Thread: Food firms spend millions to stop labelling that identifies unhealthy products

Default Food firms spend millions to stop labelling that identifies unhealthy products

Food firms spend millions on push to kill 'traffic light' labelling that would identify unhealthy products

Food companies are spending millions of pounds to kill off a system of 'traffic light' warning labels that would help customers identify unhealthy products.
    Doctors and consumer groups say the labelling is vital to helping families choose a healthy diet and avoid products high in fat, sugar and salt.
    Shoppers support the red, amber and green colour coding on the front of packs, according to research by the Food Standards Agency and consumer group Which?.
    However, food giants, including Tesco, PepsiCo and Kellogg's, have spent tens of millions of pounds on a vast lobbying campaign to put an end to the scheme.
    They fear the regime - that would force them to put red warnings on big-selling sugary drinks and salty snacks - would hit sales and profits.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0rBH4c68F
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Food firms spend millions to stop labelling that identifies unhealthy produ

Interesting idea. I wish they'd bring "stoplight labeling" to the US. I don't think most people bother to check nutrition labels for whatever reasons, and this would be simple way for them to make more informed decisions.
    Eat your veggies!

Default Re: Food firms spend millions to stop labelling that identifies unhealthy produ

I don't know. I'm sure everyone know a box of donuts is bad for you. I don't really see it changing the way people eat.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh