Thread: Vegan Croydon

Default Vegan Croydon

I'm thinking about going to Croydon for the day, I'm not sure why, maybe it's because I haven't been mugged or run over by a tram in a while.

Anyway, can anyone suggest what there is in Croydon that might be of veganly interest?

Default Re: Vegan Croydon

My preferred option for lunch is Doughmasters where I get a hot aubergine and spinach wrap. Just make sure you tell them to use clean utensils and prep paper for your wrap.

You could eat at Pizza Express (5-10 minutes walk from central Croydon towards South Croydon) or Wagamama.

The Skylark (also 5-10 minutes walk from main centre) is a large Wetherspoons pub but some think it a bit rough (I think it's okay) and I've not eaten there so can't vouch for the food.

Croydon also has chains like Zizzi (again 5 minutes walk from main centre) and Nandos which you may know of vegan options at. I've never been.

There is an independent health food shop called Oasis. They do hot soups and hot Clive's pies at lunchtime and there is a Shakeaway and a Holland & Barrett in the Whitgift shopping centre.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.

eta There is also The Museum of Croydon which is small (but free!) and might be worth a look if you have time and are interested in that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 12th, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: to add museum info
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Is Oasis the one by the flyover? If so they do lots if ice creams in the summer which is useful if we get any hot weather.

Yes, that's it. They have a buddhist centre and shop next door.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Cool, It was a few years ago that I visited it so it's good to know that it's still open.

We went today, went to Holland & Barrett and 'The Julian Graves Experience' in the Whitgift centre. Also went to shakeaway, they'd run out of soya milk but someone ran out to get us some while we waited.

There's a Lush on the main highstreet that we also visited.

Tried to visit the Oasis shop you mentioned but it was closed Sundays. Fortunately we'd got some quite nice stuff from the H&B.

We were going to eat at Nando's but asked about vegan food and the guy went off and came back with some cards that listed the allergens for each menu item. We went through them and none were suitable. Now that I'm home I can see on the website that the veggie burger is ok without the mayonnaise - shame the staff aren't told that (the allergen info doesn't list the mayonnaise separately).

Anyway, that was the first time I've been to Croydon other than passing through in about a decade. I might give it another go in 2020.

I didn't realise you were going to come on a Sunday or I would have said about Oasis being closed. (I always assume smaller shops like that might be closed on Sundays, Doughmasters would also have been closed.)

And I forgot to mention Lush and Julian Graves.

I never know what to have at places like Nandos or Zilli's - I never actually plan to go there so never check and then when it's the only option it's too late to try to find where I read they did vegan stuff. Where did you eat in the end or didn't you?

Just went home in the end and ate when we got back. Might give Nando's another go some day soon depending on how good the response to the email I sent them is.