Thread: breastfeeding colic baby... please help: yum

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default breastfeeding colic baby... please help: yum

hi all,
    sienna-rose has terrible colic and i was thinking she might be allergic to the dairy in my diet. so today is my 1st day back to veganism, with the hope her colic might go.

i guess my motivation to not give up again is siennas health, which has pushed me back to veganism quicker than anticipated as ive b een living off ready meals as she cries all the time.

any advice on safety of vegan mum breastfeeding?
    any experience of colic or lactose intolerance in babies?

thanks and please don't take offence by my 'safety' question. i'm just a worrying 1st time mum

yum
    xxx

cobweb

Default Re: breastfeeding colic baby... please help: yum

Hi yum -

Not being atall preachy but i wonder why you went back to dairy again?.

I know that feeding yourself (or doing anything for yourself!) becomes hard with a new baby, but personally i found the answer was to make lots of food when your baby is asleep to raid whenever you need it .

Do you drink a lot of caffeine?. I used to find it helped my boy if i drank chamomile tea instead, or water.

Some babies just seem to be really 'gripey' - mine was!. I got some kind of aniseedy-chamomile drops from my chemist which helped him, plus lots of 'burping' after feed, and lots and lots and lots of trundling him round in his pram .

I would see how the elimination of dairy in your diet works. Dairy is especially hard on babies. The content of dairy makes it hard to digest.

You can always, as cobweb suggested, make food during nap times to have ready on hand. Carrot sticks, nuts, berried, celery and peanut butter, cucumber and hummus sandwiches, there are tons of easy and quick things to make to keep in the fridge. Make sure you have the colors of the rainbow in your diet and you will have a healthy baby. Drink tons of water. Keep taking your vitamins too.

Good luck!

cobweb

^ be careful with Peanut Butter though in case of possible allergies.

There's lots of gentle herbal teas that you could drink that may help like Aniseed, Chamomile, Fennel, Marshmallow, Caraway.

You can give them dierectly to the baby too in a weak infusion but I think drinking lots of it yourself is a better way.

Here's a link that may help.

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articl...olic-symptoms/

Just do lots of other research too

Massage is good also
    good luck!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

I suggest you go to a La Leche League meeting. They generally know all their stuff well.

If your child is colicky, I suggest reading "Happiest Baby on the Block". Best book I read for early parents. It really works. But you have to be willing to do it.
    context is everything

I agree with above post on La Leche League, google search for their website. How old is your baby? tbh i dont think i'd give a tiny baby watered down herbal teas,check with your midwife if they still visit you or a health visitor? A book i found invaluable whilst breastfeeding my second child was The womanly art of breastfeeding available from LLL, or amazon etc, tonnes of advice in it I also got the Sandra Hood Book, Feeding your vegan infant with confidence, which begins with pregnancy then recipes,ideas etc for beyond that. Also baby massage may help your little one with the colic,some areas hold classes try a sure start centre if you have one local perhaps, good luck

get a sleepywrap my little one barely slept long enough for me to make a good meal while she slept and was just eating toast it was getting too much i needed more which is when i got the sleepywrap so she would sleep and i could make myself a meal and even do the washing.

i cant help with colic much as i didnt experience it but i did find if i ate curry it would upset her stomach and id be up most the night.
    teas and coffees i rarely have coffee if i do i only have one and try to have less then four teas a day as caffeine is not a good thing for a baby who you want to sleep

good luck
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

get a sleepywrap my little one barely slept long enough for me to make a good meal while she slept and was just eating toast it was getting too much i needed more which is when i got the sleepywrap so she would sleep and i could make myself a meal and even do the washing.

i cant help with colic much as i didnt experience it but i did find if i ate curry it would upset her stomach and id be up most the night.
    teas and coffees i rarely have coffee if i do i only have one and try to have less then four teas a day as caffeine is not a good thing for a baby who you want to sleep

good luck
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/