Thread: Almond Milk

Question Almond Milk

My sister and I are not too fond of the taste of soy milk, and are thinking of trying almond milk.

Rather than buying it, and risk not liking it, I figured I'd get a vegan opinion or two. Would anyone care to share what they think of it?

Default Re: Almond Milk

I've only tried the chocolate almond milk bought from Trader Joe's, and it is quite the bomb, very terrific tasting.. I plan to sample more of the nut milks soon, as this whet my appetite for them! but do definately try the chocolate almond one, you will probably love it..

There is just something about the taste of soy milk that turns me away.

Thanks alot! I've heard so much about Trader Joe's too, but I've yet to visit there. I am definitely going to have to now.

Seaside

I love almond milk. Its all I drink when I want something other than water or juice. The unsweetened kind is wonderful in mashed potatoes, and leaves no aftertaste like some soymilks can. Though I do like soymilk too.

I tried the vanilla almond milk and I thought it tasted lovely. It was a little too rich for me to drink a glass of it, but it was very nice with cereal.

That is one thing that I miss the most. A nice big bowl of cereal, soaked in nice cold milk. Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome

i love almond milk and you can make it easily with a soya/nut/oat/hemp milk maker.

alternatively, i've heard you can make it at home by whizzing up soaked almonds and water in a blender and letting it steep for a bit? maybe too grainy to drink but might be good on cereal, in baking etc?

I eat cereal with almond milk pretty much every day for breakfast...I love it! Seaside is right: it doesn't leave aftertaste like some soymilks, although I don't mind the aftertaste (I limit my consumption of soy for health reasons). To me, almond milk seems more liquid (less dense) than soymilk. It does taste like almonds, but the flavor is not overwhelming. You can try it in smoothies, in coffee, on cereal, by itself, and in any recipe that you'd like Go ahead and try it!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I just recently tried almond milk and I liked it. I don't dislike soy, but soy adds its own flavor to whatever you put it in. My complaint with almond milk is that I so far have only found it in 32 ounce sizes for about $2.50. I can get 64 ounces of soy milk for the same price.

Blueshark

Quote Seaside
    The unsweetened kind is wonderful in mashed potatoes, and leaves no aftertaste like some soymilks can.
    Thanks for the tip

TRY IT. If you don't like the taste of it in your cereal or whatever, you can always hide it in your foods (like bake with it).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote DancingWillow
    To me, almond milk seems more liquid (less dense) than soymilk. It does taste like almonds, but the flavor is not overwhelming. You can try it in smoothies, in coffee, on cereal, by itself, and in any recipe that you'd like Go ahead and try it!
    I just finished a carton of unsweetened almond milk (vanilla) yesterday. I think it's perfect for smoothies, baking, hot carob/chocolate, ect, but a little too watery for my taste. Maybe the sweetened kind is thicker. I recently tried rice milk for the first time and was in love! It's creamy and nice! I highly recommend it.

Imo, the sweetened kind of almond milk is not thicker than the regular kind. But thanks for reminding me about rice milk! I tried it a while ago and really liked it, but then went back to buying almond milk out of habit. I think I'll buy rice milk again tomorrow or Friday when I go shopping
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I like almond milk but don't drink it. It is twice the proice of soy milk in the equivalent size. Blue Diamond doesn't offer any discount from ordering it in bulk directly from them. Almond milk would be my choice if it were better priced.

You can also try rice milk and oat milk. I use vanilla rice milk in cereal and like it a lot. Sometimes I splurge and buy almond milk. It's really good, too.

Vanilla almond milk is fantastic in chai!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I really like Chocolate and vanilla almond milk, especially chocolate - it is the only way to go, IMO. premade chocolate soymilk tastes like mushrooms.

I bought unsweetened chocolate once though and it was extrememly vile! I just could not drink it, it tasted like salt water. One of the worst things I have ever tasted.

the thing that bugs me most about almond milk, is that there is hardly any protein and they don't fortefy it with calcium and b12. it does have lots of vitamin E though.

Quote Wildflower
    the thing that bugs me most about almond milk, is that there is hardly any protein and they don't fortefy it with calcium and b12. it does have lots of vitamin E though.
    Yeah, that bugs me a lot too!
    ~John Wooden

I use mixture of mixture of Almond Milk+Coconut milk together with various chopped fruits,raisins,figs or use it for smoothie.

Blend all together and strain:-

Thandai-

Almond Milk+Black pepper+Milk of Poppy Seeds+Orange Juice+Rose Water drops+dehusked seeds of water melon+green fennel seeds

Manish Jain

Manish, those combinations sound very interesting! I want to try them! I've saved the recipe, so I can try it when I have all the ingredients.
    ~John Wooden

Yes it is must try.

Please soak Poppy seeds overnight in a bowl to get good and easy milk of it.

It would be better, if you prepare almond milk and poppy milk separately so that to avoid any wastage.

Thanks for the tips. How exactly do you get the milk from poppy seeds?

Also, can you please post approximately how much of each ingredient you put (e.g. Half cup, one tablespoon, etc)
    ~John Wooden

I find soy milk completely horrible. I must have tried at least 20 different brands, sugar/no sugar, malt/no malt, vanilla, choc, berry - I just can't stomach the beany taste. And soy products always gives me a tummy ache.
    Rice milk and oat milk are great though, naturally sweet but not sugary. I heat rice milk with a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg which is oh-so yum.

I'm not a fan of soy milk either. I've always disliked it. I gave up on milk and just have porridge cooked in water. Then, recently, I disovered hazelnut milk (on the recommendation of someone on this site). It's a bit pricey but you can buy it in powdered form and it would work out a lot cheaper. I prefer the liquid kind. It's so nice to have cold cereal again and it's nice in coffee too. I will have to try oat milk. I bet it's cheaper. The brand I buy is called EcoMil. It's organic and is from Germany I think. www.nutriops.com

Quote DancingWillow
    Thanks for the tips. How exactly do you get the milk from poppy seeds?

Also, can you please post approximately how much of each ingredient you put (e.g. Half cup, one tablespoon, etc)

Well, Poppy seeds milk can be made by repeated grinding-straining of over night soaked poppy seeds.

Well 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup poppy seeds milk/coconut milk, 1/4 cup orange juice, rest you can use according to self judgement. I am not much in cooking.

Manish

Thank you
    ~John Wooden

forthebirds

I'm trying Chocolate Almond Milk for the first time and really like it. Trader Joe's used to have Strawberry Soy Milk that I was crazy about, but they haven't been able to tell me if they discontinued it or not. I hope not! It reminds me of Strawberry Quik I had as a kid and I cannot find any other Strawberry "milks".

For my cereal, I prefer to use Rice milk. Since I eat so much soy in general, I switched and think I prefer the taste of it in cereals, over plain soy milk.

i LOVE almond milk! i make my own, which can be a fun and fulfilling experience. it can be more expensive, depending on what kind of almonds you buy (shelled, organic, etc.) but it's definitely fun! i wish i could make my own almond milk right now but i'm in spain without a blender and all the almonds here are rancid! no lies!

Grrnola you could buy a handblender that shouldn't cost too much. Also I can't believe ALL the almonds in Madrid are rancid

I make almond milk as often as soy milk and it only requires a blender or food processor and cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer. Here's my basic recipe:

Basic Almond Milk
    1 cup whole raw almonds - soak for 4 to 8 hours
    2 to 3 dates - soak for up to 2 hours depending on dryness
    2 1/2 cups water

Blend the almonds, dates and half the water at high speed until the almonds are very finely ground (1 to 2 minutes depending on your machine). Add the rest of the water. Now strain through a fine mesh strainer or layers of cheese cloth or a sprout bag. Shake before using.

You may also add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or almond extract if desired. You may also use different sweeteners or no sweetener. Decreasing the amount of water will give you almond cream.

It's really easy and very economical if you buy almonds in bulk. Also, you can half or double the recipe to suit your use.

Enjoy!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Yum, sounds good.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Diane Vegan,

Just one change I would add, if we peel almonds before making peel, we do not require to strain it. Blend until it becomes smooth white milk.

Manish

Good point, Manish.

If I make almond cream for a soup base I don't usually strain it. And if you want the almonds to be suitable for a raw dish (or just want an easier way to peel them) then you can easily slip them out of their skins after they've soaked awhile - as blanching to remove the skins will mean the almonds are not "raw" anymore. I always peel mine because I think sometimes the skins may give a slightly bitter taste. Of course I haven't tested this theory because I always peel them.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Chilly

Quote Steph View Post
    I've only tried the chocolate almond milk bought from Trader Joe's, and it is quite the bomb, very terrific tasting.. I plan to sample more of the nut milks soon, as this whet my appetite for them! but do definately try the chocolate almond one, you will probably love it..
    Ohh, that sounds great, I did not know they have a Chocolate almond milk. There is a trader joe's right down the road from me. Ive been vegan for almost 6 months now, starting to really adjust, its great

Windfall

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=5581

I really like this recipe, I make it all the time =)

Quote Wildflower View Post
    I really like Chocolate and vanilla almond milk, especially chocolate - it is the only way to go, IMO. premade chocolate soymilk tastes like mushrooms.

I bought unsweetened chocolate once though and it was extrememly vile! I just could not drink it, it tasted like salt water. One of the worst things I have ever tasted.

I looove almond milk but from looking at the nutrition label and the ingredients I get the idea that it is a lot of sugar water and a little almonds. Milks are usually 1/4 nuts to 1 cup water. I should think that 1/4 cup almonds would have more that 1 gram protein!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

StarShine

Quote cedarblue View Post
    alternatively, i've heard you can make it at home by whizzing up soaked almonds and water in a blender and letting it steep for a bit?
    Here's my way of making almond milk:

1. Put a 1 part almonds to 4 parts of water in a tight container (ex 1 cup of almonds and 4 cups of water depending how much you wanna make)
    2. Store in the fridge for a day.
    3. Pour contents into a blender and blend until smooth
    4. Stain the blended liquid through a cheese cloth or alternative cloth

And there you go. You don't get much more fresh then that! Just remember to strain the pulp or it will be too lumpy and thick to drink. You can dry out the pulp and sprinkle it on food too.

Chocolate almond milk is really good, but i also love chocolate soymilk and find it to have more nutrients and protein. Almond milk is good but it has a lot of sugar.

Quote StarShine View Post
    Here's my way of making almond milk:

1. Put a 1 part almonds to 4 parts of water in a tight container (ex 1 cup of almonds and 4 cups of water depending how much you wanna make)
    2. Store in the fridge for a day.
    3. Pour contents into a blender and blend until smooth
    4. Stain the blended liquid through a cheese cloth or alternative cloth

And there you go. You don't get much more fresh then that! Just remember to strain the pulp or it will be too lumpy and thick to drink. You can dry out the pulp and sprinkle it on food too.

thanks for that!

I've been drinking the Blue Diamond (unsweetened, enriched, original) Almond Breeze for about 3 weeks now, have gotten used to the taste and I love it. It is a bit pricey at over $6 a half gallon, so I thought I'd try my hand at making it at home. I just got done with it and I have to say, "Woo hoo!" Now I just have to see if I can find a bulk supplier of almonds (preferably organic) so I can make the homemade stuff oodles cheaper than the store bought stuff.

Any suggestions for suppliers of cheap bulk almonds?
    ~Brian J. Stafford~
    "The world is often ugly... but Jesus is always beautiful."

patientia

I made it once, many years ago, but it was too watery. I guess I could try 1 cup of almonds and 1 cup of water.

Almond milk is super amazing!!!

I just made almond milk for the first time today. Unfortunately I don't have any cheese cloth, just a strainer, so it's still got a few small pieces of almond in it I find a 1:3 ratio of almonds to water is good. Makes it a bit thicker The taste was very boring so I added some Nestle strawberry syrup to it Delicious. Might add a bit of sugar to the rest of the milk. Now I can start eating cereal again

patientia

I started making it again. I don't have a good blender, so there's a lot of pulp. But almond milk is amazing. I soak 200g of almonds over night in the fridge, get 300g of soaked almonds, blend with 800g of water and strain through a gauze (I have no idea what's the difference between a gauze and a cheescloth). I just ad a bit of a sweetener and drink it by itself, it's too tasty to be mixed with anything else.

I didn't add any sweetener to mine. That's why I added the syrup. Tastes awesome, I wish it wasn't such a hassle, and so expensive to make

patientia

How long does it stay edible in the fridge? Can I freeze it?

patientia

Yuck! I think I drank sour almond milk!

Quote patientia View Post
    How long does it stay edible in the fridge? Can I freeze it?
    I think only a couple of hours...

Quote patientia View Post
    Yuck! I think I drank sour almond milk!
    Likely Mine doesn't last too long either. About 2 or 3 days. I only make small amounts at a time.

patientia

Mine is more than a week old Maybe I should make almond yoghurt