Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: UK - Special Deals

Default Re: Special Deals (UK)

Quote Risker View Post
    Ecover isn't vegan unfortunately. They say they're against animal testing and then do it anyway, that's why they are no longer vegan society approved.
    What?! I never knew that. At least now I have an excuse to not spend £4 on washing up liquid...

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    What?! I never knew that. At least now I have an excuse to not spend £4 on washing up liquid...
    I've never spent £4 on washing up liquid - lol. All Ecover products have always been vegan except the washing up liquid which contains whey.

http://www.ecover.com/gb/en/Washing+up+liquid.htm

Our Camomile and Marigold Washing Up Liquid is the only product in our range which contains a small percentage of animal ingredients, i.e. milk whey. Milk whey is a bi-product of the cheese industry and would otherwise be thrown away. All our other products are suitable for vegans.

We add milk whey to our Camomile and Marigold Washing Up Liquid to ensure that it is extra kind to the hands. People who suffer from skin allergies or eczema can use it without putting on gloves.

Lemon and Aloe Vera Washing Up Liquid is an excellent alternative for those who prefer not to use a product containing milk whey.

They test on water fleas and rabbit blood.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-2mm-flea.html

Well you've won your argument of one-upmanship, even though you had to use the Daily Mail to back you up. You've reminded me of exactly why most people avoid morally self-righteous vegans like the plague. Joining this website was clearly a mistake on my part. Adios.

Not really, just explaining why it's not vegan. I only used the DM post for convenience but it's been discussed on here before, just search for ecover.

Nothing to do with one-upmanship, I think you're being overly defensive.

I don't think this was about one-upmanship Argonaut, Risker was just pointing out that a product a lot of Vegans think is Vegan, is not any more. Personally I'm grateful so I can now avoid buying this stuff.

Haha, touchy much? That's what forums like this are great for, pointing things like this out - no need to get defensive.

Yes I pointed out that ecover was not vegan on this thread

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ghlight=ecover

Fortunately cuddlychicken seemed to take it quite well. Well I think so haven't seen them on the forum recently come to think of it.

CuddlyChicken

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Default Re: UK - Special Deals

Homebargains have yummy earth sweets and lollies for £0.49 a pack. Thats £1.5 cheaper than Vegan Store

Not the most exciting offer but if you buy rice cakes, it's time to stock up at the 99p Store. Two packets of Sheriffs Fairtrade Rice Cakes (slightly salted), for 99p. (100g per pk).

Leeds_lad1976

Honest to Goodness is running a promotion at the moment, they are offering 10% off your first order. I just saved £6.34 which is great. Enter JU12 under the "my Shopping Cart Tab".

Approved foods has some cheap vegan products at the moment, Oat Milk (use by Sept), Faith in Nature products and Orgran Products.

I was in my local B+M store a couple of days ago (in Grimsby) and they have Provamel custard for 50p and cream for 25p.
    Not very long dates on them (custard - nov 2012, cream mar 2013) but still much cheaper than H+B!
    They are in the same section as tinned fruit.

RebeccaDye

Tesco currently have Good Hemp Milk, Kara Coconut Milk and Almond Breeze Milk at 3 for £3!

Morrisons are selling Nakd bars (including Trek Protein 68Gram bars) for £0.50

Approved Food have got Blue Dragon boxes of tofu three for 99p atm. BB date is October 2012 but previous experience tells me its good for a year or so at least after that.

Approved food have got 4 different Alpro Mylks on offer at the moment:http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/latest...days=60&page=2

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Approved food have got 4 different Alpro Mylks on offer at the moment:http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/latest...days=60&page=2
    Thanks Firestorm, they've also got the Provamel caramel puddings, organic provamel cream and those hunky dory cheese and onion crisps. Absolutely no guarantee on this but I saw somewhere a discussion on these - it might have been FB - that these are an 'accidentally vegan' product. I've ordered a couple of packets anyway and if they are no good ... oh, I'll find some unsuspecting omni to give them to

Sainsbury's have Linda McCartney Vegetable and Sausage Spanish Stew (looks like an Innocent Pot) for £1.30, reduced from £2.60. Sainsbury's online list it as vegan-friendly. Contains 2 of your 5 a day.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/grocerie...3=vegsaus+stew

Quote Gattona View Post
    Absolutely no guarantee on this but I saw somewhere a discussion on these - it might have been FB - that these are an 'accidentally vegan' product. I've ordered a couple of packets anyway and if they are no good ... oh, I'll find some unsuspecting omni to give them to
    I'm pretty certain they are vegan as Asda sells them and you can see the ingredients on their site, however on approved food I think they are a bit past their sell by date

I'm pretty certain they are vegan as Asda sells them and you can see the ingredients on their site, however on approved food I think they are a bit past their sell by date
    Yeah they're vegan alright. They're an Irish product, I've been happily munching on them for years!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote Barry View Post

Yeah they're vegan alright. They're an Irish product, I've been happily munching on them for years!
    Me too, I love Hunky Dorys!
    Houmous atá ann!

Woooo hoooo, thanks. I've looked for them in 3 different Asdas and not found them so I was excited to see them at AF. They went out of date last september so I expect they will be OK. My fussy children won't eat them though which is even better news. Wish I'd ordered more now.

Very happy the soy milks on approved food, especially the chocolate one! It's not very often I get to treat myself to that, and at 1 litre, 2 for £1 I am not complaining!

Thanks for the heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

Then again, the delivery cost is £5.25.. I wish it was free if you spent a certain amount on there. Shame.

Yes, you do have to factor in delivery costs. But then again, unless you've got somewhere within walking cycling distance you'd be paying for fares or petrol or a supermarket delivery charge.

My order will be coming soon and I'm panicking a bit. I've sciatica and limited mobility and lifting ability. The cupboards will need a serious sort out, and under the settee to get it stashed before anyone else gets in and gets narked (it happens) about a bulk purchase we haven't got room for. Ooooooh, vegan cheese and onion crisps.

Tesco seem to be selling a lot of UHT vegan mylks half price (Kara Chocolate, Alpro Chocolate & Vanilla Light, Blue Diamond Almond Milk), but its not on their site. I think it may vary from store to store though as there were different ones on offer in a different store I visited

Sainasubrys tea cakes - 50p (much more reasonable that their hot cross buns)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I don't think this was about one-upmanship Argonaut, Risker was just pointing out that a product a lot of Vegans think is Vegan, is not any more. Personally I'm grateful so I can now avoid buying this stuff.
    Yeah, I don't get that!
    I am also grateful when someone points out to me that a product I'm using isn't vegan so I won't buy it again. I see it as encouraging and helpful, rather than one-upmanship. We are all in it for the animals not personal gain.

Also, so glad I saw this as I too have used Ecover and won't again!

Btw, Risker, I find Sainsbury's is very good with vegan labelling. I went through their list of vegan products and ended up with quite a big shopping list. I will look out for their teacakes. I believe their digestives are vegan too.

Red face Re: UK - Special Deals

My local Tesco store is currently selling Swedish Glace Smooth Vanilla at half-price (£1.10 per carton) and so I am cramming as many as I can into my freezer.

I buy a lot of my household products from my local Coop store because most of their own branded ones are suitable for vegans.

^ Not half price at mine, not online at least. Maybe yours is discontinuing it :P

Nakd have launched 6 new protein flapjacks which are all on special offer at the moment: http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk...ein-flapjacks/

Burgen Soya & Linseed bread is [still] a £1 in Iceland. This is my bread of choice at the moment, it has such a lovely texture. Be warned though, if you happen to come across the Burgen Buckwheat and Poppysead variety, it is not vegan.

Allied Bakeries Issue Reference 4329786

Dear Sean

Thank you for your e-mail we received in regards to our Burgen Bread that we bake.

Please be advised that all our Burgen Bread apart from the Buckwheat and Poppyseed Bread is suitable for a vegan diet.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Yours sincerely,
    Wendy Davis

Hi,

Approved Foods have got some gummy sweeties that are apparantly rather good. Check here for which ones are vegan.

http://www.goodygoodstuff.com/content/varieties

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/latest_products

Sainsburys have some huuuuuge discounts on curry sauces and spreads.
    Patak's biryani sauce, and vindaloo and phaal sauces are half price at 85p.
    Sainsbury's vindaloo sauce was 75% off at about 36p I think.
    Sharwood's pastes are 75% off at 50p each.

All dated next year.

This might only be the Sittingbourne store, but worth a look.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Inspiral are selling their kale chips a bit more cheaply than usual because they are changing the packaging (or summat) http://shop.inspiralled.net/ Think it's only until tomorrow though

Holland & Barrett have got their own range of dairy free advent calendars, £3.99 each buy one get one half price.