Thread: Vegan in Managua

Default Vegan in Managua

I am going to Managua, Nicaragua next week for a few days (monday-friday), not long but still a great experience!

I am super excited to go there to do interviews for my master's thesis with activists and to see the country! However, I am worried about finding vegan-friendly food.

I am going to try to go to a market to get some staples to keep at the hotel room: bread, fruit, peanut butter, avocado and the like.

However, I am worried about getting any food anywhere that doesn't have at least some meat/dairy whatever in it. I have been looking up restaurants, and I seem to have found one: http://www.olaverdesa.com/index_eng.php/

But, it sorta looks like its not really an "authentic" place. Yes, I realize "authentic" Nica food equals lotsa meat and dairy; however, I want the veggies: the cabbage, the tortillas, the gallo pinto (although I am worried about grease being mixed with animal products)--some form of a more traditional food.

I mean I know what to ask and say: "No como carne, puerco o pollo." or "No como carne ni huevos, lecho o queso." "Por favor, que platos tiene sin carne?" But, this will not cover any trace amounts of animal derived products, and I am unsure how to adequatey communicate this.

Has anyone ever been to Managua and could give me some suggestions?

Thanks
    “If our love is only a will to possess, it is not love.”--Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: Vegan in Managua

Quick update: upon looking at the menu further, the entrees are mostly veggie (containing cheese or sauce w/another dairy product in it). I ended up at this place called Ananda (I found it on Happy Cow). I had a soy & corn fried patty-type thing. It sort of reminded me of a potato pancake. I also had a piece of whole-wheat, homemade really, really thickly sliced and delicious toast w/fruit spread and a smoothie made from rice, pineapple and some other type of fruit that must have given it its pink-ish color. This was for about $2 U.S. I know it wasn't that much, but it is pretty humid down here so I wasn't really in the mood for a large meal.
    “If our love is only a will to possess, it is not love.”--Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: Vegan in Managua

it is pretty humid down here so I wasn't really in the mood for a large meallouis vuitton it is pretty humid down here so I wasn't really in the mood for a large meal
    prada it is pretty humid down here so I wasn't really in the mood for a large meal
    chanel it is pretty humid down here so I wasn't really in the mood for a large meal