Thread: Brown rice vs. white rice

Default Brown rice vs. white rice

Replacing White Rice With Brown Rice or Other Whole Grains May Reduce Diabetes Risk

A short excerpt:
    The researchers estimated that replacing 50 grams of white rice (just one third of a typical daily serving) with the same amount of brown rice would lower risk of type 2 diabetes by 16%. The same replacement with other whole grains, such as whole wheat and barley, was associated with a 36% reduced risk.

The study is the first to specifically examine white rice and brown rice in relation to diabetes risk among Americans, said Qi Sun, who did the research while at HSPH and is now an instructor of medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. "Rice consumption in the U.S. has dramatically increased in recent decades. We believe replacing white rice and other refined grains with whole grains, including brown rice, would help lower the risk of type 2 diabetes," said Sun.

The study appears online June 14, 2010, on the website of the journal Archives of Internal Medicine. Brown rice is superior to white rice when it comes to fiber content, minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals, and it often does not generate as large an increase in blood sugar levels after a meal. Milling and polishing brown rice removes most vitamins and minerals. In addition, milling strips away most of its fiber, which helps deter diabetes by slowing the rush of sugar (glucose) into the bloodstream.
    Source: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ort/170/11/961

From http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hph...own-rice.html:

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Brown rice vs. white rice

i do love brown rice and would only eat this at home but the rest of the family don't care for it's chewy texture and like white, so i tend to eat white more nowadays so i don't create an extra pan to wash up - lazy? - yes!!

..maybe i could do a small percentage split of white & brown together as a tester.

cobweb

yeah i only really like brown rice, white so fluffy, ick.

To me, brown rice is better a thousand fold.
    It's true; ask anyone who agrees with me.

patientia

I have to admit that I like white rice better, especially jasmine rice.

RubyDuby

basmati is yummy... but i always get brown when there is the option.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I normally eat brown as I prefer the flavour and texture but sometimes use white if I want something quick.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I've developed a taste for brown rice now but used to prefer white.

Quote patientia View Post
    I like white rice better, especially jasmine rice
    I recently bought some brown jasmine rice which I hadn't seen before, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

patientia

Wow! Let us know how you like it.

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i do love brown rice and would only eat this at home but the rest of the family don't care for it's chewy texture and like white, so i tend to eat white more nowadays so i don't create an extra pan to wash up - lazy? - yes!!

..maybe i could do a small percentage split of white & brown together as a tester.
    You'd have to start the brown off first wouldn't you, because it takes longer to cook? Maybe if it works you could gradually increase the proportion of brown so your family get used to it without realising.

cobweb

i'm always confused with rice about keeping leftovers - is it safe or not?

It's fine, but you have to take precautions - always keep it refrigerated and if it begins to spoil in any way then throw it away, spoiled rice can do nasty things to your stomach, much moreso than most foods if you eat them when they're bad
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

BlackCats

I love white basmati rice. I could just eat a bowl of it without anything with it.

Brown basmati rice is good too though!

BlackCats

I have tasted brown basmati rice but I don't remember what it was like.

i lurve white rice, maybe cause its what i grew up on...but i always get brown because its better for you *sigh* i guilt myself...

i really like sushi rice. its sticky and fabulous.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote cobweb View Post
    i'm always confused with rice about keeping leftovers - is it safe or not?
    I was under the impression that you are not meant to reheat cooked rice.

^ i do it all the time...thats how i make fried rice, rice from earlier.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I do reheat it too but I'm more wary of it than other foods because I've had really bad food poisoning from it at work once which left me bedridden and delirious for 3-4 days. (It was a cold rice salad made by a professional chef and I was eating at my desk in a warm building, taking a mouthful every now and then as I worked over the course of several hours.)
    It's important to observe good basic food hygiene eg don't leave it out at room temperature, put leftovers in the fridge within one hour, even if it is still warm and to reheat thoroughly. If in doubt chuck it out.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

yeah i think i might stick to my plan of not keeping it, thanks everyone!

I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's steaming hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

From the Food Standards Agency website^
    I am off to put my rice in the fridge!

If I do ever keep leftover rice I try to do what the FSA advise, i.e. cool it fast, refrigerate, then heat thoroughly. But it's such a pain that it's easier just to cook the amount you need for one meal if poss.

It's interesting that they say "Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins" then "Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's steaming hot all the way through..." Why is the reheating important if it won't get rid of the toxins? Perhaps it gets rid of the bacteria themselves?

I love brown rice, that is possibly because I am so hopeless at cooking white rice, I always overcook it, brown rice is much more forgiving.

I have never tried brown rice before

I just always assumed (for some bizarre reason) it wouldn't be as nice! Will definitely get some at the weekend and give it a go
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? ~ Buddha

LOVE brown rice. My daughter prefers it too. Every now and then we go for the Uncle Ben's stuff in the packet, but we both seem to enjoy brown rice when I have the time to cook it. I'm actually whipping some up now to go with a spinach and mushroom tofu scramble. YUM.
    When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream. - John Lennon

Yes, I think the brown kind generally has more flavour, and a more interesting texture too. White rice usually just seems like a backdrop for some other flavour, although some is tasty.

I prefer brown rice, the glycemic index is lower than white rice. It causes left of a spike in insulin than white rice. I personally think brown rice is a better energy food than white rice. Eating a lot of white rice produces effects similar to that of eating sugary foods for me.

Also I just don't like the idea of polishing rice as it removes some nutrients.

Pretty much everything I cook is served over a bed of brown rice, it's a staple food for me.

I hate brown rice, i find it's flavour overtakes everything i'm cooking.

I Luuuurve basmati rice, and can' go past arborio for risottos
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

I also used to like white rice better, but am now using brown rice instead. Am just at developing a taste for it

Regarding keeping leftover rice - immediately cooling it etc. ... that brought a smile to my face, as it is totally against the practice that is normally done in Asia ... you have the rice in the rice cooker, prepare it at 1800 hours maybe, and the dinner lasts until 2300 hours until everybody who might visit has dropped by and shared a bowl. During that time, the rice is kept heated and possibly re-heated the next day. (At least that is what I have experienced at my wifes family in Taiwan all the time).

Of course, you might expect Chinese to know how to eat rice ;-) Have to ask my wifes niece, she has studied nutrition.

Best regards,
    Andy

Ive been trying to use brown rice, but every packet I open has bugs in them. I hit the motherload today, Sooooo many eggs and larvae, moths I think they are? White rice from now on for mee
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

At any given time I usually have 5 different kinds of rice, and brown is not usually one of them. I do like the taste of brown rice, but I much prefer white in almost all settings. Micronutrients and sugar content are not an issue for me, since I cook everything myself up to my own soy milk. That being said, red rice is very similar and I do have it from time to time. Where I am, brown tends to be more expensive in bulk than white (and even red rice) so I go for the 10kg bags.

In order of usage: jasmine, calrose/sushi, sticky rice, basmati, red cargo. I eat a LOT of rice! Starch of choice for me

We always have brown jasmine rice. It is gorgeous, delicious, undislikeable.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I have been buying quite a bit of brown basmati rice which I like - basmati rice is meant to have a lower glycaemic index than some other kinds, if I remember correctly. You can't always find organic brown basmati rice though

Didn't realise you could get brown jasmine rice, sounds good too.

An Irish link: http://www.organicsupermarket.ie/sho...mine-rice-500g

I think the one we usually get is Essential Trading, though.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Thank you David. If I don't come across it before, I'll have a look next time I'm in Wholefoods as they have 99 types of everything there.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Regarding keeping leftover rice - immediately cooling it etc. ... that brought a smile to my face, as it is totally against the practice that is normally done in Asia ... you have the rice in the rice cooker, prepare it at 1800 hours maybe, and the dinner lasts until 2300 hours until everybody who might visit has dropped by and shared a bowl. During that time, the rice is kept heated and possibly re-heated the next day. (At least that is what I have experienced at my wifes family in Taiwan all the time).
    Whew! I was reading through this thread, and was shocked at the risks of leftover rice. It also made me think of my friends from Cambodia who make a full rice cooker for each batch, only to eat from that cooker that is never turned off for the next few days until it is time to make a new batch. They have done this their entire lives, being born in Cambodia and migrating to the US a few years ago. They are fit as can be, and are well into their 60's with no apparent problems. They buy 50 pound bags of rice and literally eat this every day of their life. Now I a little worried about them.

I always make a double batch of rice, so I can make fried rice with the leftovers the next day. I like the texture of fried rice when I make it with chilled leftovers. It is more firm when it hits the oil in a cold state. Or maybe that is my imagination. LOL

OK, have read up on the Bacillus Cereus that causes this food poisoning, and it shows what is the point of keeping the rice warm (above 140 F) in a rice cooker:

Following the outbreak, health officials recommended to day care staff and restaurant food handlers that the practice of cooling rice or any food at room temperature be discontinued, food be maintained at proper temperatures (i.e., below 41 F {5 C} or above 140 F {60 C}), and a thermometer be used to verify food temperatures
    read more here: http://textbookofbacteriology.net/B.cereus_2.html

Seems that those Asian people DO know their rice...

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Seems that those Asian people DO know their rice...
    Yippee! Never doubted it for a second. May the rice cooker cookin' commence!

Seems very wasteful to maintain rice at a high temperature for long periods of time.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Interesting. I love brown rice, but I almost always eat white rice though to try to cut down the amount of fibre in my diet.

I hardly ever eat sugar, so I doubt I'm at a risk of diabetes, and I already get about 600% RDA magnesium and manganese, so the benefits of brown aren't really relevant.
    http://go-go-vegan.blogspot.com

springtulip, I am curious about why you want to cut down the amount of fiber in your diet. Is there a health reason for this? Asked as a fairly new vegan, not in judgment.

(TMI alert) I try to reduce it because if I eat too much (insoluble) fiber, I end up running (literally) to the toilet 4 or 5 times every day, which means I can't go out anywhere where there might not be a toilet available, particularly if I'm expected to eat while I'm there. Obviously, as a vegan, my fiber intake is still much higher than the average person, but little things like white rice and white bread mean that food moves slowly enough through my system to actually get digested. Also, with too much fiber, I get too full and can't eat enough calories to keep my BMI up at 18.
    http://go-go-vegan.blogspot.com

springbulb, I completely understand. And yes, eat what you need to in order to stay at 18+ on the BMI scale. We all have to do what our individual bodies need. No doubt.

Quote springtulip View Post
    Also, with too much fiber, I get too full and can't eat enough calories to keep my BMI up at 18.
    That's really interesting... that may be the reason why I hardly gain weight... Thanks for sharing