Thread: Ice cream parlour?

not a chef yet

Default Ice cream parlour?

At the moment I'm considering the possibility of opening a vegan ice cream parlour/dessert shop in Nottingham and I'm just wondering how profitable it would be, so I'd really appreciate some feedback about it. I'd want to sell hot drinks, cakes, cookies, pastries, etc, as well as many different flavours of ice cream to eat in or take out. I haven't done any research into premises or loans or business plans yet, but I thought it'd be worth getting some idea of how much business I might expect to generate. Thanks.

Default Re: Ice cream parlour?

Wow

Mmm, nottingham is a bit far thou, even for dessert. I'm not aware of there being much for vegans in nottingham, which could mean you get loads of trade, or could mean there's not a massive vegan population
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I suspect wherever it is it might be hard to be profitable if you only appealed to vegans, but if you could legitimately promote it as healthier - no animal fats etc - you'd get others in as well. Could you do some kind of pilot by having a stall in someone else's shop or in a market, to gauge demand?

I thought there were (or used to be) a few vegetarian and/or vegan restaurants in Nottingham, so maybe you could talk to them about the market? It's not as if you'd probably be competing directly, in fact you could even supply them with icecream.

This would certainly be a marvellous addition to the world.

I think you're at a slight advantage with a vegan ice cream/desserts parlour because it's so easy to make vegan ice cream/desserts that are indistinguishable from dairy/egg/honey based ones. Sure there's not a substitute for everything but you don't have to cover all bases.

I see no reason this couldn't work as long as you can make your ice cream taste just like dairy ice cream and offer a wide range of flavours. I've never made homemade vegan ice cream so I can't say if it's as good as Swedish Glace/Booja Booja but this is certainly something you could experiment with, and I'd say homemade would be essential to keep the costs down, and to provide the range of flavour.

After that you could probably advertise as simply an 'iced desserts parlour' (I don't think you could legally call it 'ice cream'), and you should attract omnivorous custom as well as long as your product is good enough.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Isn't there one in Birmingham? Frank or Treaclemine would know, I would think if you pm them, maybe? I seem to recall them both mentioning it about 18m ago. If it's gone, that might be an indicator of profitability for you...

I think there's somewhere near Brum that has some vegan flavours. Don't think its a dedicated shop.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I'm not aware of there being much for vegans in nottingham, which could mean you get loads of trade, or could mean there's not a massive vegan population
    Well even though I'm not a resident of Nottingham I'm aware that it has a healthy population of vegans and plenty of vegan/vegan friendly eateries! In no small part due to the mighty 'Veggies' catering campaign, I'd dare say. Have a look at this link for a comprehensive list of suitable places to eat and shop http://www.vegan-nottingham.co.uk/

In response to the original post by veganchef though, having looked at the link I just posted there was a post about Dotty's Cafe launching a FaceBook campaign to get more customers to help them stay open, which I think is something you should be aware of. This may be due to the fact that the cafe is located down Mansfield Road which means it's a little way from the centre which could perhaps be having an impact on trade? So if you get the location right I think it could be successful, and I'd certainly come and visit! Or alternatively you could decide to come and set up in Sheffield instead?!

Stuart

Quote harpy View Post
    I suspect wherever it is it might be hard to be profitable if you only appealed to vegans, but if you could legitimately promote it as healthier - no animal fats etc - you'd get others in as well...
    This. I quite honestly think omnis would skip going in over the prospect of getting themselves a 'real' dairy ice cream elsewhere. I'd just go for the animal friendly angle, and corner a larger market. Lots of innovatave, tasty flavours for repeat custom / hefty price tags.

Sounds good though.

We have a place called Maia slap bang in the centre of Glasgow that sells vegan ice cream, but it mainly sells dairy (I suspect for profitability reasons). It's run solely by vegans and veggies. Maybe you could drop them an email to see how they're getting on, given that Glasgow is one of the more vegan-friendly cities in the UK. They do seem like a lovely bunch.

http://www.maiagifts.co.uk/

not a chef yet

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but thanks for all the advice. I think going from a health angle would probably be the best option, as there are more people who are concerned with eating less processed, healthier, and more natural ingredients than those who want to avoid animal products. I might try to start off by supplying vegetarian/vegan cafes and restaurants at first. I'll let you know what I decide to do, though.