Thread: Redwood Cheese

Default Redwood Cheese

I just thought I would by some vegan cheese but it doesn't taste of much , can anyone give me any ideas of how to make it a bit more tasty in like sandwiches or snacks? (Cheese on toast)

Default Re: Redwood Cheese

grate it up and bung it in some scrambled tofu

coleslaw..gratey veg..mayo and some cheezly

pizza

a toastie machine is your friend. bread-cheezly-assorted other foody stuff-toast it up. pickle is good.
    some of the stuff melts easier..maybe just pretend its cheese and use it in the same way.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Yes I think you have to mix it with other stuff that adds flavour - mustard, salad and so on. If you don't have the melty kind you could slice it thinly or grate it so that it mixes better with the other stuff in your sandwich. For cheese on toast you probably do need the melty kind.

One thing I sometimes do is slice an avocado, put that on bread that has been toasted on its underside (if you see what I mean!), add some grated or sliced Cheezly (the melty kind but the other might be OK) and a sprinkle of chilli sauce, then toast lightly and serve with watercress - yum.

I like cheezly in baked potatoes. Scoop the inside out of a baked potato and mix with some vegan 'butter', finely chopped onion and grated cheezly. Add some salt and black pepper and return this mixture to the potato skin. Place back in the oven to heat up for another 10 minutes..............it's gorgeous!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

bung it in some tasty bread with brannie pickle and finely sliced raw onion for a nom nomishness delight that will clear space around you in a crowded office.

Funny enough I used to loathe it and thought it tasted foul but now its been so long since I tasted cheese I actually think its very cheesy and I use it all the time in pitta breads, on pizza, grated over beans etc

Quote sandra View Post
    I like cheezly in baked potatoes. Scoop the inside out of a baked potato and mix with some vegan 'butter', finely chopped onion and grated cheezly. Add some salt and black pepper and return this mixture to the potato skin. Place back in the oven to heat up for another 10 minutes..............it's gorgeous!
    *drool* Right! That's dinner sorted for tonight!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

^
    Hope you like it as much as we do Pusskins.

It's particularly nice, served with a crisp salad and plenty of red onion!

Just used my cheese on top of my Mediterranean Pie and it was yummy... alot better than on its own.

Am now just waiting on my filled potatoes...

I hope they live up to expectations Pusskins, after all the hype I've been giving them!

LUSH! Used some Edam-style Cheezly, which I wholeheartedly recommend for good melting... <-licking lips smiley

Thank you, sandra

Yay! xxx

I also used it on my pizza tonight

i was thinking about this earlier..the cheese/tofu thing. it's probably that your tastebuds change/will change from the meat and dairy to no meat and dairy times. first time i had cheezly we all stood around and mercilessly took the piss out of it, i thought, in the same way as when i first tasted euthymol toothpaste and thought my friend had replaced it with germolene for a joke, that the cheezly people had put solidified emulsion paint in a packet..and now we scoff lots and feel it tastes very 'cheesy'. tastebuds change
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

^ I agree, we made fun of the cheezly the first time we tried it too but now we love it!
    It really is just a matter of getting used to different textures and tastes.

I'm used to it but I still think it's improved by being mixed with other things. I wouldn't be very likely to sit down and eat a chunk of it on its own (unless desperate ) ETA - still, vegan cheese is a recent invention, I'm sure it will improve over time, or else future vegans may decide they don't need it.

Just bought some yesterday for the first time! (Holland & Barrett is my new favourite shop ) Had the edam-style cheezly in a warm wholemeal pita topped with thinly sliced red onions and a touch of hummus, de-lish!

ooh i just can't get used to cheezly - i keep on trying though in hope that one day it might just taste good. My problem is that when i was veggie i just loved cheese - it was my fav and i had to restrict myself on how much i ate. I think i'm trying to find a texture and taste that will replace good ol mature chedder cheese and so far the closest i've got is Bute Island which is delic on toast with beans!

I love the Redwood's cheeze (not sure what it's actually called), it's one of my 'can't get enough' foods along with Fry's burgers. Infact one of my favorite things is a Fry's burger topped with the melting Redwwods Cheeze and ketchup

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    I love the Redwood's cheeze (not sure what it's actually called), it's one of my 'can't get enough' foods along with Fry's burgers. Infact one of my favorite things is a Fry's burger topped with the melting Redwwods Cheeze and ketchup
    Oh hell yes! That is one of my favourite things in the world as well. I could easily eat three or four in one go...
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

My son love those too.............he likes the burger with cheezly and raw or fried onion on top!

(He can eat 2 or 3 at a time aswell Barry..............I just wish he could make them for himself though instead of me always having to do it! ........)

I picked some Cheezly up in Holland + Barrett last weekend, and then put it back down again because I had no idea whether I'd like it or not. Will definately get some this weekend though
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? ~ Buddha

I used the super melting mozzarella one last night, and it sort of didn't melt at all! o_O
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

Ah I miss cheezly! When I was still living in Oxford I got my Holland & Barrett to start stocking it and when I left they were selling 20+ a week (and not all to me! ). Anyway, here in Canada I've not found a good cheeze, there are some available but they're tasteless and not very good. I used to make my own from the Uncheese cookbook, sorry if I got the name wrong, I'll be going back to making my own.

Not real name!

When really need Daiya over here, don't we?

I just picked up a Cheezly selection pack from Holland and Barrett. 3 smaller portions of red cheddar, blue cheese (flavour only, looks like white cheddar) and a sweet cranberry type(with cranberry's in) cheese in one pack. I suppose it's just for Christmas, Blue cheese and cranberry have strong flavours.

With the cheezly cheddar love making sealed toastys, with veggie Worcester sauce/mushrooms/onions or pizza!

Have you tried the Vegusto varieties?

The "Rezent" is really tasty, and the "Melty" somehow melts.
    They are expensive, but I rather have a little of it now and then than something mediocre more often.

Best regards,
    Andy

Vegourmet Santeciano is also amazing
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Maybe its because I'm a very easy-to-please, unfussy vegan but I like all the vegan cheeses I've tried. I like the Redwoods cheddar, mozzarella and blue (although never having tried blue cheese I'm not sure how similar it is to its cow's milk inspiration!). I've yet to try the other varieties but I'll get there! I'm also hoping that vegourmet and vegusto will become cheaper and more widely available, I'd love to try them!

^ You can't say that blueberries, you have to choose. It's a cheese war and you're in no mans land.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Haha, sorry Risker, I just can't choose, they're all so good! Where do you stand in the cheese war, may I ask?

I eat both, I admit it. Sheese is by far my favourite though. Vegusto... not a fan.

The only scheese I've tried is the creamy one and I liked it, I should give the other ones a go. I saw Vegourmet in the SSOV when I was in London, but didn't get any as I already had more stuff than I could carry! Vegusto has gotten so many good reviews, which type of one did you try?

Can't remember now, just one of the regular ones I think like cheddar or something. I'll give it another go some day.

I really like the Vegusto Piquant, that one tastes really like swiss cheese (as far as I can remember what cheese actually tastes like), they are definitely worth giving another shot. I would definitely try the other Sheeses Blueberries - the Cheshire and Extra strong are really good. I'm a bit annoyed with Redwood at the moment because they have discontinued my fave - Cheddar with bacon style bits!

I didn't even know about Vegusto or Vegourmet! So, thank you! Cheese was one of the harder things to give up so I'm happy to try out more vegan options . Is there a good list of online vegan stores?

Heya Finjax, Alternative Stores seem to do both vegusto and vegourmet http://www.alternativestores.com/eth...wCat&catId=410

Quote Firestorm View Post
    definitely try the other Sheeses Blueberries - the Cheshire and Extra strong are really good
    Will do if I see them (and have any spare cash! I'm a poor student!)

Redwood have discontinued my fave - Cheddar with bacon style bits!
    Aww no, I liked that one! Only tried it once but still, it was a good product. Didn't Redwoods used to do a feta as well? I have vague memories of seeing that years ago, it was in a little tub?

I remember the Feta but they have stopped that, they have said that they may do limited web - only runs of the cheezly with bacon, if they do I will probably buy half their stock.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Heya Finjax, Alternative Stores seem to do both vegusto
    Alternative stores will not be selling Vegusto much longer because the company has launched its own site: http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/

they have said that they may do limited web - only runs of the cheezly with bacon
    I don't think the redwoods site ships outside the UK, so if they do web-only limited editions you may have to buy up the stock and ship it to us!

Mmm i would say that sheese is my favorite too!! Can only get it from the all vegan shop Sound Bites in Derby so i usually buy 6 packs at a time to keep me stocked up. In fact I think i'm going to have to cut me a slice of mature and a glass of red wine now.......... yum yum!!!

I tried the melty gouda for the first time (I love the red cheddar and it was hard for me to buy another variety!) over the weekend and it is really nice. It reminded me a bit of babybells. I have gotten to the stage where I will eat Cheezly on its own straight from the fridge (what level vegan does that make me... if level 7 is 'eats nothing that casts a shadow' haha)
    Houmous atá ann!