Thread: Low GI, no wheat, no gluten, help!!

Unhappy Low GI, no wheat, no gluten, help!!

Don't know if this is in the right thread but I need help with my diet.

I recently did a food diary to help with my IBS. I've discovered that my problems are:

Wheat and gluten: give me awful stomach aches.

High GI carbs (potatoes, white sugar/pasta/rice): Give me an immediate sugar crash and I end up sleeping constantly with no energy.

High acidy foods (apples, too much tomato): stomach aches

I went to Sainsbury's recently and had a good look around, reading labels etc, but I'm having so much trouble with this. I always avoid things like aspartame and palm oil anyway but now that I've taken more away I'm having trouble figuring out what to eat!

Staple foods is the main thing I want to sort out. I have brown rice and quinoa, and also buy soya milk, tofu and agave nectar. I try to buy lots of fruit and veg but it goes bad so quickly.

I really don't know what to do, I can't afford to go see a nutritionist

Default Re: Low GI, no wheat, no gluten, help!!

That's too bad about the IBS but at least you know what's doing it and don't have to eliminate all that many foods. As long as you prepare it from scratch you should have a good choice. I think there are probably other whole grains you can have - millet is gluten-free isn't it? Barley isn't but I think it has less/a different kind from wheat so you may be OK.

Beans and lentils would be good foods for you to have wouldn't they? Low GI and no gluten?

As I don't like cooking I think in your position I would be tempted to make a big bean-and veg stew or "hearty soup" every few days and keep eating that - it would get over your problems of veg not keeping too. Though if you keep fruit and veg in the fridge they are usually good for a few days aren't they?

I'll look into the millet thing.

That's a good idea about the soups. It's packed lunch I wonder about and snacks. At the moment I keep eating raisins lol.

I'm thinking a good look around Holland and Barrett and the Food for Thought store in Guildford would be useful. It would just be handy to get stuff from supermarkets.

It's getting to the point where I can't be bothered to eat

Stuff like hummus and other dips with crudites might be good for lunch? If you're in a real hurry I think you can buy the crudites already cut up in supermarkets, and the hummus of course...You could take soup in a thermos, or buy it and microwave it if you have one of those at work.

Sorry to hear you can't be bothered to eat, I hope you find something that appeals. Is it all gluten that you have problems with do you think, or mainly wheat gluten?

Quote harpy View Post
    Stuff
    Is it all gluten that you have problems with do you think, or mainly wheat gluten?
    I really have no idea how to figure it out, I'm only just starting to understand what gluten is! I find my stomach hurts most of the time but the things I've listed above make it worse.

That sounds rotten, danaeonyx, I hope you manage to sort out something that makes you feel better. You've seen a doc about it have you?

I was just thinking about a friend of mine who was diagnosed with IBS years ago, but after a while it just went away and afterwards she thought she'd probably had some tropical disease that she'd picked up on a trip. You haven't been anywhere exotic lately have you?

Yeah, the doc says it was caused by stress (I have ocd). When I asked what I could do, he said "stop being stressed" But I have noticed some foods set it off.

I wish I'd been somewhere tropical! Lol

Quote danaeonyx View Post
    I'll look into the millet thing.

That's a good idea about the soups. It's packed lunch I wonder about and snacks. At the moment I keep eating raisins lol.
    For lunch I mostly eat salad. lol As there are lots of varieties of salad you can make...and adding quinoa & hemp seeds adds protein, iron and omega fats. Plus you could have pasta salad, you can get pasta made form vegetables or rice/corn in supermarkets.

I'm basically the same, except I can eat potato and tomatoes but only when cooked. Have you tried sweet potato instead? I find it has a different effect than white.

There is "brown" gluten free bread...but I find it vile for sandwiches, only really good as toast, too dip in soup etc.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I only eat low gi food as my body can handle high gi stuff I dont eat bread pototoes rice...... but there is alot i can and do eat just everything other then rice bread noodles... you get the idea.... agave is great (i loves it ) I dont know about gluten but you could just cut out wheat and that would help with you being low gi hope that helps i am here if you want to pick my brain (not in a non vegan way though) its hard when you have to change your eating