Thread: will men become extinct eventually?

Default will men become extinct eventually?

how come noone posted this here before?
    or am i just too blind to find any links?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...row-sperm.html

i found discussions about female sperm on several places already, and think it's an important topic

to make it short: british scientists say it might be possible to create sperm from the human bone marrow, and therfore eliminate the need for men in the reproduction process. lesbians who choose to have sperm taken from their own body would presumably have to expect a daughter, because of the lack of Y chromosomes in their body. which is needed to create a boy.

theoretically it is also possible to create eggs from the male bone marrow, but... men have no uterus, and they would be still dependant on a surrogate mother.

i heard there are already more women than men on this world, so if lesbians would go for an artificial fertilisation, and therfore consequently give birth to girls again. men would become more and more outnumbered.. and someday even extinct.

what's your opinion on this?

Buddha Belly

Default Re: will men become extinct eventually?

1-The realities of this means that men will never become extinct as it is a male dominated world and it is more than likely men who will 'own' the process of artificial creation and will never let it make men extinct.
    2- most people like sex
    3- i am not trying to start any arguments here as i don't care either way, but is homosexuality genetic? If not how will lesbians create other lesbians?
    Again don't care about homosexuality being genetic or not. Semi-rhetorical questions

Prawnil

Question Re: will men become extinct eventually?

I'd predict that it probably won't ever work properly. Just a hunch really. Something the article didn't mention was that, at least in the study/ies that I think it's referring to that've used embryonic stem cells to fertilise eggs, "The offspring were either smaller or larger than controls and died prematurely (5 days to 5 months after birth)." (Nayernia 2006). No successful births. And I don't think that the marrow stem cell technique has ever been used to create embryos.
    Needless to say, they aren't talking about humans.

Say it was possible though. It would be a procedure only available to a few wealthy areas of a few wealthy nations; it couldn't possibly eliminate maleness in societies outside of those, especially isolated ones.
    Say it did though! ... what a grim future! [It could make decent apocalyptic sci-fi, if it hasn't already] - Every community would rely entirely on the local fertilisation clinic, on masses of the factors, resources and experts involved, for its survival. Global rule would pass to a gigantic Bio-Tech regime! The people are totally dependent on their services and are under total control! Then there'd be the underground or marginal communities, harbouring males and procreating the ancient way. Perhaps they'd revolt against the new absolute power. Basically: in such a world, human parents would rely 100% on a third party for all reproduction - the balance of power shift would be extreme.

The point would be that the species would, surely (!), not be so demented as to go out on a limb that is utterly dependent on technique external to the human body for continued existence. In some fantasy future when male physiology is rare, a sudden loss of a resource, catastrophic contamination of a growth factor used ex vivo, even loss of power affecting labs, etc. and all hell would break loose because procreation would come to a halt in that region. Males would presumably be held behind-the-scenes or laboratory raised as back up state sperm-donors for emergencies like those.

Another thing to consider is that it is not totally out of the question that the male body could make a comeback in such a world. Sex-determination genetics is by no means fully understood; XX males do exist (so does Y-less sex determination in an entire mammal species, ie. in the mole vole). If, say, a gene sufficient for testes shifted to a chromosome other than Y, but was inactivated by some small mutation, perhaps it would sit dormant until a mutation back into active sequence - there you might have a physiological male again, though I think all XX males are infertile. In this fantasy world, though, infertility isn't a problem anymore! So the appearance of XX males by means not involving the Y chromosome (which are super, super rare) would give the penis its comeback - and be transferrable to children through the standard ex vivo fertilisation of the day. That would also be a strange scenario, because the entire male body might then seem sort of vestigial, not able to bear children like the majority human form of the age, which can.

Altogether weird.

Not if I've got anything to do with it.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    2- most people like sex
    Probably the best argument against men going extinct, I have to say

God I hope not, I'd have to hod my own wood from the woodshed!
    Silent but deadly :p

Lesbians have sex too, guys!

Quote Hemlock View Post
    God I hope not, I'd have to hod my own wood from the woodshed!

HAHAHA!!! That was my first thought LOL

Well, I doubt it since China and India are doing sex selective abortion like HARDCORE, and I think like 100 million girls that would have been born, have been taken out due to sexism and right now there's actually a slight higher number of males in this planet.

I thought it was a great thing since, heh, more men for us, but men found a way to F it up and now sex trafficking, prostitution and sexual assault is up in India and China due to the lack of of women...guh..disgusting jerks.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

leedsveg

The human race will become extinct eventually, but I imagine that won't happen within the next 2 years.

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    The human race will become extinct eventually, but I imagine that won't happen within the next 2 years.

lv
    Pity :-P

At the rate the population is growing, the rate we're raping resources, the age we are living increasing and the price of living going up I doubt even 200yrs. Look at we have done in the last 50yrs to the planet and multiply it exponentially for the next 50yrs. Bad times ahead!!

Unless females manipulate their babies to be female then no, men won't become extinct because there's always a chance of a baby being male.
    I run purely vegan.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

We need to keep men around anyway. Who else is going to open those really tough jars when all our efforts fail?
    I run purely vegan.

leedsveg

Quote MCMLXXXVI View Post
    Failing that, I'm sure a little infanticide of all the males wouldn't be considered morally wrong if they're so crazy as to want to wipe out men in the first place!
    Hi M

I've just deleted my original posting because I was totally misunderstanding what you were saying! Sorry!

(I'm definitely getting dafter as I get older.)

leedsveg
    Last edited by leedsveg; Oct 1st, 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: misunderstood

I bl**dy hope not!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

You all seem to be forgetting that lesbians are not the only women who chose to have children without male involvement, so to speak.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

leedsveg

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    You all seem to be forgetting that lesbians are not the only women who chose to have children without male involvement, so to speak.
    Give us a clue!

lv

LV - What about the women who chose to have children via IVF with no male involvement except obviously the sperm. To them there might as well be no men..... only sperm donors.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

(wailing helplessly) Who would set up my stereo each time I move to a new apartment?!

leedsveg

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    LV - What about the women who chose to have children via IVF with no male involvement except obviously the sperm. To them there might as well be no men..... only sperm donors.
    Bit of an important exception there Emzy! I thought you were going to tell us how it was done without the involvement of any bloke at all. I want my money back!

lv

Me and the missus often "make babies" on our own!

Am I the only one offended by the "but I need a man to (insert sterotypical male job) for me"?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

leedsveg

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Am I the only one offended by the "but I need a man to (insert sterotypical male job) for me"?
    I think people say these things without being totally serious and I'm sure we're 'having our legs pulled'.

leedsveg

Quote DiaShel View Post
    No I agree with you, but I do believe that are taking the pizzle!

I think our planet will die long before all the men do

Quote umbilical View Post
    ... what's your opinion on this?
    My 'blokey' opinion is that it may be not be an entirely bad thing to be a novelty love toy with nowt to fear from the CSA.

On that note I'm off to have sweet day dreams about a world in which women who feel a need for 'the real thing' have to form orderley queues.
    All done in the best possible taste ...