Thread: Sad Day Today - Circus comes to NYC

Default Sad Day Today - Circus comes to NYC

Every year, the night before the Barnum and Bailey Circus comes to Madison Square Garden in NYC, the elephants are marched from Queens through the Midtown Tunnel, with Manhattan at the other end of the tunnel. Notice the bull hook (or whatever it is called) in the hands of one of the bastards that is walking beside the poor elephants. My heart hurts so bad.

Click through the photos below:

http://www.1010wins.com/Elephants-in-Midtown/6638145
    Last edited by VeganLu; Mar 23rd, 2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added "click through....".
    All about the animals, Lucia

Default Re: Sad Day Today - Circus comes to NYC

They've done this crap at my university, too. I couldn't stand to watch them marching the elephants around town, but I did go to the arena where the circus was held (which was on campus) to protest. We (as the veg*n club + other activists) held signs and handed out pamphlets. Pissed me off that it was actually ON campus. Have you gone to any protests?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Default Re: Sad Day Today - Circus comes to NYC

ellaminnowpea

Yey for you! Yes. I protested Barnum and Bailey circus and the elephant walk every year until I moved up to the country. I also did anti-fur protesting in Manhattan, plus anti-vivisection as well. One day I was doing some anti-fur protesting, and some bitchy lady who was wearing a fur coat yelled at us to "get a life" and I walked over to her and said "I not only have a life, but I have sex with my husband every night too". Boy, did that feel good.

I still do protesting up here in the country. I live about 40 minutes from Ithaca, New York and it is there that I do the Walk for Farm Animals that is put on by Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY.
    Last edited by VeganLu; Mar 23rd, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    All about the animals, Lucia