Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

Default Re: Cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

This says:

"You spoke to us and we listened. We’ve not only improved the flavour of the marinated tofu pieces, they're now also organic. Earlier this year, we re-launched our hugely popular marinated tofu pieces but many of you told us that the new product was not as flavoursome as its predecessor. To be honest, we mucked this up and we're sorry. There's a big push by the government to reduce levels of salt in food products for the good of the nation's health, an important ambition which we wholeheartedly support. The problem is, when you take salt out you also take away flavour and we got the balance wrong with the reformulation of the new product. Nevertheless, we reckon we’ve managed to improve the flavour whilst still meeting the government’s standards for salt content.

So this month, look out for the márinated tofu pieces with a light seasoning and the organic guarantee once again."

Apparently Zero was right about salt reduction being the motivation. Now all they've got to do is go back to making it in the UK!

Yippee!

I actually like the new marinated tofu. I was dreading it after reading this thread but by the time it's mixed in with a load of veg and sauce in a stir-fry I can't tell the difference at all. As for the plain I didn't like the old stuff anyway and much prefer clear spot.

cobweb

ugh I had the marinated pieces the other day, they were horrible!. Really bad aftertaste aswell.

I've been sticking to the Taifun one, which is organic and made in Europe, but I suppose I will try the re-reformulated marinated chunks when I see them...nice they took a bit of notice of comments/plummeting sales/whatever.

i reckon it was plummeting sales in my sainsburys it was hard to get the old marinated stuff seems everyone was buying it now the new stuff is always there and always on offer reduced prices ect and it still full no one still buys it even on offer, cant believe how wrong they got it but hey least they listened

Great news harpy, thanks for letting us know. We should all email them with feedback when we try the new version, while asking for more vegan friendly items in the rest of their range and expressing dismay about the honey in the falafels many supermarkets are stocking (there is a contact link at the bottom of their announcement page, link in harpy's post 101). It might make them realise the size of the market they are missing out on.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

so i was thinking other day when i read this about them changing it again how will we know its the newest one will it say new new improved recipe ??

Default Re: cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ??????

Quote harpy View Post
    That good eh? I might have to go on a quest for some to try; perhaps I can combine it with my hot cross bun quest.
    Marks and Spencers do lovely vegan hot cross buns!

Not all their hot cross buns are vegan though so make sure to check the label.
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    so i was thinking other day when i read this about them changing it again how will we know its the newest one will it say new new improved recipe ??
    Yes, or perhaps "new improved recipe - no really, we were just kidding last time"

The fact that the new stuff is organic might be a more reliable indicator

ETA yes thanks, rianaelf, we found some of the vegan M&S hot cross buns and they were vg. In fact I think I still have some in the freezer but they don't seem too seasonal now...

Default Re: cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

didnt want to start a new thread but i was in asda other day and took a look at the tofu it said lightly spiced ? thought i dont remember it saying that last time didnt buy any but then today i went in sainsburys and saw it said same looked at it looked lighter coloured than that other stuff so i bought some i think its the new new recipe cause i liked it has anyone else tried it since

I made a stir fry with the new tofu last night and it tasted so horrible I had to check the sell by date on the packet to see if it had gone off !

I was honestly worried I might poison my son and mys elf if we ate it but I had already mixed it with the other ingredients and it was well within the sell by date so we ate it anyway and we're still here today so I guess it wasn't poisonous it just tasted like it !!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk