Thread: Calais

Default Calais

So I just got my new passport and was thinking of doing a day trip to Calais to break it in as there are £1 return tickets about.

What is there to see/do there though? I don't want to spend a lot and we don't smoke/drink so not going for the cheap fags and booze. I saw a similar thread on MSE from someone that didn't smoke or drink and they were told that it was worth going for the cheese and pate .

Default Re: Calais

Ferry spotting?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Calais

It's a while since I've been but I think the town was an OK place to hang out for a few hours. I see they have got some sort of photo exhibition about the environment on at the moment according to the municipal website. Then there's "The Burghers of Calais" of course.

I think there were one or two buildings of interest even though most of it was flattened during the war.

Re shopping they also have nice food in French supermarkets, you eat that don't you? ETA leaving aside non-vegan stuff they often have vegetable pates and things like that in jars, as well as fresh vegetables and fruit that are often more interesting than ours. The health food dept of French supermarkets can be quite interesting as well. Also if you like herb tea they usually have a better range than we can get - I like tilleul/menthe. I don't know whether the tourist-oriented hypermarkets near Calais have the same stuff though.