Thread: mealworms and birds

Default mealworms and birds

Hi,

I am just having an ethical dilemma and wondered what other people thought. Is it ethical to feed live mealworms to wild birds? I am a new vegan, and in previous years I have always done this. I love birds, although I also love invertebrates. Upon thinking about it I realise if it was a bowl of people I was putting out to be eaten then it would of course still be murder when they are killed, and so perhaps it is wrong. But then the wild birds need support, especially at this time of year when chicks may starve if there is not enough food. Live invertebrates are the preferred food as they are high in protein and also provide water-I realise they can eat seed too and do feed them seeds and peanuts. I also want to attract birds to my garden as they help me to grow my vegetables organically without having to use pesticides-this week the sparrows have been eating the greenfly that were damaging my plants. But is this right? It is part of the natural food chain, but how much is it ok to interfere with nature? Perhaps I should only observe nature without interfering but then humans have already done so much harmful interfering that I feel that trying to give some support back to the birds is necessary.
    Hmmm...

Default Re: mealworms and birds

Hello Thyme, These are just my thoughts on the subject - I too feed the birds in my garden but only with nuts, seeds, fruits etc personally I would NOT use live mealworms. If the birds find mealworms for themselves thats fine, thats what birds do, thats nature. I also dont use any pesticide in my garden and let nature take its course, if plants or veggies get eaten then I have provided a meal for some other creature, if things dont get eaten then I benefit, but by planting anything out in your garden you know there is a risk and must not be surprised if things get eaten
    Just do whatever you feel is right
    May all creatures be well, may they be happy and may they be at peace.

Hi Thyme. As VG says, it's about what sits well with your conscience, and everyone is different. For me, I don't use mealworms because the Vegan Soc definition of living in a vegan way is to avoid all animal products where "reasonable and practical". To me, it's both reasonable and practical not to pay someone to breed mealworms specifically for me to feed to birds. Your choices may be different and are equally valid.

yes, I know really when I think about it-as it's not just the actual feeding the mealworms to the birds like you say-it's the fact that the people breeding 'feeder' invertebrates are being supported. I don't think I'll buy them again. I provide water along with the seeds so I'm sure that gives them a good meal, and there is a lot of greenfly and slugs in my garden as I don't do anything to harm them. There's so many aspects of my life i need to re-think now im vegan!

Thanks for your help

When I go to the garden centre I always doublecheck the seed I buy in case mealworms or other little critters have been added. Sometimes they don't make a big deal of it on the packaging!