Thread: Leamington Spa eateries?

Default Leamington Spa eateries?

I'm going to be in Leamington Spa on Friday the 2nd of April for a gig. Any recommendations for places to eat? I intend spending most of the afternoon exploring as I've never been before so if anyone in the area wants to meet up that would be cool. The gig is Mostly Autumn at The Assembly.

Thanks!
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Default Re: Leamington Spa eateries?

Wildes have a decent chef, and although theres nothing on the menu, he made me up a pretty decent dinner for £10, a baked aubergine ratatouille-type thing, with salad and chips

Burst Juice Bar is good in the afternoon for a snack, they have vegan soup, bagel with veggie sausage, and juice, all very nice.

Gusto Café is a real nice little Italian café where you can get baked potato, with nice fillings, salad and crisps for £5, good for a quick snack in the afternoon.

Pizza express, Ask, and Zizzis are all safe bets for pizzas. Theres quite a few other pizza chains too, I'd say Ask is the nicest. I've been meaning to go to Momenti for a while, as I hear its an independant italian place (next door to our vegan-friendly Gaia shop), that could probably do something quite nice.

There are a gazillion indian restaurants too, the best IMO is the Heart Of India

Rhubarb Rhubarb used to be a vegetarian restaurant, but though not anymore, the chef can make whatever you like, its not cheap though ^^

I've probably forgotten other places that I go, but that should keep you busy! I would meet you for a beer, but I'll be in London that weekend, to see Les Miserables at the theatre! Make sure you take a wonder through Jeffereson Gardens before you leave, they are real nice ^^

We went to burst for bagels yesterday. The owner is helpful and mostly clueful about veganism (his wife is vegan we heard). We found a sandwich shop that will make vegan baps, but humous+salad based and not overly exciting. Pizza express have almost always got an offer on of some description if you google first (often buy one, get one free, or 2 for £10). Gaia are planning to open a cafe, but I think that's someway off. I'm too much of a wimp (have had enough bad experiences to last a lifetime already) to check out any of the other omni places thp mentions.

We'd be up for a meetup / have you to ours and were going to be around, but think have decided to go away for Easter now. Warwick is worth a wander round too if you've time to kill. It's a couple of miles west with regular trains and buses (the towns practically merge into one another - you can alternatively walk along the canal). The castle however is expensive and disgustingly commercial.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thanks THP and Mr F. I'm thinking it's going to be Burst for bagels and juice for lunch and a curry or pizza for dinner.

Enjoy your weekends!
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Gaia are planning to open a cafe, but I think that's someway off.
    ah wow, i didn't know anything about this! Excellent!! I need a new place to become a local !

They're collecting signatures at the moment for people interested in them stocking vegan cake. I'm not sure how pipe-dreamish a cafe is, but they have the space for it in their 'studio'.

Think I'm abandoning the idea of spending all day in Leamington as the weather doesn't seem best suited to wandering around aimlessly all day. I'm going to go up for midafternoon, have a potter around the gardens and probably go to Heart of India for dinner before heading to the gig as all of those places look easy to find and walk to. I'm definitely driving up as the gig finishes at 2300 and the last train is at 2301.

Might be a bit late now but Bath Place Community Venture do just veggie food and often some vegan stuff too. Their prices are really cheap. Although I haven't actually eaten there I did go to a Christmas party they catered for with soup and bread that was v nice.

Quote Simon View Post
    Might be a bit late now but Bath Place Community Venture do just veggie food and often some vegan stuff too. Their prices are really cheap. Although I haven't actually eaten there I did go to a Christmas party they catered for with soup and bread that was v nice.
    That sounds like it could be worth a look next time I'm in Leamington. Now I've discovered how easy it is to get to I'll be going back for more gigs as they have some great shows on at The Assembly. Thanks!

I ended up getting Pizza last night as I was a bit pushed for time after the atrocious weather put paid to my plans to spend the day pottering.

Let us know if you do

I'll be in Leamington on Thursday evening to see Thea Gilmore at The Assembly but it will just be a fleeting visit as I'll drive up after work.

I've just discovered a new (possibly) exciting eatery here in Leam, bit late for you Mr beanstew, but for anyone else who has the good fortune(!) to land in leamington spa for a bit to eat:

"The Magic Pan" @ Zebs Café, open Wednesday to Saturday, 5pm till 10pm, I'm told they serve up a selection of vegan and GF cookies, cakes and the main feature: pancakes, along with a lot of community spirit! Its headed up by george, the guy who works/worked at gaia, and I think his girlfriend, the one responsible for the amazing selection of new vegan cakes that are served in Gaia now!! (If they have the double-decker-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-with-icing-in-the-middle again, I'm having them all!)

I've yet to try this place, but it sounds like a dream come true! I'll report back when i've tried those pancakes.

That'd be the one I mentioned earlier in the thread - good to see they've made it a reality. George still works in Gaia, at least was there on Saturday.

That sounds pretty good. I'll check it out next time in town for a gig.

Just to report back on these pancakes:
    They are yummy indeed, the guys who run it are super friendly, and its definitely worth a visit! Its open on friday evenings only at the moment, so fridays will now be known as Pancakeday, in leamington