Thread: Vegan Pub Lunch

Default Vegan Pub Lunch

Can anyone recommend a pub that does a good vegan pub lunch?

Default Re: Vegan Pub Lunch

Quote veganatheist78 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a pub that does a good vegan pub lunch?
    No.

The Gardeners Arms in Oxford sell food, but I wrote a rather scathing review last week about a recent meal there.

The George in Brighton has received mixed reviews over the years, but seemingly only bad ones at the moment.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thanks. But I meant in London - I should have said!

I would also be very interested to know if you can get a vegan pub lunch in London, other than the traditional baked potato with nothing on it There are a lot of places where you can get a vegan lunch and go to the pub before or after, of course.

I'd love to find a pub lunch in London too. If I came in to some money opening a Vegan Foody Pub would be the first thing I'd do.

Wetherspoons?

That's true, I went in a Wetherspoons pub a while ago that had some kind of curry on the menu that was marked vegan IIRC, but they'd run out - so I ended up having a baked potato I meant to go back to one and try the curry.

I don't count Wetherspoons as a proper pub lunch. At a bare minimum there should be some kind of roast dinner and a burger or two. The food should resemble home cooked food and not just something warmed up. Also it is essential to offer wholemeal buns on these burgers and not just white.

Basically something like the George in Brighton circa 2006. The best food I had there was their roast. Lentil strudel, roast potatoes AND new potatoes... At the same time! You also had stuffing, gravy and a good selection of veg.

I meant something like a Sunday roast. I've had the curry at Wetherspoons and it's ok if there's nothing else around but to be honest it is rather bland for a curry.

I ate at an omin pub in Brighton called the Sussex Yeoman, which is a mintue walk from the train station, and which offers a vegan option and it was really good. It was like a traditional roast with potatoes and vegetables and gravy but the main part of the meal was quinoa stuffed sweet potato with flaked almonds and marmalade. It was really tasty and I liked the combination of traditional Sunday lunch food with a innovative dish. I'd recommend it. I wish there was somewhere in London that offered something similar.

Saf have been touting their Sunday roast lunch - anyone tried that? (I know it's nothing like a pub, sorry for the digression veganatheist.)

Has anyone tried the Saf vegan roast?

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    No.

The Gardeners Arms in Oxford sell food, but I wrote a rather scathing review last week about a recent meal there.
    If you're in Oxford again I can recommend checking out The Royal Blenheim. I went for a meetup with the OxVeg guys and was impressed by the menu. At least half of the options are vegetarian and the staff have a good understanding of veganism and can clearly state what is suitable. I had Enchiladas and they were delicious, generously portioned and good value. They had a tasty home made fruit crumble and Swedish Glace for afters but that might have been a special one-off because of the meet up.

They also serve Westons.
    Last edited by beanstew; Mar 24th, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Oh, I was just going to post about Royal Blenheim. My other half and I were there the same night as beanstew, and it was very yum. The man and I liked it enough that we even went back just this past week. The owners (managers?) Ian and Sarah and absolutely wonderful.

I've never been impressed with the Gardeners Arms. We've been several times and the atmosphere is okay, but the food is quite dull. There is the Magic Cafe, also all vegetarian, but we've had two god-awful experiences there. I'm a bit sad to say that about the only two all-veg places in Oxford, but there are a dozen other places that do vegan food much better.

well I like to go to a carvery if i'm with omni's so that i can just have all the veg (they charge me for a kids meal) and can help yourself and pile on the veg it's lovely.

yuck

Caveries smell *horrible* (at least the ones round here do).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Daffodil View Post
    well I like to go to a carvery if i'm with omni's so that i can just have all the veg (they charge me for a kids meal) and can help yourself and pile on the veg it's lovely.

I tried this once and as soon as I walked in I could smell such a horrible smell and then to get to our table we walked past an animal carcass being carved I swore then that I would never go into a carvery again, but I do understand how difficult it can be if you are with a meat eater.
    May all creatures be well, may they be happy and may they be at peace.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    yuck

Caveries smell *horrible* (at least the ones round here do).
    Even as an omni the smell at carveries used to make my stomach turn.

If you are in Bath The Porter is good, the menu online is out of date as 60% of the food is vegan http://www.theporter.co.uk they also label all vegan wine etc.

This is a Veggie and Vegan pub not just Vegan, the food is very nice and not over priced.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote veganatheist78 View Post
    ate at an omin pub in Brighton called the Sussex Yeoman, which is a mintue walk from the train station, and which offers a vegan option and it was really good.
    Equally close is The Earth & Stars - they do a great vegan Sunday roast as well as other vegan options during the week.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Snaffler View Post
    If you are in Bath The Porter is good, the menu online is out of date as 60% of the food is vegan http://www.theporter.co.uk they also label all vegan wine etc.

This is a Veggie and Vegan pub not just Vegan, the food is very nice and not over priced.
    Yes, that is a nice one

As is this!

Quote Marrers View Post
    Equally close is The Earth & Stars - they do a great vegan Sunday roast as well as other vegan options during the week.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I haven't been to The Earth & Stars, but I must.

I think we may have to conclude that it's easier to find a vegan pub lunch outside London. In Sussex there is also a nice place called the Giant's Rest that Corum and Hemlock know about - it's mentioned in this thread which also has a few more possibilities, but it was a while ago.

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=541775

Quote harpy View Post
    I think we may have to conclude that it's easier to find a vegan pub lunch outside London.
    But is that because we haven't tried to find one in London? (Because we can always find somewhere else to eat and prefer to eat somewhere veggie?)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

^ Yes that is probably true Marrers.

There must be a vegan pub lunch somewhere in London surely. I'm sure someone from another forum mentioned a place to me in North London maybe.

They do a vegan roast dinner at The Gallery Cafe in Bethnal Green on a Sunday and they serve alcohol (but not a pub I know!) Weekend Menu Gallery cafe

That's good to know though.

I'd like a map plotting all the (proper) chip shops where we can get vegan chips! But I'd settle for a few suggestions to begin with!

Yes it could be that, Marrers.

I don't actually go in pubs all that much these days but when I did there didn't seem to be all that many in London that put themselves out much over food generally (apart from the usual curly sandwiches). Now of course there are "gastropubs" - perhaps some of them are vegan-friendly?

ETA a quick search on "vegan gastropub London" reveals one place where a vegan managed to get a meal

http://www.welovelocal.com/en/london...l#review_72647

BlackCats

Ooh thanks Harpy.

the Pembury Tavern in hackney, not far from pogo, they had a vegetarian menu last time I went with vegan options, not much in vegan beers and ciders though as they change frequently
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote fatvegan View Post
    Wetherspoons?
    No no no. I work for them, only the freedom salad and jacket potatos are vegan. On the roast dinner only the carrots and broccoli are vegan friendly. Their veggie roast contains cheese.