Thread: Blood Testing

Default Blood Testing

I am a student nurse from the midwest, US. I am studying for my BSN in the Caribbean before I go back to work in the US, and I have been here for about a year now. I am living on the island of St. Kitts, which is considered third-world at times. I get all my daily calories in, however, my diet is based of what the people on the streets or the small local stores are selling at that time and I feel I have become deficient in several areas depending on what is in season. (Even though I take multivitamin supplements I don't know how well they are being absorbed) I already have an appointment back in the US for blood testing and hair mineral testing for August. I plan to test all my vitamin, mineral, hdl, ldl, rbc, wbc, protein, and estrogen levels.
    Can you think of anything else I am missing that I should get tested?

I also tried taking a Niacin (B3) supplement and learn I am one of those people who have severe Niacin Flushes and this almost lead to an anaphalactic shock reaction yesterday. I wrote about my expierence here: http://strandedstudentnurse.blogspot.com/ Has anyone ever had anything similar?

Thanks for your input!
    Bethany
    IslandVegan, Bethany

Default Re: Blood Testing

Quote IslandVegan View Post
    Has anyone ever had anything similar?
    I've been taking Adrenomax herbal supplement which makes my face flush and burn for about 30 minutes if I take it on an empty stomach.
    (I read on your blog that you're taking a multi-vitamin first thing on an empty stomach. I was told by my nutritionist that taking any vitamins and supplements is pointless on an empty stomach as the body only absorbs them when digesting food, preferably with some oil content. She recommended I take two omega oil capsules with my supplements.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Perfect! Thank you! For the past 2 days I've been taking my vitamins on a stomach full of food in hopes my body is taking what it needs from it. I've stepped back from Niacin, B3 and I think I'll keep a safe distance from that here on out. I think I'll start looking into your Adrenomax Herbal Supplement, because I feel so guilty buying from the big drug companies such as Centrum. I can't wait to get back to the main land and off this island where I'll have all those great local and organic Trader Joe's and Whole Food store to explore and shop at!
    Thanks again Marrers.
    IslandVegan, Bethany

Adrenomax may not be suitable for you Bethany - it's to support the adrenal system. I only mentioned it because you asked whether anyone had had similar side effects.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell