Thread: New irn bru advert :O/

Angry New irn bru advert :O/

Anyone else seen the new irn bru advert? I just don't get it, of all the topics and themes they could use, why come up with this? Surely they realise this is going to upset a lot of their veggie and vegan customers? Atleast they haven't started a facebook fan page yet, but i definately feel an e-mail to them coming on....
    ( though i am still waiting for a reply from muller )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0tr5PPAoU
    ~WE MUST NOT REFUSE WITH OUR EYES WHAT THEY MUST ENDURE WITH THEIR BODIES.~

Default Re: New irn bru advert :O/

Email them, they've had ads banned before I think lol. I sometimes wonder about the people who work in ad agencies, what goes on in their head that they don't think people people object to this?

It's horrible isn't it. I don't even get it

I don't really see the fuss to be honest. It's a cartoony ad that's trying to present a black sense of humour, no animals were hurt in its making. If it's guilty of anything it's that it's just not funny, and it's a bit shit really.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Post Re: New irn bru advert :O/

I think that is kinda the point for me though Barry. The advert has nothing to do with the product, it is not clever or funny. So why bother using a subject like this, that is obviously a very sensitive subject to many people, in the first place?

Well i have e-mailed them, lets see if they can be bothered to reply. Anyone else wanting to get in touch with them, this is the address i used :-
    info@agbarr.co.uk

xx

Maybe it could be good...because it shows a 'nasty human' taking those lovely animals to the butchers. Maybe some people will think "well that is bad".

Although maybe people will just laugh and it will re-enforce the "I don't care" attitude.

I think it's crass, but if anything it seems a bit of an own goal from an omnivore point of view as it shows how contradictory (or "evil" if they prefer) the behaviour is (being nice to animals and then killing them).

I did a search and found a few people moaning about its being in bad taste on other internet forums. Maybe it will make some of them have a think about what they're shoving in their gobs (and I don't just mean the Irn Bru ).

Me and my daughter were dismayed when we saw this advert.
    I'm sure it will upset younger children whether they eat meat or not...........although on the other hand it might plant a seed in a child's mind that eating meat means innocent animals suffer.........so maybe it will create more vegans........we can only hope.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I was thinking the same Sandra, I know it would confuse and upset my niece and it would have upset me as a child.

I think I saw something about its only being shown after the watershed, for what that's worth.

I hope it is only on after the watershed but when me and TheAlterEgo saw it, it was around lunchtime!

Maybe it's not right about the watershed, then, or maybe it only applies in England.

As someone was pointing out the watershed for ads is a bit meaningless when they're all over the internet for all to see.

That's true Harpy.

Quote Barry View Post
    I don't really see the fuss to be honest. It's a cartoony ad that's trying to present a black sense of humour, no animals were hurt in its making. If it's guilty of anything it's that it's just not funny, and it's a bit shit really.
    I agree. However I really dislike the Muller advert (the thank you cows campaign thing) to me that is offensive because it's a direct link to the product. I think of the two, our focus needs to be against Muller.

I'm hoping Irn-Bru doesn't contain any cartoon animal products though

TBH I haven't drank it for years, foul sugary grossness!
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

Thumbs down Re: New irn bru advert :O/

it's horrible..dumb and has no relevence to irn bru which is a shite tasting drink anyway..and just reinforces to people who don't acknowledge that animals feel that they are dead happy to become sausage. yay..i'm soo happy to be killed and eaten..it was never made in scotland from gurhdurhs..ARRRGH.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I wouldn't even bother talking about this ad to anybody else in the outside world. At the end of the day, what they want is: US TALKING ABOUT IT and make the brand famous. They can just F-OFF!

Just watched it, think it's disgraceful to be honest.
    It sn't funny, and its taking the p.
    I think its bad enough that animals are forced to live on 'farms' against their will, then killed, against their will, without someone in a blase way mocking it.

Hate the ad, and will never buy Iron Bru again!!!

It's good to know i am not the only one who hates this advert. I just don't get why anyone would want to use such a sensitive subject, to advertise a product that has nothing to do with the adverts they use.
    They haven't bothered to reply to my email either, now there's a surprise

xx

Kimberlily1983

Grrr, the poster of this video deletes comments criticizing the ad! Some of the ones I saw earlier, as well as a couple I put up, are now gone.

Irn Bru have made a name for themselves by making slightly outre adverts. I find most of them amusing (particularly the 'cheer up goth' campaign!). I agree with veganese, it's got us talking. I think they will be happy with the reaction we have given them, it's exactly their intention. I'm not particularly amused by it, but I'm not outraged - I'm offended more by adverts who don't even acknowledge that slaughter takes place actually. You can't have a sensible discussion about a Burger King advert.

Kimberlily1983

Quote jimmeh View Post
    I'm offended more by adverts who don't even acknowledge that slaughter takes place actually.
    Good point.

I was thinking that, and other people have made this point, that the ad perhaps encourages some independent thinkers to question their dietary habits. So the ad might actually do a little good!

Nonetheless, it still irks me that the vast majority of people won't think anything of it, and won't be bothered by the fact that, for instance, the sheep throws his wool over the puddle for the man to walk over (Because animals *want* us to take their skins, their milk, their babies, etc. They're giving them to us!). And the hen that breaks her egg on top of her head (Now I guess animals are as wasteful with the food - their babies! - they're *giving* us as humans are with it?).