Thread: Seasoning, spices

Default Seasoning, spices

Yo. I'm getting into making stew-type dishes in the slow cooker cos it's cheap and easy. I like to experiment with all sorts of bits and bobs, but there are so many types of seasoning out there, and they can really make or break a dish, so can anybody recommend the best ones for giving tasty or unusual flavours to this type of food? Cheers.

I like Indian spices like cumin, coriander, chilli, turmeric, tamarind and fenugreek.

I like Mace - it gives things an earthy, woody flavour.

i have loads of herbs and spices that i just stick in my food according to how i feel and it works pretty well most of the time

Indian spices as Banana suggests are great, not just the ground ones like cumin and coriander but the whole seeds are pretty good too: cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds especially if you fry/saute onions with them (the seeds only need to go in for a short while or they'll burn). if you like very spicy food cayenne's pretty good. when making stir-fries or anything oriental-style i often use Chinese five spice, i can't remember what it's made up of (doh!) but you can buy it ready-mixed in jars.

i put garlic in almost anything savoury!

i love dried herbs such as oregano, thyme and rosemary, and fresh basil is gorgeous. instead of salt i often use soy/tamari sauce, nutritional yeast flakes or kelp powder. kelp will give an unusual, slightly seafoody flavour (but be careful not to add too much, you only need a tiny amount).

hope that helps
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cajun spice mix is nice, you can buy it ready blended.

thanks for the suggestions guys. there's some in there that i've heard of but never tried.

PinkFluffyCloud

I like Swiss Marigold Vegan Boullion, available from all good supermarkets and health stores near you!!!
    It's easy and good for soups, stews, anything really.

i bought some VeCon - concentrated vegetable stock - at the weekend, and used it in one of my favourite soup recipes. it worked really well, gave it a nice flavour and i believe it's fortified with stuff like kelp and vitamin B12 from my brief scan of the label.

i also like Kallo organic vegetable stock powder, i tried their low salt stock cubes and they don't seem to dissolve very well, perhaps because of the low salt content. i have seen the Swiss Marigold bouillon PFC, and it looks good but i haven't tried it yet, will make a note to get some!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

yeah i can vouch for the marigold swiss bouillon jobby. i use it all the time. i've got the reduced salt version.

Default Spike

Is Spike seasoning vegan? Any suggestions on good flavors?

I think there is some yeast product in there but not sure. I'm not at home or I would check the box. I will do so when I get home. Well, is yeast animal exploitation anyway? Certainly is an animal in the strictest sense of the word. I've been using the salt free version of Spike for a while now. More of a shortcut or convenience due to work day demans than anything else. I could do without it. Most of the constituents are dried veggies anyway.

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm going to check the box when I get home.

As for good flavors, I tried this once but it was a lot of work: seeing all these recipes etc utilize chicken stock I made some vegetable stock. Got a big selection of veggies, broccoli, carrots, celery, onion, etc. and trimmed the rough outer layers and stocks, then brewed them to make a stock, disgarding the boiled out remains, making a bean soup utilizing the hearts of the veggies. Not sure it was any better.
    I am a tangerine ;)

I don't know any vegans who consider yeast an animal product.

Thank you!

Question Poultry seasoning

My friend gave me a stuffing recipe that looks pretty good. I can substitute everything (butter, beef stock) with vegan ingredients, but I'm stuck on the poultry seasoning. I would just eliminate it, but it's 2 Tbsp, so I think it would be noticable. I haven't looked at the ingredients of poultry seasoning (none in the house ), but I have to assume that it's boullion. Any ideas for substitutes that won't drastically alter the flavor of the stuffing?

-JK

Veggie boullion is what I would use. Any time something calls for chicken-flavored broth or boullion, I always use vegetable-flavored.

i would imagine "poultry seasoning" is some sort of mix of herbs. i looked it up on the internet and one site gave the recipe as 3/4 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, dash marjoram, dash cloves. it says it can be used as poultry stuffing, so i guess that's probably what you need.

Cool, thanks guys! I didn't think about it before, but you're right, Gorilla. I saw "poultry" and assumed "chicken flavored" instead of something to flavor poultry.

-JK

Talking The most amazing spice mixture ever

I saw this recipe posted on another site that yanked it because it was from a cookbook. I think a 7th Day Adventist cookbook. I made this mixture yesterday and it is phenomenal . I've used it on asparagus, broccoli and kale so far and think it would probably taste even good on ice cream!!! Ok, kidding about that.

Country-Style Seasoning

1 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    1 T onion powder
    2 t garlic powder
    1 T paprika
    1/2 t turmeric
    1 t italian seasoning, or dried oregano, or dried parsley
    3 T salt (I used Herbamare, a French herb flavored salt)

Blend all ingredients on high until fine. Let sit in covered blender 2-3 minutes before removing. Store in covered container. No need to refrigerate.

There is also a parmesan-like topping recipe made with this stuff, I'll post that another time.

mmmm that sounds good feline
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Here's the recipe for Sesame Sprinkle; the parmesan-like topping.

1 cup unhulled sesame seeds
    1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    2 t salt
    2 t onion powder
    1/2 t garlic powder
    2 T Country-Style seasoning (recipe above)
    2 T lemon juice

In a dry skillet, toast sesame seeds, stirring constantly, until slightly browned and beginning to crackle (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and blend in blender or food processor on high until finely ground. Pour into bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Keep refrigerated. Delicious sprinkled onsalads, vegetables or pasta.

Note: I found that when I blended the sesame seeds, they began to become a paste. It was still useable in the recipe. I just mashed the nutritional yeast flakes into the paste and it became more powdery.

Talking cilantro

I know this is sort of random...but I absolutely hate cilantro...i think it is the most vile tasting spice ever... yucky just thought I would share ....

As far as spices I do really enjoy...
    I love anything with cinnamon, thyme, garlics...lots and looots of garlic, salt, white pepper, nutitional yeast (not a spice but adds tons of flavor ) annnnd I really love saffron...BUt i havent ever cooked with it....has anyone used it?? Any ideas??

Sarah

I've been known to use:

tumeric, cayanne pepper, lemon pepper, chili powder, onion crystals, garlic crystals, cumin, marjoram, marimite, nutritional yeast, parsley, mexican oregano, dried cilantro, old bay type seasoning, steak seasoning*, poultry seasoning*, curry powder, red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano.

*there's no steak in steak seasoning there's no poultry in poultry seasoning but as always check the lables.