Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soy / soya milk favorites?

Default Soy / soya milk favorites?

What is your preference? I really enjoy Silk's chocolate soymilk, but the original tastes odd. I am not a fan of Edensoy either. Is there anything wrong with 8th Continent? I liked their vanilla flavor.

Yes, it's not vegan. 8th Continent uses vitamin D3. It is the only non-vegan plant-based milk that I know of.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I keep hearing about Silk, I'd like to try it but they don't have it here. I like Aussie Soy, So Natural, and Vitasoy in that order. Sanitarium's So Good goes lumpy in tea.

8th continent also has all sorts of addatives and stuff. even if they were vegan, i wouldn't call their soy milk the best. i'm a fan of silk. especially silk light, now that they have that. silk nog is so freaking good, too.

The three brands you mention, Miel Miette, are my favourites but in reverse order. I wouldn't drink So Good if you paid me - just reading the ingredients listing shows that it is a chemical cocktail. As to Silk, I don't believe it is here in Australia, but when I was in the US a few months ago, that's what I used, and it was great.
    Eve

Vitasoy Lush Chocolate is the best of all! The rest still stands for my plain soy choices though.

hmm I think I'll need to have a taste-testing powwow! Pity about the 8th Continent...I read the label and must have missed the D3. Bah. Rice milk is bit too sweet I find. Maybe I'll try Westsoy. I have a container of So Nice...hopefully it's not the same as So Good!

WestSoy organic unsweetened - ing:filtered water and whole organic soybeans. it's very good and surprisingly less expensive than other brands. never tried the flavored ones..........

I like Silk but I buy So Nice because it's cheaper per litre (odd though, the 2 litre carton is the same price...but I can't drink 2 litres of soy milk in a week).

Is it just me, or does soy milk go bad really quick? When you first open it, it's nice and smooth but by the end of the week, it develops a strong "thick" texture and overly sweet taste (sweet but not in a "good" sweet way).

If I buy soya milk its usually the Alpro Sweetened + calcium + vitamins.

I keep hearing about this Silk. I wish they sold it here in UK, but I usually buy Alpro Organic. That's what I make my yoghurt with too.

Vitasoy Chocolate is my preference.

It has a more "chocolatey" taste than silk and I never notice it going lumpy on me.

I'm also a huge fan of Almond Breeze's chocolate flavour.

My favorite is the Silk Unsweetened. I used to find the soymilks way too sweet and was so happy when they came out with an unsweetened version. Soybeans have a natural sweetness anyway.

As for other non-dairy milks, ultimate favorite (thanks to Artichoke) is the Almond Breeze chocolate. It's scrumptious.

Quote Tigerlily
    I like Silk but I buy So Nice because it's cheaper per litre (odd though, the 2 litre carton is the same price...but I can't drink 2 litres of soy milk in a week).

Is it just me, or does soy milk go bad really quick? When you first open it, it's nice and smooth but by the end of the week, it develops a strong "thick" texture and overly sweet taste (sweet but not in a "good" sweet way).
    It could just be your personal preference.

I hardly ever follow the "use within 5 days of opening" rule. I hope that's not dangerous

For me, that's another advantage of using non-dairy milk. It doesn't go off or sour like dairy does.

If I use dairy replacements, I like rice dream enriched or Vitasoy rice milk.

Maybe you need to shake it better?
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Are you talking to me? Yeah, maybe I will try to shake it better.

Quote gertvegan
    If I buy soya milk its usually the Alpro Sweetened + calcium + vitamins.
    they sell that here in the US under the name Belsoy - Belsoy Chocolate is the best chocolate I have ever had - mmm...soooo yum!

Otherwise, I buy Silk, they sell it everywhere here and it is gooood.

Quote Tigerlily
    Are you talking to me? Yeah, maybe I will try to shake it better.

If you buy the aseptic cartons, they tend to get thicker when refridgerated. Shaking helps.

Default Re: Soymilk Brands

I just dicovered soy sun vanilla soy milk - I got it in a kosher supermarket today and my boyfriend and I made a yummy smoothie from it. It is the only soymilk that I like - you can't taste the soyishness I love kosher supermarkets - they sell the best vegan stuff

Sorry not a fan of the expensive brands its the taste I think, this is going to seem odd from ethical point but the only one I like is the ASDA Organic @ 65p a litre and if I cant get that I buy the tesco own brand at 65p.

But I do like the Alpro choc shake
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I've found it's the most expensive soymilk brands that taste the best. The Alpro stuff that you can buy chilled is absolutely delicious. When my dad does the shopping he always buys supermarket's own brand soymilk which I hate! I make porridge with it but I have to add two tablespoons of sugar for it to taste good. Tonight I'm going to try to make my own. I don't have a special gadget but hopefully I'll end up with something better than Sainsbury's Soya UHT

Talking Re: Soymilk Brands

its wierd, maybe cause i grew up on edensoy, but everyone says they like silk, and its really gross to me!!!

i dont get that...its got the same things in it.
    i think edensoy is a little thicker though.

i do agree that soybeans are already sweet, and soymilks do not need sweeteners. some people i know say they only drink vanilla soymilk!!! ick!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Talking Re: Soymilk Brands

Quote Roxy
    I hardly ever follow the "use within 5 days of opening" rule. I hope that's not dangerous
    nope, youll just get soy yougurt!

(but dont eat it if its green or fuzzy!)
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

LittleNellColumbia

Hello everyone! yes i have to say i hate sogood..........it just tastes off! lol
    I really like somilky lite from the vitasoy range, its good for celiacs if your reading this foxy, because it is formulated especially without wheat/gluten etc. Im not sure if it is available in Canada though?

My favorite soy milk is chocolate "So Nice", I find the others are either too grainy or too sweet
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

I agree with Snaffler - Asda organic (although sometimes it can be lumpy, and also the plastic opening lid bit tends to seperate from the cardboard of the carton)

I like my soya milk to be just beans and water.

Quote Rob(QG)
    I agree with Snaffler - Asda organic (although sometimes it can be lumpy, and also the plastic opening lid bit tends to seperate from the cardboard of the carton)

I like my soya milk to be just beans and water.
    Thats right Rob so many of the premium brands have some additives that do not need to be added, the ASDA organic goes in stages but as a whole if you shake it well it's great.

I always decant my cartons into a glass jug with lid and leave in the fridge, much niced and icy cold in no time. Give it go then no worries of the carton trouble.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I was reading up on the ingredients of the different Vitasoy products and was surprised to find that there were additives in some of them (colours 133, 155, 171 and 407).

133 Brilliant Blue - hypertension in children or people with any allergy history
    171 titanium dioxide - is used in white paint and toothpaste
    407 is carrageenan - has carcinogenic potential
    155 Brown HT - affects asthma, skin rash & aspirin sensitives

I don't wish to scare anyone out there but it is a good idea to know what you are drinking/eating

I recently tried their Lush Vanilla and it is delicious, it doesn't even taste like soymilk!
    I have gone through about 10 different brands so far hehe

LJ

Tanya71

Smile Re: Soymilk Brands

I like the 8th continent light original - I think it tastes good. Its the only one I drink; my husband even drinks it and he's no vegan! Though I must admit I am not a total vegan either. The original light has only 2 carbs and 1.5g fat - which are things we watch. It has the same calcium content as milk, but it also has Vitamin B12. I haven't tried any of the other varieties of the 8th continent. My only complaint is that it is probably one of the most expensive brands....

Default Soy milk favorites?

Hi, I'm new here but I'd love to know what brand of soymilk everyone favors? I was told to watch out for carrageenan and the only brand I've found to be without is VitaSoy.

Default Re: Soy milk favorites?

What's wrong with carrageenan? It's from seaweed, it's vegan.

My favourite brand is So Nice, followed by Silk. I found VitaSoy to taste like chemicals.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I thought the same thing about carrageenan too. I forgot what the sales associate at the market said (I was in a hurry)...

I also dislike the taste of VitaSoy. I'll be sure to check out So Nice. Thanks!

I like Silk. The chocolate is vegan crack.

I found this about carrageenan:

Carrageenan, by the way, is a seaweed extract. This particular type of seaweed is common in the Atlantic Ocean near Britain, Continental Europe and North America. You boil the seaweed to extract the carrageenan. In that sense, carrageenan is completely "natural" -- it's not much different from tomato paste in its creation.
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/question315.htm

Another site but it's biased, I think:
    http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA44833/
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yeah, one of my vegan friends told me that she trys to avoid Silk as much as possible because the carrageenan might cause cancer. But I really hate the brands that don't contain it (like WestSoy), so I just drink Silk all the time.

Quote Juice
    I like Silk. The chocolate is vegan crack.
    Hells yeah it is! I never liked chocolate cow's milk at all, but chocolate silk is just... wow.

Default Re: Soy / soya milk favorites?

The brands I like the taste of are:
    Asda Organic (65p)
    Morrisons Unsweetened (65p)
    Granose Organic (~70p - 99p)
    Granose Unsweetened (~70p - 99p)

They all taste the same to me, and are probably all made by Granose.
    The differences are that the non-organic ones have calcium and vitamins - I've switched to these for the b12 and calcium. I wish they made an organic one with vitamins

Alpro soya milk from the chiller cabinet. I love it on porridge, it's so sweet and creamy. Oh, and their chocolate version is heaven. I can only find the chocolate one in Tesco, and guess where they put it - right next to the plain one! How can I possibly resist?
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Oh no, I don't believe. I've not long come back from Tesco and they have discontinued my favourite Alpro Chocolate Soya Milk How could they??? Just when I was raving on about it aswell. I am so dissappointed. Not fair not fair

I'm a girl on a mission now. Must find chocolate milkshake
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Pilaf

I just had some Silk plain in a bowl of oats with a sliced banana.

Good stuff.

"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!" haha could not resist.

I used to love Silk Strawberry (blend it with some bananas for a fast smoothy) but they quit making it.

My favorite soy milk is Eden Soy. It is fairly cheap where I live since the headquarters is basically just down the road from where I live. I also know a lot of the farms that grow their soy beans, and I like to support local farmers whenever possible.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States (which I can't wait to immigrate from!!!)

My favorite is Silk Unsweetened Soymilk--the BEST by far (in my opinion)!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends."
    -George Bernard Shaw

I like the Alpro chilled too... much nicer than anything I have found so far, but still not keen on it in tea/coffee. ALthough I am trying to get used to black tea/coffee at the moment. The coffee is fine, but tea is a struggle...

As a note, I was reading somewhere the other day that vitamin supplements cannot be organic, which is why organic brands are not allowed to enrich their products. I was quite annoyed as I buy as much organic as I can, but for the sake of my children getting their vitamins, may have to revert back to non-organic for the enrichment. . This is especially a pain with cereal as that is such a good source of getting stuff into them.

I like most soymilks okay but my very favorite is Soy Dream. I've never tasted another brand that compares in flavor.

Blazin_Gwen

Silk, I love silk.

Yst

I used to like Silk. But I've come to MUCH prefer locally produced Chinese soy milk over the major commercial brands.

I find the obviously fake "thick" texture of the commercial brands, with their Carageenan or equivalent, quite unpleasant. The local Chinese brands contain no texturing agent to make them gooey, and I greatly prefer their natural consistency. Just Soy, Water and Sugar. That's all. If I need to get supplements, I can take them separately. I don't need to drink them in my soy milk. And I don't need a chemical to make my Soy Milk thick as paint. It's completely beyond me why that's even desirable to anyone.

VeganJohn

Alpro (plain and chocloate) has got to my favourite, although a strawberry flavoured soya milk in a small carton (can't for the life of me remember the name!!) was gorgeous.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States (which I can't wait to immigrate from!!!)

Does Alpro have any cane sugar (or cane-derivatives) added? I hope not, because I don't consume anything that does. I hope I didn't put that rudely...

By the way, (just out of curiosity) which country in the UK is Geordieland?
    -George Bernard Shaw

Bunny--

Hi! By the way, some of my oldest ancestors come from County Kent! Do you enjoy it there? Sorry this is totally off the soy milk topic!
    -George Bernard Shaw

VeganJohn

I do not know about the cane sugar, although I will check the packaging. Actually, I only have Morrsions (Uk supermarket) own make in at the minute, very cheap but my least favourite.

Geordieland is actually a slang name for Newcastle Upon Tyne, a city in Tyne and Wear, in the North East of England. The inhabitants of Newcastle and surrounding areas are known as Geordies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie

I live about 10 miles away in a seaside village but am still classed as a Geordie.

We are supposedly the toughest people in the UK, althoug I seriously let the side down lol