Thread: Noodle machine

Default Noodle machine

I can't find this device mentioned elsewhere on this forum so I'll post this information in the hope that it's new to you! Raw foodies will probably be aware of this already.

I bought a 'noodle machine' from these people. It's neither a machine, nor does it make noodles. It's a device where you get a solid vegetable or fruit (a potato, carrot, apple etc), put it on a spike and then turn the handle. The food is turned into a toothed blade (there are different thicknesses) and out come continuous strings of that item. There's also a straight blade for continuous slices.

It is well made and extremely simple. It's quite expensive, some might say outrageous, at £45 but actually, you'll have £45's worth of fun. The carrot, for instance, is wonderful just forked up and eaten in this way.

BTW, it's on Amazon at £85, which is a total rip-off, but at least you get to see a picture. The parts are worth around £5.

For people wishing to avoid actual noodles or spaghetti, maybe to avoid the gluten, then processing a potato through this machine will replace them and, of course, the potato cooks ultra fast.

It's also possible to process root vegetable which might otherwise be too tough as the product of the machine is very fine.

We haven't finished experimenting yet but that's part of the fun, thinking of ideas. It makes you want to eat more raw food or try different stir-frys etc.

The only thing to beware of is losing the nutritional value of food being so finely sliced, especially vitamin C and of course veggies exposed to the air like this can discolour.

I would do potatoes into a bowl of cold water which would prevent discolouration and leach off most of the starch.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Noodle machine

I have one of these! It's called a spiralizer. I got mine for about £25 on ebay, but have seen them advertised for that elsewhere.

My kids love it! WE make coleslaw this way, or add cucumber to salads like it. Sweet potato "noodles" are also a favourite. It is a really good way to get kids to eat veg!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Hi Bunny. What do you use it for in your coleslaw and how? Any ideas welcome. Julie made a carrot and banana cake last night and 'noodled' the carrots for it!

I've got a couple of sweet potatoes I intend to experiment on.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

mine was called a spirooli, around £25 a few years ago from the fresh network i think - again i use it for raw veg pasta etc.

I just noodled the carrots and cabbage and onions and whacked a load of mayola in it. Some veg are easier than others to put through it, but I like the look of it all!

Cucumber looks especially groovy!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

You can get manual ones for less than £5.

Quote DavidT View Post
    I bought a 'noodle machine' from these people. It's neither a machine, nor does it make noodles.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote fiamma View Post
    You can get manual ones for less than £5.
    Mine's a 'manual' one, despite the price. Where can you get them for a fiver, fiamma?