Thread: Butterbean Spread / Kidney Bean Spread

Smile Butterbean Spread / Kidney Bean Spread

this is a great spread/pate based on a recipe in Vegan Rustic Cooking with a couple of things i added.

1 400g can of butterbeans, drained
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 rounded teaspoon barley miso
    sprinkling of pepper
    2 tablespoons of natural soya yogurt
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    pinch of mustard or horseradish

Place all the above in a flat bottomed dish. Mash well in with the back of a fork.

i made sandwiches with mine, it's enough for about three or four rounds and it goes really well with sprouted beans. it's a little bit like houmous.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I'd just whizz them all in my whizzer, but omit the yoghurt and garlic, and in place of the miso I'd use marmite. In fact I might do that next time I get some butterbeans.
    Eve

Marmite sounds like a good idea Eve

i don't use my food processor for this because it's so much effort to clean, and i prefer to use less electricity where possible. but that would make it a lot quicker.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That recipe looks really scrummy, gorilla.

Next time I get butterbeans, I'm making this. I'll probably make a few alterations of my own, but it seems a really adaptable recipe so I'm sure it would turn out quite lovely.

I am going to buy these ingredients on Saturday and make this. Mmmm - with bean sprouts on sandwich - sounds delish!!!

Quote Gorilla
    this is a great spread/pate based on a recipe in Vegan Rustic Cooking with a couple of things i added.

1 rounded teaspoon barley miso
    sprinkling of pepper

Place all the above in a flat bottomed dish. Mash well in with the back of a fork.

i made sandwiches with mine, it's enough for about three or four rounds and it goes really well with sprouted beans. it's a little bit like houmous.

where did you get barley miso, gorilla??
    could a substitute be used?? marmite? yeast flakes?
    what do you think?

i bought barley miso in a wholefood shop in Brighton called Infinity Foods. they sell loads of weird stuff like that i think i've seen it in Holland & Barrett as well, i can't remember the brand though.

it's not particularly essential to the recipe and to be honest i don't think i like it much anyway, i bought a very small jar for this recipe and another one in the same book (i'd never tried it before), and it has a bit of a weird flavour. i expect Marmite/yeast extract would be a good substitute, it has a similar consistency. Marmite's probably stronger though so perhaps use a bit less than a teaspoon....? trial and error

I made this tonight so I can have it on my sandwiches for the next couple of days. It tastes great! Though - I had to make some changes because I couldn't get all of the ingredients.

I couldn't get canned butterbeans at Wholefoods, so I used canned Cannellini Beans (White Kidney Beans). I'm not sure what Barley Miso is, but in my fridge I have some Amano Miso, which I used. I also added an extra clove of garlic

Mmmmm - am going to have it on a sanwhich tomorrow with a couple of slices of tomato.

glad you liked it Roxy i've made a kidney bean spread as well and i'll post the recipe later

FYI Cedar the make of barley miso i bought is Danival. Clearspring make it as well i think, and i've seen other brands in health food shops. miso seems to be fermented soya beans with other stuff added, in this case barley, although i have no idea what amano miso is - Roxy?

Gorilla,

Looking forward to the kidney bean spread, I use those beans probably the most along with chickpeas.

I guess Amano is the brand name. The type of Miso I used is Shiro. It is light coloured with quite a mellow flavour.

here is the kidney bean version, as promised. it's very much like the butterbean one.

1 400g can of kidney beans, drained
    1 teaspoon of barley miso
    1 teaspoon chilli sauce (i used harissa paste)
    1 heaped teaspoon of tomato puree
    1 tablespoon olive oil

again, place all the above in a flat bottomed dish. Mash well in with the back of a fork.

or use a food processor if you prefer.

this also makes a very nice sandwich spread, i ate mine with rocket salad and raw spinach leaves.

Thanks Gorilla, might try that for lunch tomorrow.

To mash it, could you put in a bowl and use a mashed potato masher thingy?

This sounds so yummy!

But what's marimite?

Quote Tigerlily
    But what's marimite?
    Psssst, lily, over HERE

tails4wagging

Yes, gorilla, i have that book and have made that recipe, its lovely.

Tigerlily, you could use a potato masher but you might find it's a bit more chunky than if you use a fork or spoon. you can pretty much make it however chunky or smooth you like

Marmite, yeast extract, miso, whatever - i'm sure there are other things you could use if you can't get any of them. any old (vegan!) savoury stuff would probably work. yeast flakes would probably add a similar taste but they wouldn't have the same thickening effect, and might be a bit dry.