Thread: What would become of domesticated animals?

mollylaurel

Question What would become of domesticated animals?

If everybody were to go vegan, what would happen to all the animals? We might lose many species'? There would be no more cows, or sheep, or piggies.... I would miss them. That's not to say I disagree with veganism, I'm all for it, but I'm interested in the long-term consequences of promoting such practices.

Default Re: What would become of domesticated animals...?

Hi mollylaurel - Welcome. My own perspective is that the "long-term consequences of promoting such practices" would be a gradual reduction in number of animals who are artificially bred to be slaughtered and who live short, unnatural lives which end in pain, distress and panic. In my view, that's more important than whether I like seeing fields full of pigs or cows. Your views and priorities may differ, and that's fine.

There are breeds of cattle, for example, which have been so artificially interbred to meet the profit margin demands of animal farming they cannot feed and move about independently without physical problems or reproduce without human intervention. If demand fell,these strains would probably not be produced any more. When I research the physical problems caused to the animals by this kind of excessive inbreeding, I don't feel it would be a bad thing for it to stop. Again, your mileage may vary.

Have you been to any of the animal sanctuaries where there are animals who have been rescued from the abbatoirs, and who live out their lives in the sanctuary? Some of their rescue stories might be of interest to you if you're thinking about the conditions in which farmed animals really exist. Hillside's not too far from you, I think?

http://www.hillside.org.uk/

Hello. If you search the forum you'll find there are some threads about this already, such as this one (the most relevant messages are towards the end of the thread)

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26182

patientia

I care more about individuals than about biodiversity. Numerous species are dying out each year anyway. Humans made a huge mistake by domesticating animal species, now they have an obligation to take care of members of those species, but the best they can do is not to breed any more.

Well due to the land no longer required for them to be grown and domesticated due to farming, there would be ample space left for them to roam fee as they used to do. Only a smaller portion of land being farmed would be required for edible vegetation etc. They'd be all fine.

Quote patientia View Post
    I care more about individuals than about biodiversity. Numerous species are dying out each year anyway. Humans made a huge mistake by domesticating animal species, now they have an obligation to take care of members of those species, but the best they can do is not to breed any more.
    This ^

Quote mollylaurel View Post
    If everybody were to go vegan, what would happen to all the animals? We might lose many species'? There would be no more cows, or sheep, or piggies.... I would miss them. That's not to say I disagree with veganism, I'm all for it, but I'm interested in the long-term consequences of promoting such practices.
    The domestic animals being used are not a representative of their species. There are still wild cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, goats, etc. As long as we don't kill all of the wild animals we won't be losing any species when the last generation of domestic animals dies.

It's not only some domestic animals interbred to be more profitable, it's all of them. They were bred to lay ten times the eggs or grow three times as fast or have disproportionately large wings/breasts/thighs/jowls or whatever. Some of the direct ancestors of modern domestic animals are already extinct, but that has been done. We cannot change the past.

There are no long term consequences of a vegan world. What you should be asking about are the long term consequences of continually creating new animals specifically designed to be more efficiently exploited for our pleasure and convenience. There can only be positive results from positive actions.
    Veganism is the application of the abolitionist principle to the life of the individual. It is not an option; it is essential. — Gary Francione

I know this thread is older, but I thought I would still put my 2 cents in:

There are such things as wild pigs, cows, chickens, etc. Many of the "food" animals have been created just for food purposes. They naturally didn't exist in nature. If everyone went vegan, what a wonderful world that would be. I think a lot of the animals that we "created" for food purposes would slowly disappear because they weren't designed to live in a natural setting - they would for sure die a peaceful death.

Just think...living in a vegan world we would most likely not have major issues with cancer, heart disease and diabetes...to just name a few.

Say the western world automatically went vegan over night. The farm animals would be left to die naturally, a process that could take 20 - odd years. But how could a species that numbers billions suddenly become extinct? What would happen is authentic, idealogical, old fashioned "farms" would crop up, much like today's zoos. or maybe some people would keep these animals what we think are so ubiquitous as pets? If the become that rare they will be interesting again!

Also, about the pet trade - I don't agree with breeding and buying pets, as there are currently so many unwated pets in the world. Also, you would have to breed and slaughter animals to feed cats which doesn't make sense! It can't be vegan so would have to stop in a vegan world. But there are enough wild cats in the world, they wouldn't be extincted.

Cornish

I completely agree with Ruby Rose:

"Welcome. My own perspective is that the "long-term consequences of promoting such practices" would be a gradual reduction in number of animals who are artificially bred to be slaughtered and who live short, unnatural lives which end in pain, distress and panic. In my view, that's more important than whether I like seeing fields full of pigs or cows. Your views and priorities may differ, and that's fine.

There are breeds of cattle, for example, which have been so artificially interbred to meet the profit margin demands of animal farming they cannot feed and move about independently without physical problems or reproduce without human intervention. If demand fell,these strains would probably not be produced any more. When I research the physical problems caused to the animals by this kind of excessive inbreeding, I don't feel it would be a bad thing for it to stop. Again, your mileage may vary."
    In addition to this; as much as I would like it to I personal doubt that a vegan world will ever truly exist, one of the reasons why I am a vegetarian (coming vegan) is that I believe that the amount of meat that is consumed in the world should be reduced so that the number of creatures raised in poor conditions can be reduced (hopefully to zero) however I believe that a consider number of people will still desire animal flesh therefore the common cow, chicken and pig is unlikely to become extinct.

Assuming for a moment that a vegan world is possible people at present keep 'farm' animals, especially 'rare breeds' as pets or for pleasure therefore there is no reason for those who have the means not to continue this into a vegan world; I personal have in the past kept chickens, ducks and horses purely because I enjoy them. A large number of farms are already find that it is far more profitable to open to the public creating a 'Dairyland' type amusement park, that is not to say that the majority of them are not also working farms however it is possible for them to keep animals that they would not otherwise have kept purely for the publics entertainment as a result of their new found income.
    Furthermore species such as Highland Cattle have proven to be an integral part of the conservation of certain habitat areas, an example being grazed Cornish cliffs for the re-introduction of the Cornish Chough - http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=14166 therefore their are environmental benefits for the keeping of farming animals.
    All in all as a result of these factors I bought that healthy animals will become extinct.

Moving on from farm animals to household pets and zoo animals. I have been thinking a lot about this recently, the problem that a large number of household pets and zoo animals eat meat therefore what are we to do? Scrap zoos and pets, keep farms for the production of meat for these animals?
    Personal I am not sure.

I do not have a dog at present, I had one before I moved into an apartment and had to give her to my mother, my father has a wolfdog and my sister (a veggie) has five agility dogs. My old dog eats dog food, the wolfdog eats meat from the butchers and my sister's eat a mixture of raw vegetables and chicken wings, all of which would of course would be a problem in a vegan world. Some animals eat meat it is just a fact of life so I am not sure what I would suggest in a vegan world senario, I do know however that as soon as I move into suitable accommodation I am going to get (hopefully rescue) a Samoyed who will probably eat homemade dog food.