Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meal plans

Default Meal plans

Hi I'm planning to change back to being vegan over the next few months but I need to come up with some kind of food plan - basically, the problem is that my husband and four children all eat meat, dairy, etc. and I'll be the only one who isn't.

I think that over time their diet may change slightly with a little meat, etc. but I'm not pressuring anyone into changing their diet because what they eat is their choice as much as my diet is my choice

That gives me a big problem - I'm going to end up cooking 3 different meals every night! (And no doubt, 3 different lunches, etc. too) Last time I tried having a vegan diet since I met my hubby I gave up partly because it's my meal I cook last and some nights I was just too knackered to bother and it was easier to fit in with everyone else.

Basically, the idea I've come up with is to do a bit of batch cooking - ie. cook meaty shepherd's pies, lasagne, pies, etc. and freeze them in portions and to cook up a load of vegan versions and freeze them in portions. If I can set aside a day a week for batch cooking, in theory that should provide most of the food for the week for everyone. Does that sound feasible? Where this day a week will miraculously come from I have no idea! I don't have any time as it is but I'll try to find it from somewhere.

What I'm looking for is ideas for freezable meals - here's what I have so far:

Lentil Shepherd's pie
    Lentil bolognese sauce
    Spicy bean stew (& vegan dumplings?)
    Some kind of bean-based lasagne (need a vegan alternative for the cheese sauce though)
    Vegetable hotpot (excellent recipe - I'll post it soon)

All other ideas appreciated

Louise

PinkFluffyCloud

Lots of soup, too! Cook a huge pot full, and either freeze it or chill it and warm up in portions each day.
    Or tell your family to eat what you eat - how about the choice of the animals???????????

You don't need to cook 3 seperate meals. Just cook one vegan meal and have meat/cheese to the side as something that's added as a condiment. I've done it this way for ages and it really works out well. I eat what I want. My family eats what they want and no one feels pressured either way.

Just something to think about also in your plan forumlations.

I think the batch cooking is a brilliant idea, though, make no mistake. I think people need to use their deepfreeze more often because it is quite handy and very adaptable. I'm just now learning this, myself (about using my deepfreeze more) and I love it. If I'm remembering right, spaghetti sauce will freeze well and so will bean chili. Veggie soup will also but don't put potatoes in it because potatoes don't freeze well for some odd reason.

I batch cook my work lunches so I can have a hot meal mid day.
    My favourites are:
    lentil & vegetable curry
    lentil & vegetable stew
    bean chilli

As for cooking family meals don't make it hard on yourself.
    For a roast dinner just substitute a nut roast inplace of the meat. For other meals try making soya mince or vegan bolognese. They won't even notice most of time.
    Maybe try being a bit sneaky and get them used to these vegan meals before you come out.

I don't have any children so it's easy for me to talk but I would probably make a vegan meal as a default and say that if they want anything else the other members of the family can get it themselves. (As a compromise you could have the other stuff in the fridge so they just have to fetch it.) People will often take the line of least resistance, especially if the vegan food is tasty.

My other half isn't vegan but he's quite happy to eat (and cook) exclusively vegan food at home - he has come to the conclusion that it's better for him, as well as for the animals.

As regards what you could freeze, most casserole type dishes seem to keep OK in the freezer, even if you include things like barley. It's obviously better if you limit the amount of liquid - you can add more when you heat it.

Good luck

Thanks for the excellent replies I can't believe how fussy everyone is in our house! I think over time it'll gradually change to a more vegan household in general, especially as the kids begin to eat more in the way of lentils, etc. and risotto is fairly safe for everyone.

I know I do make my life more difficult by trying to please everyone when I should probably just tell them it's tough really but I'mk usually one to keep the peace so it's kind of easier

Thanks for the tips about the potatoes not freezing well and the liquid, etc. - I was thinking of doing shepherd's pies, etc. complete with mashed potato and then freezing them ready to just pop in the oven - does anyone know if mashed potato freezes well??? I can just see me doing a lovely first batch of stuff and ending up with gloop Still, trial and error I guess

I have frozen leftover shepherd's pie with mashed potato and it was edible. I don't use the freezer that much though so let's hope you get advice from someone who does.

I suppose you could make the pie minus the potato and arrange slices of bread over the top before you put it in the oven - what's that called, hot-pot? Anyway, it's nice as a change from the potato topping.

Why doesn't your family want to eat vegan food? They can eat their dead animal food elsewhere and keep it out of your home.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

julieruble

Kiva Dancer, your idea makes me think of fajitas. My family usually has tacos/tortillas with all the fixings in separate bowls.

sometimes people need to compromise and shouldnt need, or be made, to feel bad about it.

It's a tricky one isn't it. I think, if I'd been a vegan for some time when I met my husband it would be a bit different but as we were both meat eaters when we met, started living together, etc. it seems rather bad of me to suddenly begin imposing rules which never existed before.

I can see both sides of the argument really
    Last edited by Snow Moon's Child; Jan 23rd, 2005 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Why can't he cook himself?

I'm just asking questions, not trying to make anyone "feel bad," by the way.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

It's understandable how a family could have an arrangement for who does the cooking. Sometimes it's just a matter of time. I'd say, make sure that you make really great vegan meals for yourself while you make the family healthy meals with a moderate (or minimal) amount of meat.

Yeah, he can cook for himself (and he does) but I'm the main "chef" because I adore cooking and just because it's how it works best for us. I think I'll have to plan it all out a bit more than I do now but I guess over time it'll get easier. I'm thinking of doing a couple of vegan meals a week for everyone to eat (that way I can gradually get them eating more and more different vegan meals) and then most other nights to either have something ready-made out of the freezer or something which can be adapted easily (eg. jacket spuds with various fillings). It just all seems a bit daunting and complicated at the moment but still, worth it

I would say, don't let your vegan diet be a change which generates animosity. Make them their food but put extra effort into making great vegan foods that they will want to eat. Say, vegan cookies or cake for dessert for starters. And maybe for their meals you can explore international dishes which are not meat-centered or do no use as much meat. That way, often you can make the meal vegetarian and then add flesh.

Snow Moons Child - when my omnivore boyfriend moved in with me, he had a hard time dealing with the transition to a more plant based diet - now he loves it His diet used to comprise of chicken curry with white rice, buttery salami and cheese toasted sandwiches (on white bread) and spaghetti (white) bolognaise. Now his diet consists of dhal and brown rice with salad, vegetable stir-fries, butterbean and herb cream soup, kenyan dengu (to name a few dishes) and a lot of fresh and dried fruit and nuts - he loves peanuts and raisin mix. He still has full cream cows milk, cheese and the occassional meat on the side (which he cooks himself). He never eats white bread or white pasta or white rice. He doesn't like it anymore.

My advice is to introduce things slowly, and don't label things as 'vegan' or 'non-vegan' - when something is labelled specifically as 'vegan', people automatically develop an aversion to it (so I have found). I agree with not forcing your family to adopt your diet/lifestyle - it should be their choice. But if you are the cook, then find things that they like and eventually they will adjuct to having less meat and more beans/wholegrains/vegetables. If they want a little bit of meat or cheese with it, let them have it - but like Kiva Dancer said, there is no need to cook separately.

And the idea of vegan fun foods is also great. My boyfriend loves vegan cake and cookies and ice cream

Well, I treated myself to a vegan cookbook yesterday which has a gorgeous looking piece of chocolate cake on the cover so I've left that laying around in full view of the kids Also, my son (10) flicked through it and remembered when he used to have soya milk (due to eczema/asthma) and said how much he loved it and can't wait to have it again - blimey!

I agree about a fairly relaxed approach and not labelling foods. I think people instantly see vegan food as "going without" rather than an alternative. I've been dishing up a few vegan dishes for years but I don't suppose people ever think of them as being vegan as such. Strange isn't it.

Thanks for all the replies

Louise < 6 days till the baby's due ... hurry up, hurry up!

Quote Snow Moon's Child
    Well, I treated myself to a vegan cookbook yesterday which has a gorgeous looking piece of chocolate cake on the cover so I've left that laying around in full view of the kids

By any chance is that book Easy Vegan Cooking, by Leah Leneman? I have that book

Yeah, it is There's a few wierd recipes in there that I won't be trying (banana risotto?! banana and spaghetti?! Have you tried those?) but for the most part the recipes look really good. I'm planning on making that chocolate cake later on today - it's taunted me enough from the cover

coney

Do you have to cook meat and dairy every meal for your family? could you have veggie nights? Like make a cheese-less, meatless lasagne, or vegetable stew, or pasta with no meat? Seems like there are limitless possiblities that you could come up with that would satisfy your families' needs and yours.

Lots of fake meats out there and dried burger mixes. You could make vegan meatballs that would fool even the most picky meat eater. Just depends on how you spice up TVP, or TSP. I sucessully made sausage patties the other morning that were really close the the fake ones I buy in the store. TVP is cheap and has a very mild flavor, so you can put just about anything in it. I made a good shepherd's pie last night with vegan burgers, mushroom/onion gravy and veggies.

My suggestion is to just start making veggie based meals, and cut down to serving meat 3-4 days a week, see if they notice.

VegWeb.com is a great place to look if you haven't already. the VeggieBoards.com has a "Family" thread area, lots of moms there discuss what to do about this very thing you're talking about.

banana that is hilarious. steev's favorite food is chicken curry lol. if i lived there i do believe our boyfriends would get along great! LOL.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Snow Moon's Child
    Yeah, it is There's a few wierd recipes in there that I won't be trying (banana risotto?! banana and spaghetti?! Have you tried those?) but for the most part the recipes look really good. I'm planning on making that chocolate cake later on today - it's taunted me enough from the cover
    No I haven't (and wouldn't) try them
    As for baking cake - I will never do it. I am an unco when it comes to baking. Good luck

Quote foxytina_69
    banana that is hilarious. steev's favorite food is chicken curry lol. if i lived there i do believe our boyfriends would get along great! LOL.
    It seems that every aspect of our lives is so similar that it scares me sometimes

Default Re: trying to make a plan

you could make two "vegandays" a week, where you'd cook the same for the whole family - healthy, delicious vegan food. then you could have one day a week, where one or two of the kids cooked - then they'd learn about cooking, and you could just eat one of your frozen vegan dishes, and relax. that would make four days a week, where you had to cook two or three different meals - and you could make something like spicey pancakes (vegan of course) with two kinds of filling - one vegan, one not-vegan and maybe a salad. then you could make a soupday, where you'd just bake some bread (maybe make 3 every time, and them freeze them) and make something nice like potatosoup, and maybe a salad - everyone loves that!. and then you slowly would make your family feel comfy about eating vegan food most of the time, so at last they could eat meat when they wanted it badly enough to cook it. vegan food is just as tasty and healthy as a "normal" diet - and you'd wanna share the love and compassion for animals and life with your kids, right? teach them how to make a nice vegan stew, a veggie curry, potatopancakes, how to bake a bread. and if you include your kids in the cooking, they will probably be so proud about cooking it that they'll eat it no matter what.

and the sparetime you'd get from not cooking all the time, you could use to tell your kids stories, take them on a nice picnic in the woods, help them with their homework.

Default Re: trying to make a plan

or maybe you could just ask your husband to cook twice a week, and then he could cook whatever he likes, but just serve them nice vegan food the rest of the weeks?

Talking meal plan

so.. I went out shopping today, and thought i'd try something new. so I made meal-plan.

this is what it looks like:

monday: pancakes with fillings made with mince (vegan meat-substitute) and veggies.
    tuesday: miso soup with tofu, spring onions and other goodies.
    Wednesday: vegan soupkitchen
    Thursday: filled butterdough-thingys with potato, onion and spring onion. a salad
    Friday: thinking of making sushi haven't tried that before. anyone with experience?

soo.. what are you gonna eat this week?

Default Re: meal plan

This is my dinner meal plan starting from 14/09/2006:

Wednesday:
    Tofu and Vegetable in Barbeque Sauce - Recipe from Vegan Cooking For One

Thursday: Italian Rice and Butterbean and Potato - Recipe from Vegan Cooking For One.

Friday: Brown Lentil Bake - Recipe from Vegan Feasts

Saturday: Stir Fried Chinese Vegetables and Steamed Rice - Vegan Feasts

That is just the names, as I can't be bothered to get my recipe books out to see what are in them.

I actually should buy more food for more days, but I haven't yet decided if I am going to or not.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

You guys are so good for being able to make a meal plan. I can't make it work for me, because I can never decide what I want to eat, so far in advance.

I agree with roxy - I just eat whatever I fancy - it usually works out. When I go shopping I tend to get food for what I want that night, some sensible things that I could invisionmyself making meals from and then loads of random stuff that doesn't quite fit but i like the looks of. I've always got tonnes of ingredients in to play around with.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I am so impressed with you meal planners!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

making a meal plan is easier and cheaper if you are on a budget as shopping in one go can keep the the cost down instead of shopping every day when you tend to add 'little extras' which hike up the cost.

also if you are working and doing family running around dinner is already thought of and shopped for.

although i agree, sometimes i have come to prep dinner and dont really fancy what i have planned.

...plus i dont want to be shopping every day...

I guess I do a bit of each.

I do a big shop once a fortnight and pick up any little bits and pieces (bread, soy milk etc) as I need them.

I mainly buy all sorts of different things, that can be made into different dishes, depending on what we feel like.

So in a way, I guess I do pre-plan what we're going to have, buy the type of ingredients that I buy......but I don't do a plan by actually writing down that on Monday we'll have this, and Tuesday that, etc etc.

We rarely eat together anyway.....so it's more convenient for us to throw together whatever we feel like at the time.

I think it's what works best for each individual and their given situation.

pavotrouge

This thread reminds me of sticking more to my plans again... I started planning out meals when I realized I enjoy grocery shopping waaaaaaaaay to much, concerning money and the fact that a lot of food turned bad. Plus, it saves you time and nerves not to have to think about what to cook each and every day.

I don't make a strict plan, this on Monday, this on Tuesday etc. but write down a number of dishes (because I'm working full-time and also have to plan what to take to work). and then decide what I feel like eating ;-)
    I always buy things once a week, mostly Fridays or Saturdays.

Starting today, this week there will be:
    -Chickpea soup with a lot of veggies (dunno where I got the recipe)

-Sobameshi (a Japanese dish with noodles, rice, mixed veggies and TVP as a meat substitute)

-veggie burgers, home made, with lentil patties

-Rice with Tomatoes, leeks and carrots (Turkish recipe)

-Mashed potatoes and chickpea gravy (Vegan with a vengeance ;-) + mushrooms of some sort

- Sunflower stuffed Mushrooms (vegweb)

- Bok choi + mushrooms with rice (yeah right, I got a whole kilo of organic mushrooms for 1€ at the market today ;-)

-sushi (inari zushi and cucumber-wasabi-maki, my favs)

-Spaghetti with mushrooms, carrots, onions, peppers and olives (from a Spanish vegan forum)

What I always do spontaneously is baking, salads, sweet stuff and so on...

Quote Roxy View Post
    I guess I do a bit of each.

I do a big shop once a fortnight and pick up any little bits and pieces (bread, soy milk etc) as I need them.

I mainly buy all sorts of different things, that can be made into different dishes, depending on what we feel like.

So in a way, I guess I do pre-plan what we're going to have, buy the type of ingredients that I buy......but I don't do a plan by actually writing down that on Monday we'll have this, and Tuesday that, etc etc.

We rarely eat together anyway.....so it's more convenient for us to throw together whatever we feel like at the time.

I think it's what works best for each individual and their given situation.
    Same way.

Sometimes I know I want potato soup or something this week, so I'll get the right ingredients but I don't really plan it out.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I don't always have the thing I've planned on the day I've planned it, I just like to plan the meals I'm going to have in the week so that I can buy all the ingrediants I need.

Default Meal Planners

Hey All

So I'm on vacation and really busy, and I was wondering if anybody knew of a pre-set meal planner, maybe one that was a week long.
    All of the ones I have found so far seem to be for people who are doing the veg thing as a diet, because a banana and a tbl spoon of pb is NOT breakfast for me!
    I am just looking for something that is pretty simple and already planned out, so all I have to do is run (or send someone else) to the grocery every day or two.
    Any help would be super appreciated.

Thx!

Default Re: Meal Planners

Hi lulu,
    I downloaded this from the PETA website a while ago - can't find the link anymore but this was what they suggested for a wek's eating. I think it was PETA anyway. Hope it helps, it might give you some ideas anyway.

Edit: here's a link I found on the site for some vegan menus.

MONDAY

Breakfast
    Wholemeal toast & peanut butter
    Cereal with soya milk
    Piece of fruit
    Lunch
    Vegetable pasty & mixed salad
    Piece of fruit
    Muesli
    Dinner
    Spaghetti veganese topped with grated soya cheese
    Fresh fruit salad

TUESDAY

Breakfast
    Large bowl of porridge with soya milk and added fruit, nuts & blackstrap molasses
    Lunch
    Baked beans on wholemeal toast
    Fresh fruit salad
    Dinner
    Nut roast, potatoes, broccoli, carrots & peas
    Apple pie & soya cream

WEDNESDAY

Breakfast
    Wholemeal toast with tahini & yeast extract
    Fruit
    Lunch
    Bread rolls filled with salad & vegetable p&#226;t&#233;
    Packet of crisps
    Fresh fruit salad
    Dinner
    Shepherdless pie with a selection of veg
    Sorbet or soya cheese & crackers

THURSDAY

Breakfast
    Porridge with soya milk and added fruit, nuts and blackstrap molasses
    Wholemeal toast & yeast extract (eg marmite or vecon)
    Lunch
    Sandwiches with humous & salad
    Vegan yoghurt
    Dinner
    Vegetable curry with rice & poppadoms
    Sliced mango with soya cream

FRIDAY

Breakfast
    Wholemeal toast with fried mushrooms, fresh sliced tomatoes & baked beans
    Lunch
    Baguette with soya cheese, pickle & salad
    Slice of home made cake
    Dinner
    Vegetable stir-fry with tofu, veg and rice noodles or brown rice
    Fresh fruit salad with soya dessert
    Last edited by fiamma; Oct 16th, 2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: link found

ambs

Default whats you're normal eating plan?

it might seem like a stupid question to ask but i'm just curious..

normally for breakfast i'll have; a small piece of toasted rye with avocado, or a small bowel of porridge, or a small bowl of muesli with vanilla soy yogurt
    with a cup of coffee.

then normally i go to work all day and come home and have a small cooked meal, mostly it's tofu or veggie sausages with veggies or home made pumpkin soup or a salad.

and a cup of tea at night.

sometimes i'll have a piece of fruit for a snack.

today is a different story; as a dont have work till 5 tonight.
    so i had 2 coffee's and piece of toasted rye, a whole bag of grapes :S and 600 ml bottle of water.
    cause i had so many grapes, i'm skipping my meal..

anyway, what are your thoughts/normal eating plans?
    this is my first thread on this site.

Default Re: whats you're normal eating plan?

I tend to eat a lot and I am always hungry, so I try to at least eat as healthily as I can.

For breakfast I have a medium bowl of cereal with soya milk - I try to pick one that is not too sugary

For lunch I usually have a small cooked meal, probably left overs from the night before!

In the evenings I tend to eat pasta, rice, curries, chilli etc. Lots of veggies and I eat soya products a few times a week. I try to keep my meals fairly low fat.

During the day I snack on lots of fruit and drink lots of sugar-free squash.

I do have a weakness for biscuits and sweet things so try not to have them in the house otherwise I will pig out!

eeek, you don't seem to eat alot at all ambs ! I do hope I'm not being bang out of order but I have to say I find it quite worrying that you use the word 'small' quite alot, and that because you've had grapes today you're going to skip your meal. Toast, grapes and coffee are not going to give you the nutrients you need

Quote scarlett View Post
    eeek, you don't seem to eat alot at all ambs ! I do hope I'm not being bang out of order but I have to say I find it quite worrying that you use the word 'small' quite alot, and that because you've had grapes today you're going to skip your meal. Toast, grapes and coffee are not going to give you the nutrients you need
    i agree.

do you not take food to work as well?

cobweb

my 'plan' is just to eat what i want really. That's why i visit the gym every day now!

fruit, to me, is a 'free' snack, i wouldn't count fruit or veggies as 'worrying' calorie wise because they are so low calorie and nutrient dense.

I eat whatever I want as long as it's not bad for me. I try to put things like Kale and Collard greens into my diet as much as I can.

I eat tons of bread....mmmmm

I agree you don't seem to eat much! You def shouldn't skip a meal cuz you have eaten grapes . . . they are so good for you and quite low cal.

Today I have eaten/plan to eat:

Breakfast: smoothie made from strawberries, pineapple and water. organic snack bar.

Lunch: bagel with low fat houmous, tomato and cucumber. and a soya yogurt.

Dinner: lentil curry with rice

I generally eat like this, usually have a smoothie for breakfast, houmous with toast for lunch (am a bit addicted!) and for dinner I eat pasta, rice, etc with soya mince or some other form of protien in a sauce.

sugarmouse

Quote scarlett View Post
    I am more concerned that Ambs eats 'bowels'

Quite franky Ambs I do not know how you survive on such a miniscule amount of food not to mention certain nutrient deficiency if you continue like this!!!
    I can't even see that you are eating half of what a man or woman should consume a day even when on a stringent diet. You don't have enough variety to stay well nourished and I'm surprised you don't faint whilst at work.
    Silent but deadly :p

I also think you are missing on balance as well as eating too little.

A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast: Fruit

Lunch: Rice, veggies, beans (LOTS!!)

Dinner: Rice or pasta, veggies, more beans, or I'll cook something like a casserole, mexican, etc.

Snacks: Fruit, crackers, nuts, veggies with hummus, etc.

I often eat like this:

B: bar of some sort (larabar, luna bar, etc) with tea

S: some sort of fresh or dried fruit

L: usually leftovers from dinner (today i had lasagna, but i take leftover stir fries, soup, risotto, etc)

D: some sort of cooked dinner, tonight I am making udon noodles with steamed kale tossed with soy sauce/toasted sesame oil with sesame seeds, perhaps with some steamed broccoli. if i'm in a rush i'll eat mashed avocado on toast, or toasted pita with tahini and fruit, or something similar.

S: if I eat another snack, its usually another bar or more fruit (or sometimes a cupcake or something)
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

hey ambs.

Have u seen this thread?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

ambs

as some of you have commented that i dont seem to eat enough, i eat what i can handle and too the point of satisfaction and not over filling myself.
    it's just the way i am, and i am healthy.
    but thanks for your concern

and after my grapes, i went to work and had a bowl of trail mix (dried friut w/ raw nuts) never had before, and i'm now in love.

i'm thinking of going orangic.. is anyone else organic?
    it may be more expensive but i've noticed that the food is much better tasting.