Thread: Vegan 'cure' for osteoarthritis??

Default Vegan 'cure' for osteoarthritis??

Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows what foods are good for helping to deal with arthritis in my knee. I have seen a dvd about this but it costs £20 and not sure exactly what is on it.
    Thanks
    May all creatures be well, may they be happy and may they be at peace.

Default Re: Vegan 'cure' for osteoarthritis??

The only thing that helps mine is exercising every day. I even exercise my thumbs with hand exercisers and the pain is gone. Its hereditary in my family to get it late 30's and I've had it for 10 years or so.
    I haven't found any food that helps, even 100% raw vegan diet over a long period didn't help.
    You can buy vegan glucosamine supplements but to be honest keeping your weight right down and exercise is the only thing I've found that alleviates the problems. Even putting on an extra stone makes my knees go.
    Silent but deadly :p

This summarises research into osteoarthritis and diet and basically there doesn't seem to be much evidence, so I would save your 20 squid VeganGran!

http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/o...iet_and_OA.htm

It does mention about weight. Hemlock, I wonder why exercise helps as you'd think it might wear out the joints more? Maybe having better muscles takes some strain off the joints?
    Last edited by harpy; May 11th, 2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: slip of the brain

It was something I found out purely by accident Harpy.

I was on the verge of having to give up my job as a podiatrist because I could no longer grip the surgical instruments. However, after 6 months of using a hand exerciser to relieve the stiffness I found that building up muscle round the affected joints almost totally relieves the pain along with a weight loss diet. I've lost 2 stone and have 2 more to go.

I think the muscle supports the damaged joints. I don't need to give up work now but I have to keep active every day.
    Silent but deadly :p

Thanks for the info. and advice, harpy and Hemlock. I know in my case I need to lose weight, I have always had a problem with this and since I hurt my knee last December I have been on either a walking stick or crutches ever since, which means I have not been able to do any exercise at all. I had a knee op. end of March but that hasnt helped at all.

Thanks again
    May all creatures be well, may they be happy and may they be at peace.

Quote VeganGran View Post
    I have not been able to do any exercise at all. I had a knee op. end of March but that hasnt helped at all.
    Sorry, I don't know why I wrote "osteoporosis" instead of "osteoarthritis" - will correct.

Sorry to hear about your knee problems VeganGran - I wonder if you could try something like aquaerobics or whatever they're called, or even just swimming, which mightn't put too much strain on your joints?

Personally I am OK with walking, and I should do more of it, but running or jogging is right out of the question because both my knees protest immediately.