Thread: B12 deficiency and Depo Provera?

Default B12 deficiency and Depo Provera?

Hello all! :smile:

I'm new to the forum (and a 3-week vegan!) and was just reading around about B12 deficiency on here which made me think of a question. (I tried searching for a similar thread, but was unable to find one. )

Does anyone know how the Depo Provera birth control shot effects your B12 intake? I've been contemplating going off it for a little while, and this may make my decision. And I've also read that it is not vegan...?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! <33

Default Re: B12 deficiency and Depo Provera?

Hi Keyja,

I just googled Depo Provera and found this: http://www.birth-control-comparison.info/bcdepo.htm. Depo Provera seems to have a lot of potential side effects, and if it isn't vegan either, I'd just try to find something else...

http://www.steadyhealth.com/how_soon...048_st10.html:
    ...I did some research on the B-12 shot and diet and found out that Depo neglects you of the B12 and B6 vitamins that is why you always feel drained all the time.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanks for the links Korn. I've been on Depo for about a year or so, and my next shot will be next week. I think it will be my last one.

Hi Keyja, I have been on more contraception than you can shake a stick at (mostly because everything causes depression and a sore chest!). I went on Depo once for only 12 weeks as I got fed up of being on Dianette and no family planning clinics ever having any handy. Did you notice anything different when you went on it? Now I am on nothing and feeling so much better but I am strongly considering an IUD, I assume these are vegan friendly? Maybe a daft question but you never know...

When I went on Depo, I did notice weight gain (most likely because I ate a lot of cheese!), but other than that, I loved it. I'll be switching back to normal birth control the next time I go in to my doctors appointment. Oh yeah, and since going vegan, I lost all of that Depo weight. Hehe.

And here's a link for you on IUD in case you need some info: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...l/iud-4245.htm

And IUD is vegan friendly. I just don't have the extra money to spend on something like that, and the birth control from local health departments is free! Can't beat that I guess.

Everyone I personally know thats been on the Depo shot has had cysts. EVERYONE. Which is scary enough for me!! And several people once they go off it that I personally know are having difficult times getting pregnant...And actually my SO's Aunt was on it and she just went through a hysterectomy because she was having so many problems with cysts...

not saying it happens to everyone...but...its enough to make me not go near it.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

That really sucks missbettie.

I'm personally going off of it for calcium reasons. I don't want to have fragile little bones!

well thats good at least you know what its doing to you and you're not in the dark! its so weird though how many people have issues with it!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I know! The most prominent side effect was weight gain, which is what the doctors were more concerned about when I would go in for my next shot. I feel like I was one of the lucky ones to not have a ton of problems from this method of birth control.

Depo is vegan.

"The good news is that Pfizer's Depo-provera, a contraceptive injection, is in the clear (though its other products contain lactose and magnesium stearate)."
    http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?catId=7&pageId=971