat.

For those who asked where I shop, I get an organic UK-only veg box and a standard fruit box from Beanies and all my other groceries from Lembas. I am a student living off ESA and all the food I buy is organic. I occassionally get cosmetics from Lush. I grow vegetables with varying success, I occassionally skip and forage.

For some reason it doesn't mention it on the site, but Unicorn Grocery in Manchester only sells vegan produce, if anyone's interested.

Oh, and Enchantress, don't you think ALL animal testing is for the sake of human vanity? Surely the only way it can be justified is through a belief that humans are superior to other animals?

I notice you haven't fully answered any of my questions CR. Where do you buy other items you need to live? Do you shop at vegan stores to get EVERY item you use in life? I doubt it.
    I am a vegan living in a very un-vegan world, I cannot therefore avoid being around un-vegan people or things.........sad to say.
    Please answer all the other points I raised CR, I would be very interested to hear from you with regard to those.

Crusty Rat

Sorry, I'm quite confused now. :S I find it difficult to read large blocks of text, could you put your questions in bullet points or something please? I didn't realise I'd missed anything.

Just read through my previous posts and pick out the questions.............there are quite a few of them you haven't addressed.

Crusty Rat

Such as...? If you can quote the parts which I haven't addressed, I'll be happy to respond to them, I just thought I'd covered everything.

It should be quite easy for you to pick out even one or two of the questions I've previously asked. I think you should be able to do that CR.

Quote Crusty Rat
    Personally, I'm an abolitionist, not a welfarist...Unicorn Grocery in Manchester only sells vegan produce, if anyone's interested.
    CR, I am also an abolishionist. I agree with you about PETA, and that we should make the most ethical choices possible, but you have to understand that not everyone has access to the same resources as you.
    Houmous atá ann!

I definitely do not agree with animal testing for any purpose, but the way Maitre phrased it made it sound as if Superdrug funded cosmetic testing on animals. Lots of businesses donate some of their profits to charities that, amongst other things, fund animal testing for medical purposes, so I'm not sure why Superdrug is being singled out. I didn't ask the owners of my local health food shop for a comprehensive list of all the charities they donate to or may consider donating to in future before I shopped there, do you think I should have?

Hi CR...
    'Ethical' shops are great (and I'm all for supporting them), but a lot more animals will be saved and helped if good, animal free products also are avaiable in mainstream shops. That won't happen if every vegan and every person supporting ethical choices boycott these stores.

Living as a vegan in a non-vegan world is *never* an all or nothing thing. You can't buy eg. something as simple as a pen and know the details about the comapny who made it, who they support/fund, and how the stock owners spend their money.

Ninetysomething percent of the Western population aren't into veganism, and that goes for those who runs stores and factories as well. Being vegan isn't even - realistically - about avoiding animal products as much as "possible" (not 100%) , because it's always possible to escape into a cave in the Himalayas and only eat local plants... If we don't do that - and we don't - we don't do as much as we can.

If I should research - let alone research properly - the products in the room I'm in right now, let alone the companies who produced them, the stock owners and where their profit go, being vegan would turn into full time job. Imposing such ideals onto others would only mean that lots of them would lose interest in going vegan even before they had started.

As for getting veganism into "the mainstream" - well, vegetarianism's "mainstream" and now chickens are vegetables.
    But that's... neither true, or an argument. ;-) Vegetarianism isn't about eating chicken - and 'vegetarian' isn't really mainstream (in the Western world) either.

Remember that if 20% of the popultion reduce their intake of animal products with, say, 50%, their impact is much more massive than if 2% reduce their intake of animal products with 100%. Therefore, they - in terms of real life measurments, so to speak - are more important than us, simply because there's so many of them out there.

If you open up your phone or computer/screen, or TV - if you have one - or check your furniture, I'm convinced that you don't know which direction the profit earned by all the involved manufacturers (and sub-manufacturers) has taken. You probably listen to music with drums, and the drum skin may be made of something animal derived. Or the strings. And - did you ever check who made the ingredients for whatever medium you store your music/data files on? Probably not. Have you ever bought a CD/DVD/BluRay disc and checked info about the CD/DVD etc factory and it's owners? Probably not. The name of the factory isn't even mentioned on the cover.

For starters, I think the best thing anyone can do to himself/herself is to acknowledge that being vegan in a non-vegan world isn't even close to 'all or nothing'. This will both make life easier - and increase the chance that this person will be as vegan as possible for as long as possible. The animals will be the winners.

Are we off topic now? Probably...

ETA: IMHO This isn't about veganism as such, really... but more about how much we realistically can control, and about the many side effects of everything we do.
    Would, for instance a US Republican buy a computer from a company that sponored the Democrats - or Dennis Kucinich?
    Most of all (still, IMHO), it's about the difference between possible and possible - and about suggesting ideals which are so 'perfect' that many vegans (etc) simply end up not being vegans (etc) anymore).
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Crusty Rat

Quote Blueberries View Post
    CR, I am also an abolishionist. I agree with you about PETA, and that we should make the most ethical choices possible, but you have to understand that not everyone has access to the same resources as you.
    I don't live in Manc, I was just pointing out that vegan shops do exist. I'm glad you agree that we should make the most ethical choices possible.

I'm glad you agree that we should make the most ethical choices possible.
    Everybody agrees in that, CR - at least theoretically.... people just have different interpretations of 'possible' - and also: different views on what's the most ethical choice - even from a vegan perspective.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I agree with that last point, Korn.

Personally my current thinking is that until all shops are vegan I don't think I would buy exclusively from vegan websites etc even if it was possible, though I do like to support them as well. As people have said, the more vegan products are in the high street the more will be bought, and so I am happy to buy them in order to encourage shops to stock them.

In theory I would probably even eat vegan meals in KFC and McD - in practice I don't want to go in them but that's more a matter of squeamishness than principle.

Crusty Rat

Quote Korn View Post

Ethical shops are great, but a lot more animals will be saved and helped if vegan products are avaiable in mainstream shops. That won't happen if every vegan and every person supporting ethical choices boycott these stores.

If more people shopped at ethical shops, there would be more of them. I also don't think "mainstream" shops choose to stock more ethical produce because people ask for it, they bring it it when they notice smaller businesses making a profit from it and they want a slice of the pie (or the whole pie...).

Living as a vegan in a non-vegan world is *never* an all or nothing thing. You can't buy ev something as simple as a pen and know the detail sabout the comapny who bought it, whu they support/fund, and how the stock owners spend their money.
    This is my point. Some things are more difficult than others, but if I know I'm going to need something, I research it in advance. I don't have the option of a vegan bus, so I have to use the mainstream public transport. I rent a house from a bit of a bastard, I could try to squat somewhere but that wouldn't be fair on the two rabbits I support and would make studying much more difficult. I try to be ethical in my choices as far as is possbile and practical for me, living in the non-vegan world that I do.

But that's... neither true, or an argument. ;-) Vegetarianism isn't about eating chicken - and 'vegetarian' isn't really mainstream (in the Western world) either.
    I was just pointing out how messages and movements can become diluted in the effort to make them popular. I already see products labelled as "vegan" in ASDA which contain beeswax.

If you open up your phone or computer/screen, or TV; if you have one, or check your furniture, I'm convinced that you don't know which direction the profit earned by all the involved manufacturers (and sub-manufacturers) has taken. You probably listen to music with drums, and the drum may be made of something animal derived. Or the strings. And - did you ever check who made the ingredients for whatever medium you store your music/data files on? Probably not. Have you ever bought a CD/DVD/BluRay disc and checked info about the CD/DVD etc factory and it's owners? Probably not. The name of the factory isn't even mentioned on the cover.
    I already mentioned electrical goods in an earlier post as something which is particularly difficult to source ethically. This isn't about excluding myself from society, it's about having the least negative/most positive impact I can. I find local vegetarian businesses preferable to multinational meat-sellers and would like to encourage the former and have no interest in investing in the latter.

However...
    Are we off topic now? Probably...
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause such a shitstorm. I merely wanted to share something I'd just discovered. I didn't realise everyone was so opposed to independent shops.

I don't live in Manc, I was just pointing out that vegan shops do exist. I'm glad you agree that we should make the most ethical choices possible.
    I certainly make the most ethical choices possible CR.

If only I had a Unicorn grocery shop in Northern Ireland..............I'd be in there shopping every day. As I don't have one, I would have to make a trip over to Manchester on a weekly basis which I'm afraid to say I couldn't afford to do.

However...
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause such a shitstorm. I merely wanted to share something I'd just discovered. I didn't realise everyone was so opposed to independent shops.
    How long have you been vegan CR?

We aren't opposed to independent shops............given a choice, I shop at vegetarian/vegan shops.............it's just that sadly there aren't that many of them around to shop in. We have only two in Belfast and they aren't even fully vegetarian let alone vegan..........they sell milk, goats cheese and even products with gelatine in them.

I think that's why I'm all in favour of supporting mainstream shops when they at least attempt to cater for us vegans.........if we don't, they will lose interest and that won't help us or the animals.

Crusty Rat

About four years, Sandra. Why do you ask?

I definitely agree that shopping locally is more ethical than travelling massive distances, which is why I use the local veggie shops rather than going to Manc whenever I need groceries! I just thought it was worth mentioning. I went there when I was in Manchester a while back and it was like the heaven of food shops, no slabs of corpse or excretions glaring out at me, not having to check every label, all good quality produce, no white lights and shouting labels... *sigh*

I don't know how everything's got so misunderstood! I felt like everyone was telling me to shop at supermarkets over independent shops!

I'm still not sure how supporting Superdrug helps animals, but if you feel that's the best choice you can make in the situation, fair enough.