Hi everyone. I'm new here, though I've lurked on and off since I became vegan 2 years ago. Please forgive the long post. I'm doing some research for which I could use a little help from others, and I thought this might be a good place to get some.

I'm the creator of www.breathingearth.net , which simulates the CO2 emissions of all countries.

It's relatively popular, and I get thousands of visitors a day from all over the world, so I think it's a great opportunity to help people make educated and commited decisions about lessening their carbon footprint.

I'm just about to add a feature where you can click on any country and a popup will appear with 1 or 2 climate change websites that are relevant to that country. If my visitors are shocked by what they see, I want to be able to send them somewhere that'll help them make positive changes to their lifestyle. The thing is, I now have to find 1 or 2 really good websites for as many countries as I can, which is a big task!

There are plenty of 'green' websites out there, but in my experience, few of them are good. A lot of them just repeat what everyone already knows (recycle, ride a bike, etc). Others de-emphasise personal responsibility and just get you to sign petitions so someone else can fix the problem. Many others gloss over the big issues, especially the huge environmental cost of animal products. A prominent environmental NGO in my country (Australia) urges people to eat 1(!) vegetarian meal a week. So, so lame - it makes me angry.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for useful, informative, honest climate change websites from all sorts of different countries. I'm particularly interested in websites from non-English-speaking countries, in case any of you are bilingual.

Optimally, I'd like each website to meet the following criteria:

1. Is a good quality site with a professional look-and-feel, a wide range of topics, and good ease of use.
  2. Contains many practical tips for reducing one's eco footprint. Not just easy stuff, but also bigger things (go veg*n, drastically reduce air travel, etc.)
  3. Aims to educate and inspire, rather than profit (eg. no sites that are just about selling carbon offseting or a particular brand of green products). Independent, reputable, NGO sites are preferable
  4. Contains relevant local content and is in the official language(s) of the country in question

Please post suggestions if you have them and tell me what country/countries they're for. By the way, I know there's an environment-themed forum here, but it seems all but dead.

Thanks!