Thread: Unsweetened dark chocolate

Default Unsweetened dark chocolate

I got some unsweetened dark chocolate thinking it would taste like chocolate without so much sugar. It does taste like chocolate but is extremely bitter(wish I knew that). So I want to make some chocolate and coconut treats, but don't want to be spitting the chocolate out Does anyone know a great way to sweeten the chocolate without the use of soy/rice milk or anything? Would adding sugar take the bitterness away? Or would mixing it with the coconut neutralize the taste? Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Default Re: Unsweetened dark chocolate

Dark chocolate does taste more complex and chocolatey and less sugary than milk chocolate - it's supposed to! I don't think you can make dark chocolate taste like milk chocolate easily, and to me that's a bit like asking how you could make red wine taste like white wine... they're just different flavours! Adding sugar would just make it taste like very sweet dark chocolate. My suggestion would be rather than trying to "neutralise" its taste, buy a brand of vegan milk-substitute chocolate. In the UK, this one is very milk-chocolatey tasting, but I don't know if you can get it in Canada:
    http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/pro...ouverture-bar/

Default Re: Unsweetened dark chocolate

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Dark chocolate does taste more complex and chocolatey and less sugary than milk chocolate - it's supposed to! I don't think you can make dark chocolate taste like milk chocolate easily, and to me that's a bit like asking how you could make red wine taste like white wine... they're just different flavours! Adding sugar would just make it taste like very sweet dark chocolate. My suggestion would be rather than trying to "neutralise" its taste, buy a brand of vegan milk-substitute chocolate. In the UK, this one is very milk-chocolatey tasting, but I don't know if you can get it in Canada:
    http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/pro...ouverture-bar/
    Unfortunately our grocery stores aren't very vegan friendly. The larger one in London has a small section where I can buy soy milk, but aside from there I'd have no idea where to buy any. The taste was great, it was just the bitterness.