Thread: turkish delights

Talking turkish delights

i am so happy i was in sainsburys last week and for some reason i picked up a box of turkish delight thinking why am i bothering it wont be vegan, to my surprise they were and they are GREAT thought i would tell people incase anyone didnt know sainsburys own brand cant stop eating them now though

Default Re: turkish delights

Turkish delight is often vegan suitable; have found many brands over the years.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

IIRC it sometimes isn't as well, though. I think cochineal may be the main hazard as contrary to appearances it's supposed to be thickened with cornflour rather than gelatine.

Useful to know the Sainsbury's one's OK thanks Mchelle - not mad about it myself but it's the kind of thing you can give people as a present isn't it?

o sorry just thought it be useful for some saves reading all the labels when it just says vegan,
    yes harpy would make a nice gift its in a nice purple hexagonal box and also useful for giving a vegan from a non vegan as some who buy for me are forver asking well can you have this least with it labelled its easy, you know i was never much of a fan myself but thought i would try it and its sooooo nice especially the pink ones theres lemon and rose the rose is exactly the same as i remember will definatly be getting more

Perhaps I should give it a try then - another vice for my list

i would my sister used to eat it all time and i was never a fan dont know why i even picked it up, took it home thinking i wouldnt like it but when i see the words vegan on a packet i get happy so thought what the heck if i dont like it can give it hubby, unfortunatly for him i gave him one he loved them then i tried them his face was funny when i said nah you cant have anymore they are great think they was only 2 pound

Poor old husband! It's good they're actually marked vegan.

In my local ethnic store (Paks's in Normanton, Derby if anyone wants to go!) they have imported Turkish delight - all vegan, about ten flabours. My favourite is the pistacchio, made with coconut milk. Tastes just like nougat, which I missed till I discovered this!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Thanks mchelle for the find.

It's strange as I don't really like sweets but I just love Turkish Delight especially the pistachio. I usually get a box of Hazer Baba for Christmas. I really like the box it comes in but some how I don't think it would seem so exotic and a special treat with Sainsbury's splattered across it.

Blueberry - that's a good reason for me to finally visit Derby! I like the Sainsbury's turkish delight. I'm not sure if it's still okay since they have a habit of changing recipes, but the Marks and Spencers turkish delight used to be veg-friendly too, and a bit nicer than the Sainsburys one as well (I think it was finer icing sugar or something, just a cut above).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Anyone know if there is a vegan chocolate-covered Turkish Delight?
    eatalltheveganthings.blogspot.co.uk

No but there is nothing stopping you freezing some vegan TD, then melting some vegan choc and pouring it over, and putting straight in the fridge! Yummy! x
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Quote Blueberry View Post
    No but there is nothing stopping you freezing some vegan TD, then melting some vegan choc and pouring it over, and putting straight in the fridge! Yummy! x
    But that would involve me not being lazy
    eatalltheveganthings.blogspot.co.uk

Lol... fun to do though! Thinking about it myself now! x

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Thinking about chocolate coating some turkish delight for Mr Flibble now! x
    Do it!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock