Thread: New mum turning vegan - advice please :)

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default New mum turning vegan - advice please :)

Right thanks for all your replies on a previous thread. I've not had dairy for 3 days now and am worrying abut how to make sure i get enough all the various nutrients for my baby who i breastfed.
    I'm also worrying what people will think of me for being a vegan breastfeeding mum

I'm also worrying about siennas health

i'm also worrying that she'll picked on at school for being 'different'

I'm also worrying that i'm doing the right thing

I was vegan for 3 years and was fine as my health is my responsibiltiy but when it comes down to doing the right thing for sienna i am second guessing myself

please help

Default Re: Right here it goes- new mum turning vegan advice please:)

Hi Yum and Sienna-Rose.
    I'm not a parent so I can't offer any personal advice but the Vegan Society do offer advice relating to some of the things you've asked about. You'll find it here. I hope this helps as a starting point.

Default Re: New mum turning vegan - advice please :)

Hi. I am a breast feeding mum. My daughter is now two and a half and really happy and healthy but I still worry about her health and nutrition so I understand totally your feelings on this subject. When my daughter was exclusively breast feeding I made sure to take B12, iron, and kelp tablets also i add flax oil to soya yoghurt. B12, vit D and iodine are the main nutrients you need to ensure you get. A lot of soya products are fortified with B12 and vit D but unless you eat seaweed you probably need to think about taking a kelp supplement. Don't overdo it though as iodine has to be a fine balance. Once I started weaning my daughter I was still breastfeeding four/six times a day until she was a year old and up until she was two I was still breast feeding four times a day. Now i feed her on average one/two times a day. I give my daughter a vitamin tablet in her cereal every other day as the iron content of the tablet can be a bit high if she has it every day. I give her soluble B12 and vit C drops and on the day I give her the vitamin tablet I also give her a vit A drop as for some bizarre reason the vitamin tablet I give her does not contain vitamin A. I add flax oil to her yoghurt every day (I make her yoghurt with silken tofu, plain alpro and fresh fruit) and I give her a spoonfull of black treacle as it contains iron, iodine and calcium. She has fortified soya milk with her cereal and has just started quite liking it as a drink but I also buy orange juice fortified with calcium. And all this is obviously done within a well balanced vegan diet, like for example tonight she will be having tuscan bean soup made with onion, carrot, leek, celery, fennel, tomatoes, potatoes and cannellini beans. I have spent hours and hours worrying about her nutrition and trying to ensure that no-one could ever criticise me for raising my daughter vegan. Like you with your daughter, my daughter's health is the most important thing in the world to me. I hope this has been useful but please PM me if you want to know anything else. Best wishes

ps The Vegan society are very useful as a starting point but they will say things like 'give your baby a B12 supplement' and then don't tell you who makes one or where to buy it. if you need any advice on buying supplements or which ones are suitable for under ones or toddlers etc please do PM me as I can advise you!

Just wanted to say, Yum, that you are a totally amazing mummy and it's lovely to read how you are thinking things through and making sure that Sienna-Rose comes absolutely first and foremost in everything that you are thinking through. I've seen so many happy and healthy vegan children on this and other sites, and so I know that your care for her health and bringing her up in a way that sits right with your conscience will pay dividends in a long and healthy life for both of you. RR xx

im a breast feeding mum to a nearly one year old now.
    i personally dont take any supplements sometimes i think i should but haven't gotten around to it. charlotte seems very healthy and at her check up the health care nurses are always pleased with her development and weight. when breast feeding it is important to eat a good diet to make sure you are healthy enough to keep up with the demand and from that food everything will also be going into your milk. i sometimes second guess myself but then i think dairy is just so unhealthy that im glad i dont have to deal with that i was reading on average a baby in its first year will get an illness anywhere from 4-11 times my little one has had one cold and it was just a runny nose so i must be doing something right which makes it better and i do put it down to being vegan as alot of other mums i no that are not vegan have had a few times where the babies have been ill.

i think its normal to feel how you do but im pretty sure unless you state to everyone that sees you breastfeed your baby that you are vegan they wont even know or care.

i think a great bonus of being made to feel that children shouldn't be vegan is that when solids are started we are more careful in what we feed them to make sure they are getting what they need instead of just assuming like on an omni diet.

god luck with everything i really hope you start to feel better about your choices
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/